“NOT HAPPY AT THE WESTIN” 3 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersGold level
muskegon, mi
“NOT HAPPY AT THE WESTIN”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2006

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was looking for a hotel that offered park n fly. This is not the one. If you are staying for a few hours and not eating or sleeping, maybe the pillow top beds and pillows will make it great, but for me thats is so stupid. The only place to eat offers $15 hamburgs. Once they took your car, thats it you can get it back for a price. Because they have to repark it. I did not like this place. Waste of money. I wish I would of check it out more..

• Stayed November 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2006

Detroit Metro is our home airport, a major Northwest hub, and if we are flying out early in the morning the Westin at the airport is the best possible option. There are many "park and fly" options in the vicinity of the airport and I have utilized many of these hotels, but nothing can beat pulling right up to the hotel the evening before our flight and handing our keys to the attendant. Nothing left to do but check into our room and relax on the cushy bed and maybe later have a drink downstairs in the bar.

But the absolute best part of this hotel is getting up in the morning and walking from your room into the McNamara terminal within a matter of minutes. We don't have the stress of getting up at 3am, driving 1-1/2 hours to the airport in the dark, praying that weather and traffic will cooperate and worrying about getting a shuttle from the parking lot to the terminal. Coming back is equally a breeze. The plane lands and there you are in the same building as your hotel. The attendant brings you your automobile and you are on your way, while the majority of the folks that were on the plane with you are still fighting with the masses trying to score a seat on the shuttle.

• Stayed September 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

I stayed two nights at this hotel in mid-September 2006. Rates were very reasonable. If booking on westin.com remember to check for special offers because for the weekend I was there they had rates from $79-99. I ended up booking on Priceline to save a little and got it for $70/night. The hotel is located in the Northwest terminal of the airport. Decor is chic, Asian-inspired (bamboo "forest" in the lobby), dark, and spare. Cookies at the checkin desk were a nice touch. Front desk staff were young and clearly inexperienced, but polite and friendly. Ordering room service from the "service express" staff was a trial. Wines are not listed on the in-room menu and upon inquiry as to what white wines were available by the glass the reply was, "We have Benziger." I asked what kind of Benziger (chardonnay? sauvignon blanc?) and was placed on hold. The answer turned out to be "$11 per glass." Hmm. I declined and chose a split of sparkling wine from the minibar instead for the bargain price of $10. The caesar salad with shrimp was good and arrived quickly. Bed was very comfy and the granite bathroom was spotless. Room 508 overlooked the roof of the terminal so view was nothing to write home about, but the room was very quiet. Ordering room service breakfast the next morning was another experience. An inquiry as to what kind of breakfast pastries were available was apparently too challenging, as was the question, "what kind of fresh fruit do you have?" However, the food, when it finally arrived, was fine, and the fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice was excellent. My Dema wrap sandwich that evening was also good. Room service was spendy as it is everywhere (no matter what you order your bill is going to end up being at least $25), but no more so than expected by anyone who travels regularly. Checkout was quick and easy. In short, a very good, convenient hotel with excellent room rates and service that needs improvement.

• Liked — convenient location at airport and inexpensive room price
  • Disliked — "Service Express" staff didn't know anything about room service food or wine offerings
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room on a high floor away from the elevator with an exterior view
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boca Raton, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2006

Actually, my initial impression of this hotel was that it would end up being one of the best hotels - ever. Decor is extremely tasteful and modern, while the staff members definitely know a few things when it comes to professionalism, and putting the customer at ease. Upon being escorted to my room I was told, among other things "we have over 400 soundproof rooms". I can tell you that I didn't sleep a wink. My room was anything but soundproof, located right across from an elevator. All night long, every time the elevator arrived at my floor, a stiking "F" ( I am a musician with so-called "perfect pitch") could be heard loud and clear.

So - there it is - I can not recommend a hotel that claims to be soundproof, when it is anything but. If I don't sleep, the hotels star rating becomes irrelevant. The allure of decor and amenities can quickly fade in such a scenario.

Stayed July 2006
Seattle, Wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2006

Stayed at this Property for one night (July 31) with my wife and two children (3 and 6 months). Stayed here due to an AM departure the next day. This property is amazing. Incredibly convenient for travelers (even us wtih small children) and the service was amazing.

Front of hotel is on the airport drive at the end of the NW terminal (arrivals). Arrived with a rental car and the bellman helped us unload our rig and temporarily keep the car out front (for 30 minutes, no charge) while I checked our family in. Returned the rental car with no issues.

Check in was smooth and effortless. Asked for a room with a view of the planes and recieved one on the 4th floor. The room was fantastic. Two heavinly beds, and a heavinly crib (not porta crib, a real crib). Asked for a high chair and it was delivered immediatly.

Bathroom was excellent as was the room size. I love the heavinly shower and in room amenities. In room coffee maker was bonus that I did not expect..Mini-bar was fully stocked, although we did not purchase anything from it. Did notice that someone had drained a few beers wtihout opening the top and put them back in the fridge...I left them in the back as I found them and notifed the front desk at check out.

We ate the the Restaurant in the lobby. Great service and decent food with an asian flare. This and room service are your only option for food if you are not leaving the property. Can't get to the food in the terminal unless you have a boarding pass.

Used the pool with my three year old and had a blast. Hot tub looked a little beat up and low on water but not an issue. Workout room looked in great shape, but didn't use it.

Only draw back was that we departed from the Smith Terminal and had to take the Terminal to Terminal shuttle in the morning. It comes every 10 mintues or so. The property would have been off the charts if we were flying NW or out of the Mclarren terminal. Check in and security screening can be done right by the front desk.

Overall I would for sure stay here again. Simply for convenience, high class style and comfort this property gets an A+. Great job Westin on this one.

• Liked — Location to Airport and high class style
  • Disliked — Limited food options--$$$$'s
  • Tips/Secrets — try and book with an airline that used the same terminal.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2006

I stayed at the Westin DTW for one night 30 June. Check-in was very fast and I loved the airport exit to the hotel directly off the A concourse. The "heavenly" bed was indeed heavenly, and I slept very well with little airport noise. The hotel decor is asian modern an very clean looking. Pool was nice (but small) and the spa-whilrpool was only warm. Definitely recommend! I was through the dedicated security to the airport in about 2 minutes!

Stayed June 2006
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

I am a Hilton HHONORS Diamond and a Marriott Reward Gold member - I stay in ALOT of hotels all the time. You'd think my favorite hotel would be a boutique hotel or a top-tier hotel (W, Ritz, Four Seasons), but I have to say, this Westin is my favorite hotel. Period.

Why? Rooms are upgraded, clean and the bedsand showers are fantastic (heaven bed? dream bed? I forget what they call it). The lobby is inviting (feng shui?) and the people are helpful. But it is the small things that make a difference for the business traveller. I've stayed here 6 times, and each time has been problem-free and usually leaving me better off than I arrived...
- Originally planning to go home, I had an unexpected meeting the next day. I arrived late at night (1am) with no clean clothes. The front desk person took the shirt off my back and had my shirt cleaned and pressed for 7am the next morning - no charge. (Nicely tip the bellman who brings it to you!)
- I arrived from Asia late with a connection in the morning. The front desk person saw how exhausted I was and upgraded me to a suite on the executive floor (I booked a basic room). They had a hostess bring me a quick breakfast the next morning with a note from the manager hoping my short sleep was revitalizing.
- I woke up and had a meeting from my room that ran late. I called the concierge who checked me into my NWA flight and checked me out of the hotel. He had my ticket ready as I ran out. The direct entrance to the airport was also a big time saver.

All in all, this is a great hotel...

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport? Share your experiences!