“Friday Lunch Buffet” 4 of 5 stars

Description: 517-333-6536
East Lansing, Michigan, United States
“Friday Lunch Buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

It has been sometime that I had been to Swagath. A dear friend treated me to lunch on Friday, 1-3-2012. First time for me to experience the buffet. All food preparations were nicely displayed, fresh and maintained. They also have added new curtains to give more of a feel perhaps East Indian style.

I just read the last review with a rating of one star. Sometimes I wonder if these are people who have nothing better to do with their time. On that note. I have been to Swagath on several occasions for dinner with my mother. Yes, we had experience slow service, disruptions in the kitchen, and other aspects that did not meet my expectations. However, with last Friday's visit for lunch buffet. It was a positive experience. It was nice to see a lunch crowd there. It was clean and inviting. They are making improvements as they grow and learn.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
Detroit, Michigan
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Excellent lunch buffet. I have been there at least 4 times and it gets better each time. They do a wonderful job of varying the selections and quality is always great. Staff is also welcoming and will provide good tips on how to mix the different options!!

Visited November 2013
East Lansing, Michigan, United States
“Fantastic catering”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The company that I work for often orders catering from Swagath for evening get-togethers. It's not the best Indian food I've ever had, but it's still pretty delicious.

I've been to the buffet at the actual restaurant once before, and the food wasn't nearly as good. Service was so-so, and the place seemed really crammed. I wouldn't eat here again on my own dime, but I won't turn my nose on their catering.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“tasteless food, horrible customer service, over priced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The food is terrible
The buffet is terrible.
The management tries to overbill you just like they do in the store they own next door
I would not recommend this,.

The food it seems is stale and re heated after many days of reuse.
no flavor.
i gave them multiple chances.. always i feel sick the next day after eating here.
they customer service is very bad.. the two owners are very mean characters.. always trying to figure out how to extract every penny from you. watch ur bill closely for the right amount.

the ice cream here is a joke. they literally go to the freezer in the grocery store next door and bring it out from there. sometimes i feel the food is also packaged and reheated.

in the buffet they are very cheap.. always putting no good vegetables.. always putting cheap stuff like soup, salad.. and string beans.. and bread.. and one meat..

they keep all the good stuff for dinner menu or paying menu.

since they opened a year ago.. they have gone down hill
food is not good quality.

avoid if possible. they try to delete bad reviews and manipulate trip advisor ratings.. by asking many staff to post good reviews.. do not fall for it.

this place is not worth the risk..

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Saginaw, Michigan
“Very limited buffet is only option to eat inside restaurant at lunch time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I went to Swagath yesterday at lunch time hoping to try their buffet based on the excellent reviews here on Trip Advisor. I asked if I could check it out before sitting down, but I was very unimpressed with what I saw. There were only a few trays of food that had any meat (I think it was only chicken) and the rest of the buffet, which was quite small, did not look very good to me. I was hoping to try several different dishes, perhaps with lamb or goat, but the selection was very limited. Also, despite the small buffet, it costs $9.99 for lunch on weekdays. I decided I would order something I liked off the menu, but was told that I would have to get that as take-out as they only allowed people who got the buffet to eat in the restaurant during lunch (there were only two other customers in the restaurant at the time). I thought this was a ridiculous policy and decided to go elsewhere.

I was hesitant to review this place as I did not actually eat their food. But, I felt others might want to know about their lunch policies and the buffet selection. One other point: While looking at the buffet, a man dressed in slacks and a button up shirt was bringing the last few trays out to the buffet (which had opened at least 10 minutes earlier). He did not have an apron on or look like he should be handling food, and he picked up a pair of metal tongs that were lying on the side of the pan of naan wedges and threw it on top of the bread, so the handle that everyone touches was also touching the bread (and the next person to pick them up probably would have ended up touching the bread to get them). That pretty much sealed the deal that I was not going to eat the buffet food. I was quite disappointed because so many reviews here say they have excellent food, but based on their policies and what I saw, it wasn't going to happen.

Visited September 2013