“Not what I would expect” 3 of 5 stars

You added St. Regis to your Saves list
St. Regis
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3071 West Grand Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48202   |
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
“Not what I would expect”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

The associates there are very friendly and I think they are trying. However, the hotel is not what I would expect from the St. Regis. The bar area is very minimal dont expect much here, the restaurant is also very minimal. The rooms are just ok, nothing special.

Room Tip: Really cant help with this
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
VictorMartin, General Manager at St. Regis, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and letting us know about your stay. The new ownership and the entire staff is dedicated to making this classic Detroit hotel a truly elegant place to stay while visiting the city. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future to see the progress we are making daily toward that goal.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Orange County, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

If you are used to Motel 6 or the Clarion (Comfort Inn) hotels, this will probably suit you fine. If you are an upscale traveler who stays at Embassy Suites, Courtyard, Doubletree, or anything higher end, this is NOT the place for you. AVOID.

When the Auto Show happens and your hotel has rooms available, there is a reason:
1) Your hotel is on the "wrong" side of town. If you are a woman traveling by yourself, I wouldn't be outside this hotel at night (in fact I drove my client to/from here just for safety). The area around it is very deserted. There's no way you'll get a cab here. No taxis wait here like at major hotels on the other side of town.
2) It's just a lower-class hotel (2-star?). While they seem to have tried by putting in new wallpaper and maybe carpet, there are still low-class things that this hotel does that make it very un-friendly: No artwork at all on the walls in rooms. Yeah, like a jail cell. What? Are we going to trash the place? Old 4:3 tv's. Of course, all the major chains have updated by now. Two plastic-wrapped plastic cups... no glasses. Seriously? You have a restaurant downstairs. Order 1000 glasses and start stocking rooms. No mini-bar and IF they have a fridge available, it'll cost you $10/night.
3) No clock in the room. While I travel with my phone and use that alarm, how cheap is this place to not even have a standard clock in each room?
4) No independent temperature controls. I checked into my room and it was over 80-degrees inside. Woah! So, I turned on the A/C... and it blew hotter air into the room. A call to the front desk confirmed that only heat was available, so I should just turn it off... and what? Open the window? Which I did. And it helped the heat, but also let in bugs because there are no screens on the windows!
This is one of those hotels that I will never return to, nor ever recommend you stay at. If I get booked for the Auto Show late again, I'll either stay out at the airport or another town just to be in a bigger chain place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Victor M, General Manager at St. Regis, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
I'm tryly sorry that you weren't happyy with your stay. Our entire team is working hard to improve the property and I'm sure that you will notice the improvements the next time you come to our area.

We hve new owners and a new management team in place and our goal is to make The Hotel St. Regis a unique Botique property in Detroit. Please contact us directly so that we can tell you about the improvements the next time you come to Detroit.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've now stayed at the St. Regis 4 times for business since September. I can safely say that the customer service from the valet, the front desk and at the bar have all been excellent. The condition of the hotel on the other hand has not been as stellar. While it has been updated, I've found that the rooms have not been cleaned as well as I would expect and something has always been broken, so far it's been the lock to the bathroom, the security latch on the door and the TV remote. Also, twice now the hot water was not working... try taking a freezing cold show in Detroit's winter months, not pleasant! It's a good location if you are looking to hang out in Midtown or New Center, especially because there is almost nowhere else to stay in these areas.

Room Tip: If you need wifi, ask for a room near the elevator on the lower floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Victor M, General Manager at St. Regis, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments. I'm truly sorry that there were issues with jot water during your recent stay with us. Our entire staff is dedicated to providing great customer service and improving the guest experience. We have addressed the issue that caused the problem and look forward to your next stay with us.
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed at the St. Regis and walked through the skywalk to the Fisher Theater to see the Jersey Boys. Checking into the hotel, relaxing in the room and then WALKING to the theater is an entirely new experience. It made seeing the show much more enjoyable. Driving to Greek Town (or wherever) parking, eating, walking back to the car, driving to the Fischer, parking, seeing the show, walking back to the car, driving home is too much running around. Try checking in, walking to the theater, walk back and stay the night.The hotel was ok. Everyone was nice. We didn't get a chance to try the restaurant or bar.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you Dave and Sharon for your comments about the St Regis. We, too, feel that taking the pedestrian overhead walkways to the Fisher is a unique experience for theatre goers. The hotel is now under new management as of 2013 and we hope that each of your successive stays at the St Regis will go up in your satisfaction.
Romeo, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Nice older hotel, completely updated, valet parking, modest cost, and decent resteraunts and bars. Over all a bargain for the Detroit downtown area. It was an older 4 star, and has drifted down to maybe a 3.5 star. So not too bad. Service is great, and the rooms are clean and comfy.

This hotel is a no brainer choice.

Negatives your about 2 miles from downtown area, Take a taxi and still save a hundred bucks over others in the area.

Room Tip: No real tips for the hotel, just pull up and let the valet and the staff handle the rest.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
We're happy to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us on NYE and look forward to serving you again with you come to Detroit.
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed here for a night in February. The rooms are nice and clean and the housekeeping does a good job. The front desk staffers are efficient but came across as a bit cold. Free wireless internet in the rooms is a plus. The breakfast wasn't complementary which was a bit disappointing. The hotel is well past its days of glory, but is a good and reasonably priced place if you want to stay a night or two in Detroit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us. The Hotel St.. Regis is truly a Detroit classic and we are working hard to make it the premier facility in Detroit. Our entire team is dedicated to delivering great customer service and improving the facility. I'm confident that your next trip will be even better.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I was on a tight budget when I stayed here, and in most respects, it exceeded my expectations. I was surprised that I got to stay in such a beautiful building for such a reasonable price.

Pros:
-The building itself exceeded my expectations. It's old, ornate, and beautiful. On my budget, I expected a dinky little stucco building next to the highway.
-You certainly should not walk around outside the hotel by yourself at night.
-Good coffee in the morning.
-Mostly friendly staff
-Clean, even if it did have a bit of that old hotel musk

Cons:
-Valet parking was the only option; and while convenient, it was expensive and obligated me to tip the valet every time I got my car.
-My room didn't afford much in the way of noise barriers. I could hear everything that took place in the hallway, including the very noisy, very slow elevator.
-The service was definitely discombobulated. I was frequently told contradictory information by different members of the staff. They were in the midst of changing their breakfast hours, but I didn't discover this until I went down to get breakfast and found that it wasn't there! That was actually really frustrating. They offered me a free glass of wine later to make up for it, which was very nice. But the wine came from a bottle that must have been open over a week, and the bartender wasn't "a wine drinker," so she didn't know that wine could turn.

Overall, this hotel was kind of like Detroit: a place that has lost its splendor. But they say Detroit's building it back up, so maybe this hotel will too. All in all, it's worth the price.

• Stayed November 2012
We read all comments and listen to everything you are saying. When you stayed at the hotel, we were going through a transition period and apologize for any discrepancies you may have encountered. The St Regis is now under new management in January 2013 and steadily making improvements to restore this classic beauty to its former glory. We hope you can come back soon and have a great experience.