“7th floor suite- good experience” 4 of 5 stars

Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center
South Harrison Road, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824   |
Ranked #5 of 9 hotels in East Lansing
Washington, DC
“7th floor suite- good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I had the good fortune of a suite included in my wedding package, so my husband and I stayed in a 7th floor suite. It was a good size, with 1 1/2 baths, a dining room and living room and separate bedroom.
The lighting was a bit of an issue, the light switches are not set up in convenient locations and there was a feeling that the rooms were rather dim. There were not many glasses available in the room either, which was inconvenient. Room service was a bit slower.
Some pros, very close to campus, especially Brody (the primarily freshman dorm complex), a few places to eat, such as the Harrison Roadhouse, and parking is included. There is also a bar/restaurant on site.
I feel as though if I was staying in the hotel in a regular room, not related to my wedding, I would have rated the hotel a bit lower. I think there may be better options in the area at similar rates.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for your recent critique of your stay at our hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us . We are always striving to improve our facility and are currently looking into different lighting options for our guest rooms.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback.

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My room was very nice and clean, and seemed recently renovated - especially the bathroom. Great views and lots of windows on the top floor!

Very convenient to have the conference rooms for the program I attended in the same building. I had one catered group dinner in the hotel and the food was pretty good. It was a 15-20 minute walk to an area with lots of restaurants. There was also a newly built dining hall directly across the street that was pricey and busy but had good food.

Customer service here was very good -- after I booked online they emailed to ask if I needed a pickup by their free shuttle service from the Michigan Flyer bus dropoff location nearby. Thanks for the offer! I did that and the free shuttle was convenient with friendly drivers.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have great views and lots of natural light!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay here at the Kellogg Hotel & Conference Center. Your vantage point gives us the best critique of our facility and services. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your positive comments.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed one night in a small suite room with our children as we wanted to show our children the MSU campus, my husband being an alumni. When we woke up, I was covered in bites on my back and parts of lower torso. My husband promptly called the front desk to speak with a manager. The manager did not do anything and informed my husband that the hotel had never had a bed bug problem. When we returned home, we did some research as my bites continued to itch and I had never had a rash or bites like this before! The bites were in the classic bed bug presentation of a line known as "breakfast, lunch and dinner" and I had random other bites. I contacted the hotel several times. At no point did anyone apologize or offer to clean our luggage, which I informed them still remains in our garage as we do not want to have an infestation in our home. One manager did confirm that the hotel had a bed bug problem "about a year ago," but that a housekeeping staff did not see any bugs in our room. We asked what they were doing to eradicate the problem. I was appalled that being a hospitality school and the association with MSU that the management never apologized nor offered any compensation for this terrible stay in their bug infested room!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
I would like to take this opportunity to respond to the posting on July 13, 2012, in which a guest suggested she had been bitten by bed bugs while staying at our hotel. The guest contacted us regarding her concerns and asked to have the issue investigated. It is the policy of our hotel to investigate thoroughly all guest complaints and provide compensation for any loss or inconvenience for which we are found culpable. Upon hearing from her regarding her symptoms, we not only sent our own housekeeping staff in to check for evidence, but also called the University Pest Control Service who did a thorough inspection of the room she was in and found no evidence of bed bugs. She was subsequently advised of these findings and offered a copy of the professional’s report.

Beg bugs are introduced to hotels by guest luggage and clothing which can carry and harbor the eggs of the parasite for long periods of time. This is why hotels worldwide, including ours, train their personnel to do thorough inspections of mattresses and bedding on a routine basis. Since many bug bites emulate one another in symptoms and appearance, it is often difficult for the lay person to distinguish one insect bite from another or to know when and where they actually had the exposure. It is always advisable when you have such concerns to consult your health care provider to get an informed diagnosis.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

It's old, and the room was showing its age a bit, but it was large, everything worked, even the internet which others seem to have had problems with. Friendly reception, unless you wanted something out of the routine. Good airport transfer service. Worst part was the in-house bar in the evening - attractive to look at but staffed by a young guy who was very resentful of any customer interrupting his conversation with a female friend of his. Complaints to reception and later emailed to management went unanswered. I guess at a place like this they don't need repeat business, they certainly don't seem to want it. (There's a good bar five minutes walk to the north - the Harrison Roadhouse)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
HOLLAND
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

The staff and the meeting rooms are great. However, the sleeping rooms are small, poorly lighted, and the halls are very noisy. The internet service is very difficulty to get on and you have to deal with the University IT Desk. Once you get on, it works, but it takes forever to get on.

Rooms are not well stocked with coffee cups or coffee.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

The perfect location for our one night MSU college visit. Especially convienient for out of state visitors without a car as its within walking distance to the main campus facilities, restaurants and shops. Fast check in by efficient and friendly receptionist. The double room was nicely decorated and had a sitting area with a sofa and TV which could be watched from the bed. Coffee and tea was provided. The bathroom was small and the shower, which was a drain in the floor with a curtain around it, resulted in a wet bathroom floor. A major design flaw and only issue during our stay..

The hotel has a conveience store and restaurant in the lobby. A wide selecton was offered at the breakfast buffet with helpful staff there too. The hotel provides shuttle service from Lansing airport and to other campus buildings and restaurants. Just schedule before hand. We had a very pleasant, knowledgeable shuttle driver who was kind enough to give us a personal tour of the campus. Excellent staff at the Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Marquette, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

This hotel is well appointed, with business friendly amenities. The rooms are small but nicely decorated. The room service is typical (slightly cold upon arrival and expensive). The staff are all well trained and happy to help. In all I would recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center? Share your experiences!