“Better Then Expected” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Canada
“Better Then Expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed here one night for an early flight to Cancun second last week of August. The hotel was excellent. Easy to find, valet was ready to assist, check in was fast and our bags were delivered quickly. We had a tarmac view which was very interesting to watch the planes. Had dinner at Dema which we also enjoyed, good food and fair prices. Booked the parking package and on our return called valet and our suv was brought quickly. Airport hotels seem hit or miss but the westin was fantastic, much better than expected.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ted1809
Paul D, Manager at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, September 16, 2013

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

The food at the bar is always great and Kim remembers everyone's name! This hotel is always comfortable and the folks are so helpful. Rooms are great and new waterfall showers are a great addition.

Only comment is the room service guy in the AM was kind of creepy.

Room Tip: They are all quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Paul D, Manager at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Great feedback - thanks so much! Kim in our Dema Lounge is a true treasure and she does remember everybody! I'm certainly curious about your last comment and would be eager to hear more details. If available, could you please reach out to me directly to discuss at paul.dinapoli@westin .com.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

A beautiful property amidst the heart of DTW.

The open air atrium lobby is serene with the large reflecting pool and glass elevators.

The rooms are everything I'd expect from Westin.

The shower had a large rain shower type head, along with handheld sprayer.

Starbucks Coffee in the room, and an ample and healthy breakfast in the club lounge.

I'll be back!

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the A Gates at DTW. Thick double pane windows assured a great view of the T...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we're glad you've decided to return. Please be sure to let us know if we can ever do anything special for you next time.

See you soon!

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

There is only one reason for staying in this hotel: you are flying in or out late or early!
The location is excellent for Delta flights as it is physically IN the terminal from Oct 31st there will be a direct dedicated line to security from the airport (great!).

Hotels rooms are pleasant. I would ask for a runway view as my 3rd floor view of the service area was pretty dull, and I see the runway pics are much nicer. Only criticism is the room smelled slightly of smoke (I am not sure if it was a smoking or non-smoking room, but I typically specify non-smoking).

The atrium is impressive and the food/drink is pretty good if a little steep (to be expected, its and Airport AND a Westin!).

You can slightly hear larger planes take off but its not intrusive. Try to avoid rooms at the end of coridoors as people slam the stairwell doors and that is intrusive.

Room Tip: Do not go at the end of a corridor and ask for runway facing for a view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your comments and I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us. We do have many different room locations and views available and we are always happy to take special requests. We hope to see you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We have stayed here a few times before an early morning flight, most recently in August, 2013. The service is excellent, the rooms are clean and modern. Beds are very comfortable. It's everything a top hotel should be, and often the prices are very reasonable. The restaurant in the lobby was fair, and a bit on the expensive side.

There is a separate TSA security line near the hotel lobby, making it very convenient and quick to get into the airport. However, this also prevented us from accessing the stores and restaurants in the airport the night before our flight, because of the need for a boarding pass.

We will be staying here again in the near future. However, because we are not fans of the restaurant, we will likely eat dinner before we arrive at the airport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 32tza
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our service and property. Our Dema Restaurant is also outstanding and has an amazing seasonal menu, however we completely understand if you're interested in a different choice sometimes in the airport terminal.

We're always here to help and we look forward to your next visit.

Haddonfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed here twice and the second room we had was my favorite. Our room looked over the runway and was interesting to watch. The most amazing part, you didn't hear anything outside. The room was clean and very quiet!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zookeeper5
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I walked away from the check-out desk at the Westing Detroit Metropolitan Airport and was at my boarding gate 10 minutes later. It helped that I had printed my boarding pass the night before, that I had no baggage to check, that I have a TSA Precheck that allows me to go right through Security, and that the gate was right on the other side. However, the biggest element was the fact that the Westin is literally located in Delta's terminal at the airport. If you have reason to be in Detroit just for one night, and Delta is your airline of choice, there really isn't any better option than the Westin.

The Westin's location allows you to walk from the Delta terminal gates directly into the hotel if all you have are carry-ons. And once TSA gets the hotel security checkpoint up and running again (October 2013), you can walk right out of the hotel into the terminal. I haven't been to any terminal/hotel combination like this and this can't be beat. If you have business in Detroit or a ball game in Ann Arbor, I don't know why you would choose to stay anywhere else if only for a night.

About the hotel itself, it's a good looking space dominated by a huge, open atrium. You are immediately impressed. The reception area is at one corner, just on the other side of the entrance from the terminal, which makes it convenient. Once checked in, it was an easy elevator ride to the room. The room itself was very much up to Westin's strong standards--a nice space, a great bed, all the amenities that you would expect, and an clean, modern bath.

The negatives? There really is only one place to eat at the hotel, and while it's okay, we're talking about a fairly limited menu. And the hotel's location does not give you the option of stepping out and walking to your choice of restaurants. Also, I was there on a Saturday and in the early afternoon, I needed to print something out. Were it a Delta boarding pass, there were Delta automated kiosks in the lobby where you could just that. This wasn't a boarding pass--it was something that needed to be printed from my personal emails. The business center was closed, so I was directed to a wall at the back of the lobby area where there was a computer. If you wanted to use it, you would have to swipe a credit card and be charged $7.95 for 15 minutes, and if I remember correctly, if you wanted to print something, you would be charged an additional $1.00 per page--or something like that. Outrageous, don't you think--for what is essentially a business hotel? Still, that being my only option, I tried several times to get it to work, but it didn't. I finally gave up and went back to reception to cite the problem. They were good enough to have me step behind the counter, use one of their computers, bring up my email and print my document--with not charge. Others were being allowed to do the same thing. While I appreciate the courtesy of their actions, I wonder why they have the lobby computer to begin with, and why on a Saturday afternoon, the business center was closed (I assume it was since I wasn't directed there).

Those were the only two things I would address regarding Westin's service. Other than that, I had my usual very good stay at the hotel. I find Westin to be one of the more consistently dependable hotel chains not named Four Seasons or Mandarin or Ritz Carlton. Those will charge a lot more but the Westin does a very good job in giving you a viable, much more reasonably price option.

Room Tip: Given that it was a hotel based in the terminal, I can't imagine any room being better than anot...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
I can't thank you enough for your detailed feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us. We typically receive amazing commentary about our Dema Restaurant and I'm sure you'll enjoy our seasonal menu changes that will be completed very soon.

We hope to see you very soon.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Detroit
The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
Greektown Casino Hotel
Greektown Casino Hotel
#6 of 34 in Detroit
4.0 of 5 stars 830 reviews

Been to The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport? Share your experiences!