“The Best Airport Hotel-Convenient and Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersGold level
Evansville, Indiana
“The Best Airport Hotel-Convenient and Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We chose the Westin because we were literally flying into Detroit for a thirty hour stop to watch our son play football in southwestern Michigan. We came into Detroit at 2am on Sat and left at 6:20 on Sun. We flew in from the Virgin Islands and we exhausted when we arrived. All we could think of was collapsing into a Westin Heavenly Bed! We awoke on game day completely refreshed even though we only had 6 hours of sleep. Our room was comfortable,quiet and dark, despite the fact that we were yards from a runway!!! The airport around us was crowded with holiday travelers but the hotel was a peaceful oasis in our crazy busy world. Even our waiter Shawn in the restaurant went out of his way to be friendly and accommodating. I would recommend this hotel to all weary travelers.

Room Tip: The hotel is located inside the Delta McNamara Terminal. Travelers can check in for their flights in...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Paul D, Manager at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much and I hope your son won his football game.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed here before our flight out of Metro. Great rooms, restaurant and you can't beat the valet parking. It was so easy to pull up and have someone else park your car and on the return trip just call while you are getting your luggage and your car is waiting for you on return. Staff were courteous. You really don't hear the airport noise and get a great nights sleep before flying out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

We certainly understand that getting a great start to your vacation is very important and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I'll admit, I'd been itching to stay at this place since the new terminal opened in 2002. But I never had a layover long enough to justify it until last weekend. After finally staying here, I have to agree with the other reviews - if you need an airport hotel at DTW, this is your place.

Finding the check-in desk at first was a challenge - entering from the land side put me on the third level, and I had to go downstairs and wind my way past the restaurant. Once I got there, check-in and check out were a snap. Since my flight didn't leave until 3, they agreed to extend my checkout until 1:30pm. My room was well-lit and everything was functional. There were lots of outlets to plug in my gear. The furnishings were typical Westin save for the (really comfortable) chaise lounger in front of the window for those of us who like to watch the airplanes.

This is an airport hotel, so don't expect much for free. There are several bottles of water, wine and a mini-bar in the room. Read the tags very carefully before you open anything, because some items are free and others will cost you. Internet is $12/day (free in the lobby) and there's no free breakfast unless you have club access. Like other reviewers, I found the hotel to be very quiet, with what I would consider a normal level of noise from the hallways and other rooms. The airplane noise was very muted, but still present... especially when the larger jets took off, but still considerably quieter than most airport hotels I've stayed at. There is also a tunnel that runs under the hotel for airport vehicles, and even on the upper floors I could occasionally hear the clattering of those trucks.. presumably coming through the ductwork.

The entire hotel was exceptionally clean and smelled great - probably the cleanest Westin I've stayed at. The furnishings in my room were showing a fair amount of wear, but everything was functional. Unfortunately, the housekeepers left some trash and wet towels in the room from a previous guest. A quick call to the desk fixed the problem, and they comped my breakfast in the restaurant the next morning as an apology. Now THAT'S customer service! In fact, all the staff I interacted with were incredibly friendly and helpful. When I needed an item delivered to my room, they were there within five minutes!

I only tried the restaurant for breakfast, and while good, it was over-the-top expensive, even for an airport hotel. $11+tax for cereal and coffee?? If you're flying Delta, I'd recommend going into the terminal for breakfast. You'll need a Delta boarding pass to get through the checkpoint as the hotel won't give you a pass on the day you check out, and TSA won't accept a non-Delta boarding pass at the hotel's security checkpoint. The hotel's TSA checkpoint was open from 7:45am-7pm and using it was easier than I expected. Even though they say to allow 30 minutes for the process, I was through in less than five. Without a boarding pass, the Detroit Police must screen you first, verify you're a hotel guest, and give you a pass (which you then give to the TSA agent who's standing ten feet away.) If there's not an officer present the front desk will have to call one for you. You'll get the full pat-down unless you have a Delta boarding pass.

The pool, hot tub and workout room were all clean and in good order. The locker rooms were microscopic, but functional If you didn't pack workout clothes, the hotel will "lend" you a set plus shoes for $5.

The hotel does offer a free shuttle to the North Terminal. It runs about every ten minutes, and you can catch it in front of the hotel or in the main shuttle area with all the other hotel/rental car buses.

Overall an excellent stay, and I'd highly recommend it for an overnight at DTW.

Room Tip: If you really want a view of the airplanes, request a room with a "tarmac view" in advance...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Paul D, Manager at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Amazing feedback and that you for taking the time to outline your experience. To summarize...exceptionally clean, great service, convenient experience.....All in all, just what we were hoping you'd say.

Hope to see you again soon.

Montreal, QC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

If you need to stay as close to the airport as possible, this is an excellent hotel. In addition to the spotless modern and comfortable rooms, good lobby restaurant, it has an entrance directly into the terminal, just off the lobby.

I stayed here for a 3-day conference. I am used to doing local things when I travel (eat a dinner; drink a good coffee; see a good museum); and I have gotten used to using public transport to do so. Detroit, in its present (perhaps permanent) economic state has horrid public transport (it would have taken me 90 minutes to get to the nearby Henry Ford museum), and so I was stuck in the hotel. There is simply nothing in walking distance, with the exception of going into the terminal -- which, as an overnight guest, you can do, but requires a full X-ray, a back-scatter IR imaging, AND a full pat-down ("I'm going to use the back of my hand to touch the sensitive areas.") All to EAT A DINNER at (say) a mediocre terminal restaurant, or get an actual Starbucks latte. If you stay here and intend to do anything other than sleep or eat in the hotel restaurant (which had good food, priced as a typical hotel restaurant) then it is absolutely necessary you rent a car (I attempted to do so, the day before arriving when I realized what I was in for -- and I was shocked that the only cars available were for $100/day).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and we're so glad you enjoyed our property. I'm so sorry to hear that you had difficulty reserving a rental vehicle after you arrived, but please know that we'd always be happy to make those arrangements on your behalf. The price that you were quoted from the rental company you selected sounded awfully high and I'm sure we could assist next time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stay in a lot of hotels, and I also like to stay where it's most convenient, like not having to find transport to and from. This hotel (tip) you can access before from the main terminal soil you have hand language you don't even have to go 'out' then back in! Ask where the entrance to the hotel is when you get off the flight, also great for when you have to fly back out! Anyway, back to the hotel; it ticks all the boxes for a quality stay, rooms , reception, service. I didn't eat their as I was only there for one night and went downtown (see my other review) but otherwise excellent.

I didn't use the Spa and didn't have breakfast (they tend to be overpriced so rarely bother).

Enjoy

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I'm so glad we could exceed all of your expectations. We hope to see you again soon.

Kenai, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We were flying internationally and had to overnight in Detroit on our way out of the country. This hotel is perfect for that since you literally walk into from the concourse and it has it's own security to get back in the following morning. Obviously if you are vacationing in Detroit (do people do that?) this is not the hotel for you. But if you are just over nighting before your next transfer, it is perfect.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed our service, location and convenience. Hope to see you soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed overnight in this hotel because of an early flight the next morning. The hotel is nice, about what I would expect from a Westin, nice sized, clean rooms, comfortable bed, heavenly shower, typical benefits of the Westin brand. The rooms were also fairly quiet to be at an airport. We paid an additional $20 to have access to the Club level and that was Not worth it at this Westin, we went to the club for breakfast and was disappointed that all they had were a few slices of fruit, cereal and toast... a little skimpy in comparison to other Westin clubs so if Im ever in the area again I will skip the upgrade. Also I found their customer service to be lacking a little, especially in the restaurant, they seemed short staffed and I wasnt impressed by the meal. What sets the Hotel apart is the Extreme Convenience with relation to the airport, the hotel is not just next to or connected to the airport its IN the airport and their private security screening was Fabulous! This alone would make me want to stay here again if ever in the area. Overall a nice hotel stay.

Room Tip: The higher the level the better
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. We've recently designed a new menu in our DEMA restaurant that I'm sure you'll enjoy and we've also enhanced our offerings in our SPG reception area.

Your comments always mean a lot and we hope to see you again soon.

Director of Operations

Been to The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport? Share your experiences!