“Great, creative entrees; service usually good” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations
Greater Lansing
“Great, creative entrees; service usually good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We discovered Copper initially using a Groupon; we thought the food quality was outstanding and they had a house-made "adult" lemonade which was delicious. Since then we have been back a few times and have not been disappointed at all in the food. Service has been hit and miss; one time at 9:30 pm the hostess brought out the vacuum and started vacuuming loudly near our table to clean up for the night even though there were still diners present. Generally seems to be staffed by college students rather than full time servers, a bit of training would enhance the otherwise excellent food.

Visited May 2012

East Lansing, Michigan
“Maybe dinner is better?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My friend and I were there for lunch, and her brisket was inedible (she is a discerning diner). My entree was forgettable. Our server was very apologetic and took her entree off the bill and encouraged us to come back for dinner, when, apparently, the kitchen cranks it up a notch. Haven't been back for dinner, yet.

Williamston, Michigan
“Gratuity and tip?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Copper is standing out only in that that you are suppose to pay tip twice. Food is not bad but nothing worth coming back for, decor is very medicare, and we ate at the table covered in…brown packing paper! Brown packing paper was put over the table cover and was not even cut but torn on the edges! This is not the experience I want to have while I am eating at the rather expensive restaurant. Service lady was very nice, attentive, and tried very hard but was not entirely professional since she talked about her children and poured drinks from the wrong side. We wanted to give her good tip. When we got a bill (which we paid for 9 people) there was already 20% of "gratuity" included, which would be fine if it wasn't for the next line on the bill: "Tip…". We were so stunned that they want us to tip them twice that we added another almost 20% (to round the bill we added 17%). So we ended up paying 37% tip for a very average dining experience. Do they think that people do not know that gratuity is the same as a tip? I am still confused why they would ask twice for the tip.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Grand Isle, Vermont
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

This is probably one of the better restaurants in the Lansing areas. And that speaks to the poor quality of the restaurant scene. Service was glacial. We waited long intervals, bread didn't come until just before the entree, and we were served the entree without replacement flatware for what had been taken away. The panko coating detracted from the crab cake and the sauce was forgettable. The beet salad had little flavor. The whitefish itself was fine but the broccoli served with it was unpleasant and the polenta uninteresting. I noticed nothing on the wine list that is not routine. Not quite bad but nothing exciting.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lansing, MI
“Wonderful intimate dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Oh this is my favorite new find in the Lansing area. This gem is hidden away in the Walnut Hills Country Club, which can be a bit difficult to find if you don't know where it is. I'd highly suggest going there while it's still daylight on your first venture.

This country club has undergone some renovation lately, and while I seldom go to country clubs, the atmosphere in this restaurant is not what I'd expect. Copper is very trendy and attractive, not old-fashioned and stuffy in any way. Our service from beginning to end was excellent. She was very knowledgeable about the menu and was very approachable, but professional. No one calling you "hon" here.

We split a roasted beet salad, which was huge. It was incredibly awesome! The fresh flavor combinations were a surprising delight. I never thought I'd like a beet salad this much. I loved that the beets were grated and piled with these flavors so every bite was complete. Then we tried their pumpkin soup. Oh my gosh was that delicious, yummy and hearty without being overly rich with cream. I would love to have that recipe. I was so blown away by our first two items that when the entree came, I was actually a little bit disappointed. I had a seafood linguine dish that I can't remember the name of. It had scallops, salmon and shrimp. The sauce was flavorful and not overly rich. But the scallops were not seared, and they were a little bland. The shrimp was a tad too done. The salmon was done just perfectly and it was very tasty. Overall, a worthy entree, just not as great as the prior courses.

While Copper won't be a frequent stop because we don't spend that much very often, not that it's terribly high, we will definitely keep it on our list for special occasions.

• Visited February 2012