“Overall, not a bad hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Detroit Regency Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1999 East Jefferson Avenue, Detroit, MI 48207   |
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Crystal Lake, Illinois
“Overall, not a bad hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

All the hotels downtown were booked solid on 6/26 & 6/27 and this was the closest available. I didn't know that one of the biggest fireworks display's were on the night of the 26th. I read the reviews and was a little hesitant, but I was pleasently surprised when I got there even though there were mobs of people lining the streets. I was met by a cheerful security lady, the front desk people were nice as well. My room was very clean, but did smell a little musty. I just opened the window to get some fresh air and it was gone. Good free shuttle service, the continental breakfast was not the best, but it had the basics. The bed was comfortable and the shower worked well. No complaints from this guy, just your basic no frills hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing Jefferson
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed Sat June 23,2012 for one night,we went to The River Days Festival then on the Detroit Princess,we didnt want to drive home so me planned on finding a inexpensive room, that we did. $99 for the night, it's not too far from downtown.We stayed on the first floor,the room was clean,it did smell like smoke but from the reviews I read I was prepared for that, I sprayed th entire room including the sheets with lysol. Wear your slippers on the carpet of course. We didnt have any issues,we felt safe,friendly staff,overall it was a bargain and cheaper than a dui.

• Stayed June 2012
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We were going to the Grand Prix and didn't want to "break the bank!". This room was very adequate for what we were looking for. It had free shuttle available, friendly staff, secured lot, continental breakfast and was clean. The downfall would be that due to the many functions happening downtown, the halls stayed noisy well into the early hours of the next morning. But overall, the stay was good, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again!

Room Tip: There is no pool, nor room service but it is in close proximity to most every fast food and some fin...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I read through these reviews prior to making my reservations and staying here and figured it didn't sound too bad. In reality...It's horrible!! Room stunk like smoke, hair in the toilet (yes that kinda hair), less than desirable sheets, shower backed up to my ankles while showering and then some black stuff came out of the drain when I was done, loud people in the halls kept me up the entire night, the T.V. is from 1982, etc... The hotel is gross, nasty, and someplace I'd smoke some crack and take a hooker. Why it's so expensive I'll never understand. If you don't mind musky, dirty, hotel rooms then the pluses are: It's close to downtown, it has a free shuttle though it only goes until midnight, the staff is somewhat friendly, the parking lot is lit up like a Christmas tree at night, and they have security. I'd suggest going elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

The entire stay was just beyond amazing. The music festival was awesome, the hotel was awesome, the staff was awesome. The free shuttle was a tremendous help, the free breakfast was more than standard and excellent location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I had to book a Hotel in Detroit in a very last moment of my travel and I did not have time to hunt through the sites for reviews. The first site I logged in was bookings.com and the first hotel which came up was Detroit Regency Hotel. I was hesitant at first but i went ahead and booked it. Now I have no regret for the decision I made. Hotel is in the best location, downtown is very nearby. Lot of visiting site are close by. I really like the friendliness of the staff. I checked in very late in the evening. The front office staff first offered me coffee before getting my details on booking and that made my first impression on the hotel. Later that week, I called up the front desk to book a taxi for me. I came out and was waiting for my cab. As it was taking time Andy offered to drop me in the Hotel Shuttle service van. I was having a conversation with him while he was dropping me to GM Center, which is when I knew he was the hotel Manager. It was nice of him to drop me to my office as I was already late. I had nice trip and one of the reason is Detroit Regency hotel... When I visit again.. This would be the only hotel of my choice to stay... Many thanks to Steve, Andre & Andy.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Detroit
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I thought that it had ben renovated and was up to par, especially for the prices they charge....my room smelled like smoke, the tv remote didnt work, only 1 lamp worked, the bed looked like it was just slept in, then to top it all off once I got that straight, when I woke up the next moring I had been bitten by something all over my back, whatever bit me made me sick as hell I was throwing up,fever and my pressure went up had to go to the ER, so beware they arent clean and have insects that will attack you at night, Ill never ever go there again or refer anyone! they need to be shut down and deep cleaned throughly!!!!!! They nasty as hell, should only charge 25 per damn room!!!!

Room Tip: IM sticking with Quality Inn, they charge the same prices and are always clean and I never have any...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple