“Great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We have stayed here a few times before an early morning flight, most recently in August, 2013. The service is excellent, the rooms are clean and modern. Beds are very comfortable. It's everything a top hotel should be, and often the prices are very reasonable. The restaurant in the lobby was fair, and a bit on the expensive side.

There is a separate TSA security line near the hotel lobby, making it very convenient and quick to get into the airport. However, this also prevented us from accessing the stores and restaurants in the airport the night before our flight, because of the need for a boarding pass.

We will be staying here again in the near future. However, because we are not fans of the restaurant, we will likely eat dinner before we arrive at the airport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Paul D, Manager at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our service and property. Our Dema Restaurant is also outstanding and has an amazing seasonal menu, however we completely understand if you're interested in a different choice sometimes in the airport terminal.

We're always here to help and we look forward to your next visit.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Haddonfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed here twice and the second room we had was my favorite. Our room looked over the runway and was interesting to watch. The most amazing part, you didn't hear anything outside. The room was clean and very quiet!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm thrilled that you've returned and also enjoyed your guestroom view! The view of the tarmac is also my favorite and is quite interesting.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I walked away from the check-out desk at the Westing Detroit Metropolitan Airport and was at my boarding gate 10 minutes later. It helped that I had printed my boarding pass the night before, that I had no baggage to check, that I have a TSA Precheck that allows me to go right through Security, and that the gate was right on the other side. However, the biggest element was the fact that the Westin is literally located in Delta's terminal at the airport. If you have reason to be in Detroit just for one night, and Delta is your airline of choice, there really isn't any better option than the Westin.

The Westin's location allows you to walk from the Delta terminal gates directly into the hotel if all you have are carry-ons. And once TSA gets the hotel security checkpoint up and running again (October 2013), you can walk right out of the hotel into the terminal. I haven't been to any terminal/hotel combination like this and this can't be beat. If you have business in Detroit or a ball game in Ann Arbor, I don't know why you would choose to stay anywhere else if only for a night.

About the hotel itself, it's a good looking space dominated by a huge, open atrium. You are immediately impressed. The reception area is at one corner, just on the other side of the entrance from the terminal, which makes it convenient. Once checked in, it was an easy elevator ride to the room. The room itself was very much up to Westin's strong standards--a nice space, a great bed, all the amenities that you would expect, and an clean, modern bath.

The negatives? There really is only one place to eat at the hotel, and while it's okay, we're talking about a fairly limited menu. And the hotel's location does not give you the option of stepping out and walking to your choice of restaurants. Also, I was there on a Saturday and in the early afternoon, I needed to print something out. Were it a Delta boarding pass, there were Delta automated kiosks in the lobby where you could just that. This wasn't a boarding pass--it was something that needed to be printed from my personal emails. The business center was closed, so I was directed to a wall at the back of the lobby area where there was a computer. If you wanted to use it, you would have to swipe a credit card and be charged $7.95 for 15 minutes, and if I remember correctly, if you wanted to print something, you would be charged an additional $1.00 per page--or something like that. Outrageous, don't you think--for what is essentially a business hotel? Still, that being my only option, I tried several times to get it to work, but it didn't. I finally gave up and went back to reception to cite the problem. They were good enough to have me step behind the counter, use one of their computers, bring up my email and print my document--with not charge. Others were being allowed to do the same thing. While I appreciate the courtesy of their actions, I wonder why they have the lobby computer to begin with, and why on a Saturday afternoon, the business center was closed (I assume it was since I wasn't directed there).

Those were the only two things I would address regarding Westin's service. Other than that, I had my usual very good stay at the hotel. I find Westin to be one of the more consistently dependable hotel chains not named Four Seasons or Mandarin or Ritz Carlton. Those will charge a lot more but the Westin does a very good job in giving you a viable, much more reasonably price option.

Room Tip: Given that it was a hotel based in the terminal, I can't imagine any room being better than anot...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
I can't thank you enough for your detailed feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us. We typically receive amazing commentary about our Dema Restaurant and I'm sure you'll enjoy our seasonal menu changes that will be completed very soon.

We hope to see you very soon.

Kingsville, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Upon walking into the lobby of The Westin Detroit Metro Airport, you will breathe in a fragrance you can't quite label but love. The indoor flowing fountains and Zen gardens immediately calm you. A look around and you'll spot their restaurant/bar (which features the finer wines/whiskies, excellent food (the bartender will remember your name), an elegant glass elevator, a private entrance to the MAC terminals and a gift shop. The rooms are luxurious with surprising quiet and cool views of the runway. Even if you don't have an opportunity to stay there, plan extra time on your next trip for a glass and an appie at the bar!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much and I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. We do our very best to provide a renewing experience for our guests and your feedback was just what we hoped for.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

After being diverted to DTW for weather reasons at ORD we found ourselves spending the night in Detroit. Being that I'm an SPG lover I didn't look for any other hotels and found this one was literally right in the middle of the A gates.

We walked through at midnight and while I was initially was frustrated that the SPG elite line was being used by people who weren't even sure if they had an SPG account, I chilled out and put the blame back on the airline! :) Another hotel associate, Scott, came out and was EXTREMELY helpful and super friendly. He got us checked in and found us all the discounts for which we were eligible (thanks Scott!) and pointed us to our room.

The room was super nice and as an added perk as I am an avgeek (Aviation Geek for those who aren't) had a huge window overlooking the gates and end of the runway. This however did not make the hotel loud, we actually couldn't hear a thing. I always sleep well at Westin hotels and this was no exception, room was very clean, the bathroom was even cleaner, nice large closet and a chaise which overlooked the aforementioned gate area.

The one area I couldn't seem to avoid was the fragrance in the room. I have severe allergies and strong scents make it hard for me to breathe. The fragrance was so strong in the room that I found myself struggling to breathe throughout the night which of course lead to me not sleeping. I would say it wasn't a stinky smell but smelled as if one of those fragrance vases had broken and the aroma was just overwhelming.

I did not have a chance to use the gym as we woke up at 5:30 to catch the first flight out and it is worth noting that the hotel has it's own private security screening area however it does not open until 7:30 (I did see on twitter that they are closing it for renovations mid 9/13 so check before you go to sleep) but getting to the regular security screen is just a short walk from the second floor.

As an avgeek/SPG fan I'll definitely come back, this time I'll just ask for a room w/out fragrance! :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We're so pleased that we could be there for you during an unexpected stay. We certainly appreciate your feedback and absolutely agree - Scott is an amazing leader and we're very proud of him!

Toledo, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I love this place! I have reviewed it in the past and am never disappointed. So clean and the beds are so comfy!! I don't know what the amazing smell is when you walk in but it delights my senses.

My main purpose in this review is to point out how delightful Kim at the bar in Dema is. She is always smiling and remembers us when we pop down whether for dinner or a nightcap. Some bartenders at hotel airports lack any personality or enthusiasm because they dealing with a captive audience but she is refreshing and pleasant.

Westin is always the place for us to stay the night before and after travelling from Metro. You cannot beat their park and fly package.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for being such a loyal guest and yes, the aroma that you mentioned is our Westin signature White Tea scent. Also, we certainly agree that Kim in our Dema Bar is amazing and we're very proud of her.

Hope to see you soon,

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Have stayed here 3 times past couple years. The property is beautiful and super super quit - no airplane or hallway noises. The food service and beverage is exceptional and best of all open late - 1:00am and I think 2:00am on weekends.

Not to forget it has its own TSA screening point from hotel right into concourse,

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
I can't thank you enough for your commentary and praise. We're just so proud of our team and we're glad that you've enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Director of Operations

Been to The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport? Share your experiences!