“Pick another hotel! Stay here at your own risk!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Dundee
michigan
“Pick another hotel! Stay here at your own risk!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

I am sorry to say that this hotel doesn't care one bit about its guests. I have never slept on beds so uncomfortable in my life. When we tried to talk to the manager about the trouble, we were told they were aware of the problem and that the hotel was planning on replacing all of the matresses at the end of the summer. I found it funny that in all of the rooms there is a sign quoting Holiday Inn's Hospitality Promise. If they can't fix the problem, you don't pay for that part of your stay. I wonder how much a nights sleep is worth? Not only did the manager NOT offer to move us to a different room to see if the beds would be more comfortable (the hotel was less than 25% full during our stay), when we asked for an 800 number to call in a customer service complaint, she told me to find one on the internet when we returned home because she didn't know the number. The hotel is clean enough and the decorations are okay, so if you are not concerned with comfort then you will be fine. However, be aware of the value, or lack thereof. You can't check-in until late afternoon and the waterpark closes promptly at 10pm, even on weekends. By the time we got unpacked and all of the kids were dressed to swim, they only had two hours in the water at most since we also had to stop to have a dinner. For $145.00 we could have stayed at home and purchased water park passes that would have given us a full day of swimming. One last thing, older children are not going to get much out of this waterpark. The younger kids seem to love it, but it is a VERY small water park. One good thing, I was very impressed with the attentiveness of the lifeguards.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Lansing, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

My two children (8 & 9 years) and I stayed at the Holiday Inn / Splash Universe on a Thursday night. The hotel was easy to find, and all of the staff were extremely friendly. The room was very clean and basic, and we enjoyed the in-room DVD player once the water park closed for the night. The free breakfast was very nice, as were the staff assisting guests there. It was a very family friendly place.

The water park itself was smaller that many of the Michigan places we have been to like Great Wolf, but it had everything we needed. It was not real busy, especially since Friday was a school day and that made it exceptionally nice. As we were leaving at 5, it was getting pretty busy w/ birthday parties, and I am thinking I wouldn't go there on a weekend because of that. My son also delveoped a rash after leaving, but I am guessing that spending 8 hours at the park w/o a shower led to that problem, as neither my daughter or I experienced anything. The little snack bar was great and reasonably priced - we didn't have to leave at all to eat and the selections were great. All in all, it was a great little get away!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

We took our family here for my son's 12th birthday. There were 5 of us and we stayed in the family fun suite. We could not have asked for a better experience. It was wonderful. The kids had their own bunk bed room with their own tv. Everyone had their own little get away. The water park and arcade was super fun, we had a blast! There is something for all ages. We will for sure be going back!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

My husband and kids came to visit while I was working in Michigan (1/09). We had heard from others that the waterpark was small and the hotel could be noisy but we had a great experience. My 1 and 5 year old loved it! They had a wonderful experience from the time they walked in the lobby and saw all the "dead stuffed animals" on the walls and ceiling. The hotel and room decor fits in with the Cabela store next store. The waterpark was smaller then others we have been to but perfect for a 1 and 5 year old. The restaurant on site served pizza and decent beer and wine so everyone was happy. Ideally we would have wanted a 2 queen room but they were booked so we booked a king with a pull out couch. The hotel called the day of our reservation to let us know they had the room we requested available. I was impressed that they bothered to call. My husband said breakfast was very crowded in the mornings but there was a sign in the room warning that it would be and to go as early as your could. I had read other reviews and was prepared for the noise and crowds and would just say that is what we expected going to a hotel and water park that is geared to kids.

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Lansing, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

Very Disappointing! Having been to a number of hotel/waterparks I can honestly say that I will never go back to this one.

We went January 23-25, 2009. Friday night the Dundee Elementary school was there. According to one employee this was an additional 325 people. We were tripping over winter boots, coats, etc trying to get into the pool area. On Saturday the 24th was all the local boy scout/cub scouts troops and well as a number of birthday parties. Overly crowded!! Did I mention that these groups were not staying at the hotel just using the waterpark.

The Lazy River resembled a salmon run at its peak!! Couldn't use (or even find) a tube to save your life!!

I paid $189/night plus tax and couldn't even find a table around the pool area to even sit down and have a snack - the food in the pool area marginal.

I will give them credit - the rooms were very clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food in the pub was very good.

They need to limit the "outside" guests - meaning those not staying in the hotel and do a little more focusing on the hotel guests. Possible limit the outsider from 9am - 3pm and then after 3pm for hotel gusts only. Because I am paying $189 or more per night.

• Liked — Nice rooms
  • Disliked — the water park was overly crowded
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

the rooms are clean....but, very very hot. beds are comfy. we had the king suite - w/ 1 bunkbed. it is just a room w/ a divider wall. fine. tv in bunk area has no dvd. dvd is w/ main bed. frig and coffee maker in room. good shower.

noisy family above us....very noisy. mgmnt not very helpful.

waterpark is small. which is good in the sense that i didnt have to go in and worry for safety reasons. they make it seem larger on webiste though.

arcade is nice size also. typical arcade w/ typical junk to win. good cold labatts draft at treehouse. but, nonetheless, the arcade is just fine.

didnt eat there. went to scope out breakfast...opted to go to bobevans which is right across the way.

got take out from riverside pizza. okay. not bad.

all for families. could not imagine any person over the age of 17 without kids wanting to stay here though.

i think that about sums it up for this one.

i dont like waterparks, but, since it is small, it served its purpose for the kids.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Lansing, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2008

I've stayed here a couple of time (business and pleasure). When school is in session the water park is not open, but the hotel is nice nontheless. There is no hot tub in the "regular" pool area. There also is not a business center- so you can't print boarding passes. I asked if front desk had any hand lotion - told that they did not. I was surprised as most HIE have well stocked toiletries at the desk. Breakfast is OK, slightly below average for a HIE as far as selection. No flavored creamer for coffee- missing little things like that. the room itself had a rattling heater, but staff moved me to another room with no question. Beware that the queen "suite" is just a room with two queen beds. They do have other types of suites that are bigger with multiple rooms, etc. Overall, very clean room, nice staff, safe feeling. There are a couple of restaurants walking distance and Cabella's, but not much else. Internet worked fine. When I stayed here with extended family for water park fun, that was fun too. Waterpark is medium sized among the parks in MI. Bigger kids would probably get bored pretty quick, but little ones are well entertained.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Holiday Inn Dundee - Waterpark? Share your experiences!