“Is that blood or is that ketchup?” 3 of 5 stars

St. Regis
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3071 West Grand Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48202   |
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
London, United Kingdom
“Is that blood or is that ketchup?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My heart was taken by Detroit many a year ago, I've never been able to pinpoint why such a place with a reputation like the 313 would be able to win this British girl over, but it has.

My Sister and I travel America frequently, this year we had a mini road trip from Boston, Erie, Detroit, Baltimore and New York City.

I've visited Detroit, MI a few times and knew that I wanted to stay as close to Woodward Avenue as possible, and close to downtown. St. Regis it was .

Thankfully the hotel is next door to the Police station otherwise the area in which St. Regis is located might have given me the heebee jeebees and I like to think of myself as somewhat of a tough bird. I wouldn't really suggest walking anywhere outside the hotel, if you have a car, stay here. If not, don't.

If you have a car...HA HA. Enjoy the valet parking.

I had a hire vehicle.

I had valet parking.

So you're charged $20 a day for this valet parking. Just to experience this imaginary valet parking was probably worth $20, cheaper than a comedy night, I suppose.
There is no valet parking, I think our cars are parked outside the building in there forecourt just to prove people do stay there. 'LOOK LOOK WE HAVE GUESTS!'

I'm just joking Hotel St. Regis, but paying $40 to park my car in the forecourt outside the building and hand my keys to the door staff isn't what I'd call a valet service. We stayed here for two nights and in those two nights I think our car was moved from the forecourt once, that or stolen for the evening. Thanks for the free fuel.

The hotel staff are lovely though, expect one of the door staff, who kinda looks at you like you've got breakfast left on your face but I guess the jokes on him 'cause his resume probably says 'Valet staff' HAHA forecourt watcher.

The hotel is average, nice and affordable. The rooms are ok, my sister and I played 'Is that blood or is that ketchup' a fair few times though and a window had a crack the size of a child but whatever, I had a nice sleep, I wasn't scared of losing my life and I got free ketchup.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
VictorMartin, General Manager at St. Regis, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. As you noted, we do have a safe environment in the 313 and are happy that you had a nice sleep and weren't scared.

Parking, as in all major metropolitan areas is at a premium. Whenever possible, we do try to keep the guest's vehicles close to the entrance to allow them quick access rather than having to wait for valet to deliver the vehicle. Our entire staff is devoted to providing the best in service and accommodations and our new ownership is investing heavily in improving the property.

We look forward to your next visit and are sure you will note the improvements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

The associates there are very friendly and I think they are trying. However, the hotel is not what I would expect from the St. Regis. The bar area is very minimal dont expect much here, the restaurant is also very minimal. The rooms are just ok, nothing special.

Room Tip: Really cant help with this
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
VictorMartin, General Manager at St. Regis, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and letting us know about your stay. The new ownership and the entire staff is dedicated to making this classic Detroit hotel a truly elegant place to stay while visiting the city. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future to see the progress we are making daily toward that goal.
Orange County, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

If you are used to Motel 6 or the Clarion (Comfort Inn) hotels, this will probably suit you fine. If you are an upscale traveler who stays at Embassy Suites, Courtyard, Doubletree, or anything higher end, this is NOT the place for you. AVOID.

When the Auto Show happens and your hotel has rooms available, there is a reason:
1) Your hotel is on the "wrong" side of town. If you are a woman traveling by yourself, I wouldn't be outside this hotel at night (in fact I drove my client to/from here just for safety). The area around it is very deserted. There's no way you'll get a cab here. No taxis wait here like at major hotels on the other side of town.
2) It's just a lower-class hotel (2-star?). While they seem to have tried by putting in new wallpaper and maybe carpet, there are still low-class things that this hotel does that make it very un-friendly: No artwork at all on the walls in rooms. Yeah, like a jail cell. What? Are we going to trash the place? Old 4:3 tv's. Of course, all the major chains have updated by now. Two plastic-wrapped plastic cups... no glasses. Seriously? You have a restaurant downstairs. Order 1000 glasses and start stocking rooms. No mini-bar and IF they have a fridge available, it'll cost you $10/night.
3) No clock in the room. While I travel with my phone and use that alarm, how cheap is this place to not even have a standard clock in each room?
4) No independent temperature controls. I checked into my room and it was over 80-degrees inside. Woah! So, I turned on the A/C... and it blew hotter air into the room. A call to the front desk confirmed that only heat was available, so I should just turn it off... and what? Open the window? Which I did. And it helped the heat, but also let in bugs because there are no screens on the windows!
This is one of those hotels that I will never return to, nor ever recommend you stay at. If I get booked for the Auto Show late again, I'll either stay out at the airport or another town just to be in a bigger chain place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Victor M, General Manager at St. Regis, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
I'm tryly sorry that you weren't happyy with your stay. Our entire team is working hard to improve the property and I'm sure that you will notice the improvements the next time you come to our area.

We hve new owners and a new management team in place and our goal is to make The Hotel St. Regis a unique Botique property in Detroit. Please contact us directly so that we can tell you about the improvements the next time you come to Detroit.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've now stayed at the St. Regis 4 times for business since September. I can safely say that the customer service from the valet, the front desk and at the bar have all been excellent. The condition of the hotel on the other hand has not been as stellar. While it has been updated, I've found that the rooms have not been cleaned as well as I would expect and something has always been broken, so far it's been the lock to the bathroom, the security latch on the door and the TV remote. Also, twice now the hot water was not working... try taking a freezing cold show in Detroit's winter months, not pleasant! It's a good location if you are looking to hang out in Midtown or New Center, especially because there is almost nowhere else to stay in these areas.

Room Tip: If you need wifi, ask for a room near the elevator on the lower floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Victor M, General Manager at St. Regis, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments. I'm truly sorry that there were issues with jot water during your recent stay with us. Our entire staff is dedicated to providing great customer service and improving the guest experience. We have addressed the issue that caused the problem and look forward to your next stay with us.
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed at the St. Regis and walked through the skywalk to the Fisher Theater to see the Jersey Boys. Checking into the hotel, relaxing in the room and then WALKING to the theater is an entirely new experience. It made seeing the show much more enjoyable. Driving to Greek Town (or wherever) parking, eating, walking back to the car, driving to the Fischer, parking, seeing the show, walking back to the car, driving home is too much running around. Try checking in, walking to the theater, walk back and stay the night.The hotel was ok. Everyone was nice. We didn't get a chance to try the restaurant or bar.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you Dave and Sharon for your comments about the St Regis. We, too, feel that taking the pedestrian overhead walkways to the Fisher is a unique experience for theatre goers. The hotel is now under new management as of 2013 and we hope that each of your successive stays at the St Regis will go up in your satisfaction.
Romeo, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Nice older hotel, completely updated, valet parking, modest cost, and decent resteraunts and bars. Over all a bargain for the Detroit downtown area. It was an older 4 star, and has drifted down to maybe a 3.5 star. So not too bad. Service is great, and the rooms are clean and comfy.

This hotel is a no brainer choice.

Negatives your about 2 miles from downtown area, Take a taxi and still save a hundred bucks over others in the area.

Room Tip: No real tips for the hotel, just pull up and let the valet and the staff handle the rest.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
We're happy to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us on NYE and look forward to serving you again with you come to Detroit.
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed here for a night in February. The rooms are nice and clean and the housekeeping does a good job. The front desk staffers are efficient but came across as a bit cold. Free wireless internet in the rooms is a plus. The breakfast wasn't complementary which was a bit disappointing. The hotel is well past its days of glory, but is a good and reasonably priced place if you want to stay a night or two in Detroit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us. The Hotel St.. Regis is truly a Detroit classic and we are working hard to make it the premier facility in Detroit. Our entire team is dedicated to delivering great customer service and improving the facility. I'm confident that your next trip will be even better.

Been to St. Regis? Share your experiences!