“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Kalamazoo, MI
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Classy hotel within walking distance to everything. Great staff, shuttle driver was very helpful. I have back problems and the tub/shower was difficult to get into, one in it was a good shower. I was in room 923, the sitting area remained HOT even with the air set to 60, the lower sleeping level was cooler but no where near 60.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

Nice hotel, clean. But they have no security anyone can rent a room and have 100 people show up for a party. I'm serious, no one stops you. VERY loud. Door's slamming all hours of the night. We had to put a chair next to our door so it wouldn't rattle when other doors around us got slammed. Then the kicker, I opened the mini bar to put or carry out in the fridge and during the process a bottled water and small rum fell out. I put them both back immediately, unopened. In the morning, after a terrible night sleep I found the mini bar locked? They lock automatically, when I called the front desk they also informed me I was being charged for the water and rum, be cause the mini bar has sensors that can tell when anything is removed. I explained what happen and was told," I guess I have to send security up to check". They have security for the mini bar, but the hotel can be a complete circus. I would stay somewhere else. The employes are also very rude.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
northern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

I stayed here one night while in town to see a Tigers baseball game. The room was a very large two room suite with nice flat screen tvs in each room. The bathtub was really big, though some might have trouble getting in and out of it as it is quite high. It was an easy walk to the ballpark, and we had a great night's sleep. The only minor complaint was the continental breakfast. The muffins and croissants were dry and inedible. Other than that, an outstanding hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Port Huron, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

We came into town for the Tiger Game and stayed the night at the Atheneum. The room was beautiful. We had a two room suite with large bathroom. Perfect for our family of 5. Location is fantastic - walking distance to Comerica Park, Ford Field and right at the heart of Greektown. My husband and I had recently stayed at MGM Grand in Detroit and Trump Hotel in Chicago and while those rooms were luxurious, The Atheneum is in the same class. While it might not have all the same ameneties as MGM, the rooms are just as nice. And, at a fraction of the cost!!! Anyone looking for a first class suite in Detroit should consider The Atheneum - you will not be disappointed. Also - the service was great. When we drove up to check-in, the staff at the door were fantastic, even giving my kids balloons for the Tiger Game. This is a GEM of a hotel in the Motor City. We highly recommend it!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

We felt we were in a very good hotel from the moment we arrived. The location for Greektown and people mover access is outstanding. A Very courteous and friendly staff greeted us along the way. The hotel felt clean. Having Fishbones as it's restaurant is fabulous. The room had an impressive entryway which had us take a few steps down into the suite itself. There was a large pillar in the room, a good size television and king sized bed. The bathroom had a very nice & deep tub for bathing, along with a contemporary glass block design on the tub wall separating it from the rest of the room. We have both stayed at various hotels for travel & leisure. Admittedly this was not the most comfortable bed and foam pillows. Not a bad bed, but definitely have experienced better. We had only one large problem and that was noise. A Saturday night in the city had people slamming doors and whooping it up in the hallways after midnight until 4am. Naturally there were city sounds from down below of police cars & megaphones clearing people out around 1:30am-2:30am. We struggled to get any sleep, which is such a shame as we Really were Very pleased with all other aspects of the hotel. It could have just been the luck of our draw and the guests that happened to be there that evening. I would recommend this hotel, but definitely make people aware of its location & high possibility for little sleep.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Leamington Spa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

I enjoyed my stay in the Atheneum Suites. The service I experienced on the whole was very good.

On arrival, I was helped with my bags and shown my suite, it certainly had wow factor, with two levels (a living area and a bed area). The hotel is very charming, with some lovely traditional features.

Valet parking was offered just by driving up to the reception. I wanted to catch an ice hockey game at the Detroit Red Wings stadium, the Joe Louis Arena, and it was made very easy for me to pick up my tickets from the stadium, then arrange transport to and from the stadium. My first hockey game was a fantastic experience and the Atheneuem made it very easy.

Reception staff were always helpful, the only slight negative was the room service telephone service, which supplied me with two cold drinks, but no bottle opener to open them with! The bottle opener took an hour to arrive, by which time the beer was warm! In fairness, they did give me a cold beer and a bottle of water by way of apology, which I appreciated and was accepted.

This experience was untypical of my overall experience though, and I would happily recommend this hotel to visitors to Detroit.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Portage, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

We spent 2 nights here in a Premium Suite. It was the highlight of our weekend in Detroit. The staff (Brenda and Curtis to name a few) were out of this world. They really made us feel like we were special guests of their hotel. The room service from Fishbone was exceptionally fast and hot. The bed was very comfortable and the hot tub was amazing! I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will absolutely go back again. Some of the best customer service I have had in a long time!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Atheneum? Share your experiences!