“Be careful, some good and some bad” 3 of 5 stars

Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center
219 S. Harrison Road, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824   |
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Be careful, some good and some bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here for a night while in town on business. To start with I will say, that the price I found here was the most reasonable in the region.

I had some troubles finding the place, as my sat nav seemed to not know where it was. Check in was pretty painless and the staff were quite helpful.

I checked into my room, which showed some sign of age and wear. The carpet was filthy. I had to quickly turn around and meet someone for dinner, so I did not do much more investigation.

I had dinner down in the bar, which was desolate. The staff were not very attentive, but when they did attend to me, they were pleasant. The food was pretty good and reasonably priced. The bar sowed signed of dirt as well, but they did have a good beer and wine selection.

After dinner and back in the room is when the problems became noticeable. The rooms are small, but it was when I went to sit down and do some work that I noticed that the chair was so stained that it would be unsanitary to sit on, and the floor below the chair was disgusting.

I called the front desk, who said that they would check to see if there was another room available (the hotel was pretty empty, so I think this was a little unnecessary). After being informed that there was another room available I was told that I would need to come down to the front desk and get my new keys. This was unacceptable and I explained that I would not accept that, and they could send someone up to give me a key. I was told that they were short staffed but they would see if someone was available.

The person who did turn up (David), could not have been nicer. He gave me my key and asked if I needed help packing up. I was already packed, but he mentioned that he was aware of the reason for my complaint, and when I showed him the chair and asked him if he would sit on it, he honestly admitted he would not, and the room was not acceptable for guests. He further committed to make sure that the room was taken out of commission until the the problems could be taken care of. The room was 729, so I would be interested if this happens. He then offered to carry my bags to the new room, but insisted on taking me to see the new room first to make sure it was ok.

The new room was fine, slightly smaller I think,, but much better shape. David, then explained that the carpet in my new room should probably be replace, but considering where I was coming from, the fact that it was clean was sufficient.

Would I stay here again? Yes! But I would be careful to inspect my room before I settled in.

Room Tip: Careful inspection of your room when you get it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced due to the inadequate cleaning and preparation of the room to which you were assigned. We are continually striving to improve our guest services and it is distressing when there are oversights such as you experienced. I have discussed this situation with our housekeeping managers and they are taking appropriate action to ensure that all items, including furniture and carpet, are inspected before the room is made available to the next guest. We appreciate the positive feedback you gave regarding our restaurant and staff and are pleased that you were satisfied with the new room assignment. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
commerce twp
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

was told at check that no rooms were available until after 7 pm that just about ruined my tailgating plans put a bad start to the weekend they were rude pertaining to this and did not offer any discount or compensation for this major inconvience. i was completely disappointed and will more than likely never stay there again. i paid $200 for what i feel is not worth it. i was told this was the nicest hotel in east lansing well news flash they are not.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rebecca S, General Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Football season is an exciting and exceptionally busy time of the year for our hotel and
we make every effort to accommodate our guests. The MSU football team stays at the Kellogg Center the evening before all home games; a tradition at MSU for decades. We are sold out a year in advance for the following season’s Spartan home football games, and prior to our knowing which games will be played in the evening. When there are evening games, the team does not walk to the stadium until late afternoon, thus creating a delay in cleaning the rooms for our new arrivals. All guests assigned to rooms scheduled for late check-in are notified and offered a secure place to store their luggage until after the game. A last minute cancellation and subsequent booking via the internet would not get the late check-in information. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and are currently looking into ways to post this information on our hotel and reservations website.

We thank our loyal Spartan fans for their continued patience and support during these necessary adjustments to our normal operating procedure.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I had the good fortune of a suite included in my wedding package, so my husband and I stayed in a 7th floor suite. It was a good size, with 1 1/2 baths, a dining room and living room and separate bedroom.
The lighting was a bit of an issue, the light switches are not set up in convenient locations and there was a feeling that the rooms were rather dim. There were not many glasses available in the room either, which was inconvenient. Room service was a bit slower.
Some pros, very close to campus, especially Brody (the primarily freshman dorm complex), a few places to eat, such as the Harrison Roadhouse, and parking is included. There is also a bar/restaurant on site.
I feel as though if I was staying in the hotel in a regular room, not related to my wedding, I would have rated the hotel a bit lower. I think there may be better options in the area at similar rates.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for your recent critique of your stay at our hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us . We are always striving to improve our facility and are currently looking into different lighting options for our guest rooms.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My room was very nice and clean, and seemed recently renovated - especially the bathroom. Great views and lots of windows on the top floor!

Very convenient to have the conference rooms for the program I attended in the same building. I had one catered group dinner in the hotel and the food was pretty good. It was a 15-20 minute walk to an area with lots of restaurants. There was also a newly built dining hall directly across the street that was pricey and busy but had good food.

Customer service here was very good -- after I booked online they emailed to ask if I needed a pickup by their free shuttle service from the Michigan Flyer bus dropoff location nearby. Thanks for the offer! I did that and the free shuttle was convenient with friendly drivers.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have great views and lots of natural light!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay here at the Kellogg Hotel & Conference Center. Your vantage point gives us the best critique of our facility and services. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your positive comments.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed one night in a small suite room with our children as we wanted to show our children the MSU campus, my husband being an alumni. When we woke up, I was covered in bites on my back and parts of lower torso. My husband promptly called the front desk to speak with a manager. The manager did not do anything and informed my husband that the hotel had never had a bed bug problem. When we returned home, we did some research as my bites continued to itch and I had never had a rash or bites like this before! The bites were in the classic bed bug presentation of a line known as "breakfast, lunch and dinner" and I had random other bites. I contacted the hotel several times. At no point did anyone apologize or offer to clean our luggage, which I informed them still remains in our garage as we do not want to have an infestation in our home. One manager did confirm that the hotel had a bed bug problem "about a year ago," but that a housekeeping staff did not see any bugs in our room. We asked what they were doing to eradicate the problem. I was appalled that being a hospitality school and the association with MSU that the management never apologized nor offered any compensation for this terrible stay in their bug infested room!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
I would like to take this opportunity to respond to the posting on July 13, 2012, in which a guest suggested she had been bitten by bed bugs while staying at our hotel. The guest contacted us regarding her concerns and asked to have the issue investigated. It is the policy of our hotel to investigate thoroughly all guest complaints and provide compensation for any loss or inconvenience for which we are found culpable. Upon hearing from her regarding her symptoms, we not only sent our own housekeeping staff in to check for evidence, but also called the University Pest Control Service who did a thorough inspection of the room she was in and found no evidence of bed bugs. She was subsequently advised of these findings and offered a copy of the professional’s report.

Beg bugs are introduced to hotels by guest luggage and clothing which can carry and harbor the eggs of the parasite for long periods of time. This is why hotels worldwide, including ours, train their personnel to do thorough inspections of mattresses and bedding on a routine basis. Since many bug bites emulate one another in symptoms and appearance, it is often difficult for the lay person to distinguish one insect bite from another or to know when and where they actually had the exposure. It is always advisable when you have such concerns to consult your health care provider to get an informed diagnosis.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

It's old, and the room was showing its age a bit, but it was large, everything worked, even the internet which others seem to have had problems with. Friendly reception, unless you wanted something out of the routine. Good airport transfer service. Worst part was the in-house bar in the evening - attractive to look at but staffed by a young guy who was very resentful of any customer interrupting his conversation with a female friend of his. Complaints to reception and later emailed to management went unanswered. I guess at a place like this they don't need repeat business, they certainly don't seem to want it. (There's a good bar five minutes walk to the north - the Harrison Roadhouse)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Holland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

The staff and the meeting rooms are great. However, the sleeping rooms are small, poorly lighted, and the halls are very noisy. The internet service is very difficulty to get on and you have to deal with the University IT Desk. Once you get on, it works, but it takes forever to get on.

Rooms are not well stocked with coffee cups or coffee.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center? Share your experiences!