“Warm, welcoming and wonderful.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sherwood Forest Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Douglas
Sherwood Forest Bed and Breakfast
You added Sherwood Forest Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
938 Center St, PO Box 315, Douglas, MI 49453   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Douglas B&B and Inns
“Warm, welcoming and wonderful.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

Very lovely rooms, beautiful full breakfasts with homemade breads and egg dishes and fresh fruits. A block from the lake with bikes available for leisurely rides along the lake. A private swimming pool in a flower garden with lounge chairs and comfortable furniture on the wrap around porch. The proprietors are happy, helpful and they know where to find everything and all the local things to see and do.

I've traveled extensively in and out of the U.S. and this B and B is in the top 5%.

• Stayed August 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Valparaiso, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed the first week of July for the 4th celebration and an extended honeymoon of our own. I did not believe initially that I was going to have extra days off of work to honeymoon after our wedding. I found our only two weeks or so ahead of time that I could take my vacation days. After searching Douglas/Saugatuck area for available B&B's I came across two or three options, Sherwood being one of them. I tried out Sherwood for the amazing location that it has less than a quarter mile from the beach. Most people actually just walk down to the beach since the road leading to it is very calm. If you want to drive you can however since there are usually multiple available parking spaces. The third transportation option was as other reviews mention, some classic restored Schwinn bikes that the inn-keepers Keith and Sue rent out to residents free of charge.

Upon arrival, we were very happily greeted by Keith, given a quick show of the home and then given a few minutes to take our things to the room. After we settled, we sat down with Keith to the "complimentary entrance drink" and an explanation of the nearby towns, attractions, and local food specialties. Keith and Sue do indeed make it easy to dine as some rather exclusive eateries with their help.

The home is very beautiful with every room having a very different theme. We stayed in the Victorian room as it was the only one still available. As it turns out, the room was amazing, very clean, comforting, and spacious. From what I have read, the log cabin room has a very similar layout and we may try this room on our next stay although it will be hard to leave this one. The room had a full sofa/coffee table, queen size bed facing a double sided fireplace. The other side of the fireplace was faced by what could easily be a four person Jacuzzi, or a very spacious two person tub. Tile was very artistic in the bathroom and truly gave you a feel of old world luxury. A pool and many beach chairs were also available at the house with some very intrinsic artwork covering the entire bottom of the in ground pool.

There was no T.V. in the room which seemed like an oversight at first to me, but after our first night there, I discovered this made for a much more relaxing and quiet stay. There is so much to do in the nearby towns that you will not find yourself missing it. The quiet nature also suits the home far better. There is free wi-fi offered if you have business needs or just want to check your email however. Breakfast was offered over a good two hour span each morning and was very healthy and flavorful. The plates and bowls were once again pieces of beautiful art that I have never seen elsewhere.

This is a great place to stay and I would highly recommend to anyone wishing to spend some time in the area, or if it is your first time staying in a B&B, to definitely give this home a chance. The price is great, and the owners/home are absolutely amazing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Midland, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Sherwood Forest B and B over a weekend in June. It is a great B and B. We enjoy staying at places that are not your typical hotel. This B and B was perfect for us. We stayed in the Treetops room. I don't think you will find a room painted like that any where else in the world. And the pool was painted one of kind also. Keith, the inn keeper, made dinner reservations for us at an independent restaurant in Fennville, where we had a home cooked pizza. Breakfast was unique version of a blueberry covered pancake. The inn is well located close to the beach and sunsets. We highly recommend this B and B.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Our stay was June 8 & 9, 2012. We have stayed at several area B&B's, and Sherwood Forest is our clear favorite. Compared to other Saugatuck B&B's, SF would rate 5 stars, my rating of 4 is based on comparison to all B&B's we are familiar with.

The location is outstanding, only a couple blocks from a relatively quiet (at least when we were there) sandy public beach on Lake MI. The neighborhood is quaint, quiet and restful, away from the bustle of downtown but the drive into either Saugatuck or Douglas is only a couple minutes. While walking into town wasn't a practical option for us, for some (younger) lodgers, it would probably be ok, only a couple miles.

SF is a beautiful old home, well maintained, and surrounded by lovely gardens and landscaping. It boasts a very usable swimming pool, something not many B&B's have. The common areas are decorated tastefully with period furniture and accessories, and the large covered porch is a great place to sit out and enjoy breakfast, or a glass of wine in the evening. Wine glasses and an opener are available in the common area, as is coffee in the morning beginning around 830.

Our check-in went smoothly, despite the fact that Keith and Sue were just leaving to attend a graduation when we arrived. Keith and Sue are very gracious hosts, engaging guests who wish to chat, and leaving alone those who prefer their own company. They are very attentive without hovering, a balance that seems to elude many B&B proprietors. They gladly took care of a couple special requests we had, and I would definitely suggest getting their assistance if you plan to eat at Everyday People, a highly-rated area restaurant that doesn't accept reservations. They obviously have some "pull" there.

We stayed in the log cabin suite, and I must say it is among the nicest, and largest, rooms we have ever booked at a B&B. You might find the decor a little tedious if you are not a fan of wood, but we loved the log walls and wood ceiling and floors. The bathroom had a shower, two sinks, and a large jacuzzi that was more than adequate for two people (and I am 6'3" and 220). Furnishings include a mission-style love seat, coffee table, and chest of drawers, in addition to the bed. The bed faces a two-sided fieldstone fireplace that also faces the jacuzzi in the bathroom. The gas fireplace did not appear to be turned on, however as the weather was warm we didn't bother to inquire after it. The bed was a bit firm for our tastes, but nothing we couldn't handle. We peeked in a few of the open rooms, and although they appeared charming, the spaciousness and amenities of the log cabin suite will make this room our choice when we stay there again, which we definitely plan to do.

Breakfasts were not what I would call over the top, but certainly adequate and well-prepared. On Saturday the hot dish was a quiche, and on Sunday blueberry pancakes. Additionally, a full complement of continental breakfast items was available each day, along with fresh baked muffins. I liked the coffee a lot, and I'm the type who grinds my own beans every morning. The hosts make bicycles available to guests. We didn't take advantage of this free offering, but the bikes appeared to be in serviceable condition, and would be an option for a trip into town.

In my view, SF represents an exceptional value among B&B's in this area. We try to spend one or two weekends a year in the Saugatuck area, and this is an inn we will unquestionably book again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed here June 9, 10 and 11. We are in our 60's and travel a lot. We always use Trip Advisor to help us make a decision but we always look at the reviews with a grain of salt.This B&B is wihout a doubt the best we have ever experienced.The location is close enough to experience all that Saugatuck has to offer within a 10 min car ride but is far enough away to give you peace and quite. Your hosts Keith and Sue will make you feel at home in just hours. Public access to the Lake Michigan beach is just a few blocks walk. You need an Beach Umbrella and Beach Chairs? They are in the garage, just help yourself. You want to take a bike ride! Just let them know. The many bikes to chose from are in the garage, just help yourself. As soon as you arrive Keith greets you with a cold drink of you choice and proceeds to explain the area in detail with recommendations on where to go for dinner, etc.We live in Chicago and know what fine dining is. We took him up on two of the resturants and we had a dining experience at each that we won't soon forget. It was very warm this weekend and after a morning and early afternoon the pool at the B&B was salvation. After my swim I even fell asleep for a short nap under the shade at the pool. Breakfast on the wrap around front porch was just wonderful. Sue prepared what she called a blue berry oven baked pancake which was out of this world. I guess I could go on and on. Bottom line, go here if you can get reservations. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

My husband and I will stay here every time we are in the area. We love this B&B. Great innkeeper and he gives you great recommendations for food. We visited every place he recommended and they were all outstanding. You get a wonderful breakfast in the morning and great coffee! They have bikes so you can ride along the shore or to town. We love this place because it is quiet and not near the downtown and not near a busy road. Will always continue to stay at this B&B.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Du Quoin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here one night on a little road trip with my parents (so two couples-two rooms). It was charming and the inn keeper was delightful! He made great recommendations for meals and sightseeing. We took his advice and were very pleased!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sherwood Forest Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!