“Nothing particularly special... Pros and Cons” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Dundee
MN
“Nothing particularly special... Pros and Cons”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We (family of two adults and two kids, 3 and 6 years of age) recently stayed 4 nights at this hotel. It actually isn't a Holiday Inn Express anymore- just a Holiday Inn and that basically means no free breakfast anymore- which we didn't know until we checked in... The check in was fine, the staff was helpful and the rooms were clean and stocked with Bath and Body Works products, but this is where the 'pro' column ended for us. The advertised 'free wi-fi' wasn't working the entire time we stayed. We called the front desk, they told us to call the IT tech support... I spoke with them a few times and it still wasn't able to be resolved. We were billed the full amount upon leaving, but when I asked for a reduction due to the lack of one of the main advertised services, they were fine about it so that was nice. Kids do eat free breakfast and dinner with paid adult but we only ate there once, it wasn't very good. The pool was tiny and there was no hot tub, probably because they want you to go to the Splash Universe water park that is attached. We did, and it was fun, but expensive, like $40 a person which seemed a bit much for the scale of park. The best thing about this hotel was the location- it was right off major roads and surrounded by shops, gas stations, restaurants, etc so easy access to whatever. However, there are several other hotel chains right there as well, so unless we got a spectacular deal next time I would be considering the other chains myself.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Peter M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dundee - Waterpark, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Hello ScarlettFeather,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your visit to Splash Universe-Dundee Michigan. We were happy to read about your recent visit to our resort, and thank you for all of your comments. We appreciate all suggestions both pro and con. The best value if you are visiting for our Splash Universe Water Park is to book a water park package room which includes 4 passes to the water park for the day of arrival through the day of departure.

We regret to hear about the issues you experienced with the internet access, but are happy to hear that you were pleased with our response. We strive to always improve all of our guest amenities and services including WIFI. Our team always enjoys receiving positive comments on our resort’s appearance and our location, and again we thank you for your post.
We look forward to your next visit to our resort.

138 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed here at the last min. as we had decided to go to the NASCAR race at MIS at the last min. This hotel does have a waterpark attached but we didnt use it. There was also just a standard pool to use. Since we booked on Hotwire, we did not pick the room. It turned out to have 2 sets of bunkbeds with a seperation to the queen bed. There was a frig, microwave and 2 TVs. There was a table and chairs. The staff was great, no problems. And the place is decorated like a cabin in the woods. The lobby must have been decorated by Calbelas. Several resturants outside the hotel. And a small breakfast buffet was available upstairs of the waterpark.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Madtravler711,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your visit to Splash Universe-Dundee Michigan. We were happy to hear that you chose us for your visit. We also believe we have a great location. We do receive a lot of positive comments on our resort’s room amenities and appearance.

We look forward to having you as our guest for the August Races at MIS. Be sure and tell your friends about your stay.

Cleveland Heights, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Stayed here with the soccer team. Check in was awful. Arrived 11:30 at night - exhausted with three kids. There was a mix up with my reservation and the front desk person did not know what to do so he asked me to wait. Some random person comes in off the street asking for a room, and takes care of her first. He asked if I wouldn't mind letting her go in front of me, it would only take a minute (or 10 that it actually took) .

Room was OK. Got a King size with 2 bunk beds. My window was on the first floor facing an outdoor area with super bright lights. Of course, I could not shield out the light with only the sheers to pull over the window (Why do hotels set the window coverings up that way?) had a difficult nights sleep because of the brightness. In room fridge and Bath and Body works toiletries were a nice touch. Laundry room came in handy. Cleaning staff was super friendly. Breakfast was OK (eggs were gross as they usually are at these places) - staff in the restaurant area was attentive - someone in our group had a hair in their eggs - the staff handled it by not charging for that breakfast - so at least they did the right thing. we did not go to the waterpark - looked like it would be more exciting for those under 10.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dundee - Waterpark, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear sassymouthsue,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Dundee and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. I am pleased you liked the toiletries in your bathroom and found both our housekeeping and restaurant staff to be friendly and attentive. We work very hard to ensure that our products and services are superior. I am disappointed and sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our front desk staff as well as the window covering in your room. I understand that having a good night sleep is important to our guest. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very nice and clean. However, you have to like the outdoors to like the rooms. Checkin was a little slow, but not terrible.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Hello Julie B,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your visit to Splash Universe-Dundee Michigan. We like to hear from all of our guests and read their comments. We review all guest suggestions and appreciate your thoughts on our theme/decor. We do receive a lot of positive comments on our resort’s appearance, but understand your point of view.

Monroe, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed overnight in August, 2011, in a room with a king bed and a single bunkbed for the kids. The kids loved it, but really, it was a basic room. Nice touches, but very basic.

We've been to the waterpark a few times. The food in the hotel and park is very bland. Don't bother--go to McDonald's for lunch and you'll be wayyy ahead. Don't order a pizza at the snack bar! The worst frozen pizza you ever had will be miles better than what you'll pay a premium price for at the snack bar.

Families with small children BEWARE: the flooring in the kiddie pool is like #2 grit sandpaper! Very dangerous! My 5YO slipped on the 'entry ramp' and skinned her leg from her ankle to her bootie BADLY. Not just a skinned knee, she was INJURED and required first aid. I sent Splash U pics on facebook, and they didn't even apologize, just said they'd 'look into' resurfacing. Not even a 'feel better soon.' Classy.

For my money, I won't be going back. I'd rather drive an extra hour to Great Wolf Lodge, Kalahari, or Splash Village in Frankenmuth than give our $$ to Splash U. They've shown their true colors, IMO, and I don't wish to support them in any way. All they care about is $$$.

Never again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dundee - Waterpark, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear MonroeMomma,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

This place is so much fun! My favorite part was the tree house.

• Stayed April 2012
Davison, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I booked my trip for last weekend (feb 24-26). I chose this park for its location and what I thought was a good deal, price wise. My family and I went to kalahari in Ohio last year and I will continue to go there from now on. When I booked my reservation I obviously told them what days we were planning on staying and at the end of the converstaion they didnt give me a confirmation number. I called back 2 weeks before to confirm they actually had my reservation and to confirm the dates we were going. We check in on friday and have no problems. Saturday my girls ran back to the room and the cleaning lady told them that they thought we were checking out. At this point, we had rolled into the next day of pricing. when i called the front desk, they told us they didnt have us for saturday as well. My only conclusion to that is because the place is so disappointing they dont normally have people stay more than one night. Our kids had been playing so we obviously got stuck staying.

other problems we ran into: they ran out of towels, how that happens i have no idea. the park could fit in my back yard. completely disappointed with the false advertising making it look like this park was bigger than it was. The food in the restaurant was horrible; bland and cold. We ordered pizza and they told us 15-20 minutes..45 minutes later it was done. The arcade had a bunch of games not working and they had only ONE ticket counter working so I had to stand in line for 20 minutes (literally) to count my tickets.

I got back home and called Kalahari to find out what my price would have been had I just bit the bullet and drove the extra hour...i STILL spent $40 MORE at the crappy Dundee waterpark.

I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone. Nothing about it was a good experience. I would DEFINITELY recommend going to kalahari and spending the extra drive time if you have to. There is sooooo much to do there for ALL ages.

Room Tip: Dont go here and you will be fine.