“It was a very fun night!” 4 of 5 stars

St. Regis
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3071 West Grand Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48202   |
Ranked #15 of 33 hotels in Detroit
Michigan
“It was a very fun night!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed at the St. Regis and walked through the skywalk to the Fisher Theater to see the Jersey Boys. Checking into the hotel, relaxing in the room and then WALKING to the theater is an entirely new experience. It made seeing the show much more enjoyable. Driving to Greek Town (or wherever) parking, eating, walking back to the car, driving to the Fischer, parking, seeing the show, walking back to the car, driving home is too much running around. Try checking in, walking to the theater, walk back and stay the night.The hotel was ok. Everyone was nice. We didn't get a chance to try the restaurant or bar.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Victor M, General Manager at St. Regis, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you Dave and Sharon for your comments about the St Regis. We, too, feel that taking the pedestrian overhead walkways to the Fisher is a unique experience for theatre goers. The hotel is now under new management as of 2013 and we hope that each of your successive stays at the St Regis will go up in your satisfaction.

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Romeo, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Nice older hotel, completely updated, valet parking, modest cost, and decent resteraunts and bars. Over all a bargain for the Detroit downtown area. It was an older 4 star, and has drifted down to maybe a 3.5 star. So not too bad. Service is great, and the rooms are clean and comfy.

This hotel is a no brainer choice.

Negatives your about 2 miles from downtown area, Take a taxi and still save a hundred bucks over others in the area.

Room Tip: No real tips for the hotel, just pull up and let the valet and the staff handle the rest.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
We're happy to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us on NYE and look forward to serving you again with you come to Detroit.
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed here for a night in February. The rooms are nice and clean and the housekeeping does a good job. The front desk staffers are efficient but came across as a bit cold. Free wireless internet in the rooms is a plus. The breakfast wasn't complementary which was a bit disappointing. The hotel is well past its days of glory, but is a good and reasonably priced place if you want to stay a night or two in Detroit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Victor M, General Manager at St. Regis, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us. The Hotel St.. Regis is truly a Detroit classic and we are working hard to make it the premier facility in Detroit. Our entire team is dedicated to delivering great customer service and improving the facility. I'm confident that your next trip will be even better.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

I was on a tight budget when I stayed here, and in most respects, it exceeded my expectations. I was surprised that I got to stay in such a beautiful building for such a reasonable price.

Pros:
-The building itself exceeded my expectations. It's old, ornate, and beautiful. On my budget, I expected a dinky little stucco building next to the highway.
-You certainly should not walk around outside the hotel by yourself at night.
-Good coffee in the morning.
-Mostly friendly staff
-Clean, even if it did have a bit of that old hotel musk

Cons:
-Valet parking was the only option; and while convenient, it was expensive and obligated me to tip the valet every time I got my car.
-My room didn't afford much in the way of noise barriers. I could hear everything that took place in the hallway, including the very noisy, very slow elevator.
-The service was definitely discombobulated. I was frequently told contradictory information by different members of the staff. They were in the midst of changing their breakfast hours, but I didn't discover this until I went down to get breakfast and found that it wasn't there! That was actually really frustrating. They offered me a free glass of wine later to make up for it, which was very nice. But the wine came from a bottle that must have been open over a week, and the bartender wasn't "a wine drinker," so she didn't know that wine could turn.

Overall, this hotel was kind of like Detroit: a place that has lost its splendor. But they say Detroit's building it back up, so maybe this hotel will too. All in all, it's worth the price.

• Stayed November 2012
We read all comments and listen to everything you are saying. When you stayed at the hotel, we were going through a transition period and apologize for any discrepancies you may have encountered. The St Regis is now under new management in January 2013 and steadily making improvements to restore this classic beauty to its former glory. We hope you can come back soon and have a great experience.
Pinckney, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

St Regis Hotel Detroit is a classic older building that has been restored and is in very good condition. The staff was friendly. Room was reasonably clean and not overly worn. Our room on the 5th floor was very quiet. As others have said the heater will drive you out. It was below freezing outside and we had to have the window open all night to cool the room down to a bearable temperature, even though the thermostat was turned all the way down. Valet parking is $14 a night and you will want to use it. Forget the breakfast in the morning. Although the coffee was decent the food was just old frozen bagels granola bars and packaged cakes. For the price compared to other Detroit hotels it was a good value. With a little work it could be even better. Be aware that this hotel is in the New Center area, not right downtown. The Fisher Theater is very close and the old GM building is right across the street. Many of the building are connected with Skywalks.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
I was happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us. We are revamping our breakfast offerings and will have our full service restaurant open in the mornings within a few weeks. We look forward to your return and are confident you will enjoy the improvements we are constantly making.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed my first four days when I arrived to Detroit. The Hotel is clean in general. Staff are very friendly and very helpful. It is very close to Amtrak station. The new center of shopping is next to it and very nice place.Walking distance to Wayne State University about 20 min. and 30 minutes to Detroit Medical Center.
Well what they need to do is more maintenance to the rooms since they changed it twice to me till I got good one. The WiFi connection in the second room was not good.
The other thing the breakfast stuff. Many things finished on the first day and they did not bring more. The juice container is too big and the same juice stays in couple of days so it is better to get smaller container..
In general it was good stay, Thank you everybody

Room Tip: Before checking in; check the room facilities and the WiFi connections.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Victor M, General Manager at St. Regis, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
I was happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us and I want to thank you for your comments.

We are currently upgrading our computer system to improve the connectivity for the guest rooms and are working on new offerings in our restaurant that will be online in the near future.

We look forward to your quick return to see our improvements!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

When arriving the 100yr old valet man could not efficently keep up with the amount of guests coming and going. Walking inside the design was of the hotel was nice but thrown off by the around 10 homeless men inside the lobby drinking alchol in plastic cups. I felt scared to be in the lobby by myself. The temperature in our room was cold it was 44 degrees outside. I turned the thermostat up to 90 and still just blew cold air! I woke up numerous times freezing. The door handle on the bathroom door was falling so the door would not shut and would not lock. The shower did not drain. The mini fridge was gross looking with rust lines all over it. The elvator did not light up so you never knew if the door was opening to the right floor. The contenental breakfast was ok except the bagel was stale. The one thing I will say was good was the women at the front desk she had good customer service skills.

• Stayed October 2012
The St Regis is now under new management in 2013 and working hard to make improvements. We are certain you will notice changes and be pleased in future visits. The valet of which you speak is priceless. In busy times, we've given him extra help. I was happy to note that you enjoyed dealing with our Front Desk associates. Our entire staff is dedicated to providing exceptional customer service and we always like to hear when our efforts are appreciated.

Been to St. Regis? Share your experiences!