“Very poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Chicago, Illinois
“Very poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed at the Doubletree Detroit-Dearborn for the second time this year and had a bad experience. The Doubletree brand is fairly tired and Hilton is not doing much to refresh the brand or its properties.
I had a problem during a recent stay: I realized the night before a business meeting that my room lacked an ironing board. I like to iron my clothing which has become wrinkled in my suitcase before a meeting. I called down to the front desk requesting an ironing board. 30 minutes later, no ironing board. I called down again and was told that staff had been given the wrong room number. OK, not a huge problem, although I get the impression that my room number appears on the display at the front desk. My ironing board arrived 10 minutes later.
Unfortunately, I failed to notice that there was also no iron in my room until the next morning. I had 30 minutes to shower and get ready to leave for a business meeting. Again I called the front desk requesting an iron. The desk personnel remembered that I called for an ironing board the previous night and promised to get me an iron. I didn't think it would be necessary for me to add that I needed the iron IMMEDIATELY. 30 minutes passed and I was out of the room wearing the wrinkled shirt to my very important meeting. I went to the front desk and related that this poor service was unacceptable. She offered me Honors points. I have not seen any points added to my account 24 hours later.
Bottom line, I will find another hotel chain for my next trip to Detroit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
DoubletreeDearbornGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Detroit-Dearborn, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Hello,
First and foremost, thank you for your candid feedback. I read your review and would like to apologize for the poor service you received during your stay. Not having an ironing board in your room is below our standard. I am also embarassed by the lack of immediate resolution from my team. Rest assured, I am sharing with the appropriate departments to correct these deficiencies. I would love to discuss this situation further with you. Please E-mail me at charles.mahabir@hilton.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Dearborn, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I came to stay here for a business trip and I must say that the managers really take care of their customers. The manager was very welcoming and ensured that the group was being taken care for during our two week stay. The housekeeping staff was constantly on hand and room service was prompt. And of course- the cookies are delicious!

I would recommend this hotel for both personal and business stays because the staff is sure to make you feel right at home.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hello,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. It's our pleasure to take care of our guests and to make their stay as comfortable as possible. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you in the near future.

Jacksonville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Dan at the front desk was great. The hotel lobby is very relacing, nice and large. I would stay here again when I am in Detroit. The main reason for staying at Doubletree Is that the level of service with be high and this property is an excellent example of Hilton's home feelIng.

• Stayed August 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the DoubleTree by Hilton Detroit-Dearborn. We put a lot of effort and training into delivering exceptional customer service so I am always pleased when I hear the team is taking great care of our guests. I will be sure to pass on your comments to Dan at our Front Desk. We are excited that you would consider staying at our property for any future visits to Detroit. Take care!

Sykesville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night and took advantage of their Henry Ford package deal. We arrived early in the day (9:30 AM) to get our tickets for Henry Ford and our room was ready already! We were offered check in at that time (and hot cookies) and every detail for our stay and our day trip to HF was taken care of by the front desk staff with perfection. This is a very large, very beautiful and very clean hotel. Our room was spotless and well equipped. Extra towels were requested via the "Care Line" and they arrived within minutes.

The pool is very small and was quite crowded but the area was clean. the surrounding area is very confusing to navigate if you are from out of town and overall, the area is pretty ugly. But, we were only a few minutes from Henry Ford and about 20 minutes from the airport. Security seemed excellent in and around the immediate area of the hotel.The rooms were quiet with no noticeable outside noise, but we were on the 6th floor.

The beds were very comfortable, the towels thick and large and overall our stay was awesome. highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hello,

I just wanted to say thank you for your review. I hope you had a great time at The Henry Ford Museum. It's one of my favorites in the Dearborn-Detroit area. I appreciate the wonderful comments/feedback and will be sure to share with the entire team.

Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I'm a Hilton Honors member and I stayed here the night before my early flight out of DTW. As I had arrived late, I just wanted to sleep before my early morning flight. The hotel had a very comfortable bed in deed. The hotel staff arranged a towncar service for me (which the price was misquoted) so I had transportation to the airport. The female agent upon my arrival quoted a $15 charge for the car service and it ended up being $40 when I arrived at the airport. I wasn't too happy about that. Next time I'll stay closer to the airport.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Front desk experience was one of the best I've had in a long time. Very professional and friendly. Accommodated all of my requests. When they learned that my flight had been cancelled due to weather they even offered a free breakfast even though it had nothing to do with them. Very nice touch. Hotel room was good.

• Stayed July 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

The staff here are what makes the hotel outstanding ... from the moment we checked in, they went out of their way to make us feel welcome and at home - the front desk manager even coming around the desk to hand us the key cards to our room ... together with the oft-mentioned cookies. The bar staff were similarly friendly and treated us to a tin of cookies when we left. The breakfast buffet changed every day and was excellent value. As sightseers, the hotel was in a perfect location, only a few miles from the Henry Ford and the Motown History Museum ... definitely a great choice to have made.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Detroit-Dearborn? Share your experiences!