“Nothing too fancy, but nice enough for a night's stay” 4 of 5 stars

St. Regis
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3071 West Grand Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48202   |
Ranked #15 of 33 hotels in Detroit
usa
“Nothing too fancy, but nice enough for a night's stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed here for a night in February. The rooms are nice and clean and the housekeeping does a good job. The front desk staffers are efficient but came across as a bit cold. Free wireless internet in the rooms is a plus. The breakfast wasn't complementary which was a bit disappointing. The hotel is well past its days of glory, but is a good and reasonably priced place if you want to stay a night or two in Detroit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Victor M, General Manager at St. Regis, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us. The Hotel St.. Regis is truly a Detroit classic and we are working hard to make it the premier facility in Detroit. Our entire team is dedicated to delivering great customer service and improving the facility. I'm confident that your next trip will be even better.

106 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

I was on a tight budget when I stayed here, and in most respects, it exceeded my expectations. I was surprised that I got to stay in such a beautiful building for such a reasonable price.

Pros:
-The building itself exceeded my expectations. It's old, ornate, and beautiful. On my budget, I expected a dinky little stucco building next to the highway.
-You certainly should not walk around outside the hotel by yourself at night.
-Good coffee in the morning.
-Mostly friendly staff
-Clean, even if it did have a bit of that old hotel musk

Cons:
-Valet parking was the only option; and while convenient, it was expensive and obligated me to tip the valet every time I got my car.
-My room didn't afford much in the way of noise barriers. I could hear everything that took place in the hallway, including the very noisy, very slow elevator.
-The service was definitely discombobulated. I was frequently told contradictory information by different members of the staff. They were in the midst of changing their breakfast hours, but I didn't discover this until I went down to get breakfast and found that it wasn't there! That was actually really frustrating. They offered me a free glass of wine later to make up for it, which was very nice. But the wine came from a bottle that must have been open over a week, and the bartender wasn't "a wine drinker," so she didn't know that wine could turn.

Overall, this hotel was kind of like Detroit: a place that has lost its splendor. But they say Detroit's building it back up, so maybe this hotel will too. All in all, it's worth the price.

• Stayed November 2012
Victor M, General Manager at St. Regis, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
We read all comments and listen to everything you are saying. When you stayed at the hotel, we were going through a transition period and apologize for any discrepancies you may have encountered. The St Regis is now under new management in January 2013 and steadily making improvements to restore this classic beauty to its former glory. We hope you can come back soon and have a great experience.
Pinckney, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

St Regis Hotel Detroit is a classic older building that has been restored and is in very good condition. The staff was friendly. Room was reasonably clean and not overly worn. Our room on the 5th floor was very quiet. As others have said the heater will drive you out. It was below freezing outside and we had to have the window open all night to cool the room down to a bearable temperature, even though the thermostat was turned all the way down. Valet parking is $14 a night and you will want to use it. Forget the breakfast in the morning. Although the coffee was decent the food was just old frozen bagels granola bars and packaged cakes. For the price compared to other Detroit hotels it was a good value. With a little work it could be even better. Be aware that this hotel is in the New Center area, not right downtown. The Fisher Theater is very close and the old GM building is right across the street. Many of the building are connected with Skywalks.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
I was happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us. We are revamping our breakfast offerings and will have our full service restaurant open in the mornings within a few weeks. We look forward to your return and are confident you will enjoy the improvements we are constantly making.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed my first four days when I arrived to Detroit. The Hotel is clean in general. Staff are very friendly and very helpful. It is very close to Amtrak station. The new center of shopping is next to it and very nice place.Walking distance to Wayne State University about 20 min. and 30 minutes to Detroit Medical Center.
Well what they need to do is more maintenance to the rooms since they changed it twice to me till I got good one. The WiFi connection in the second room was not good.
The other thing the breakfast stuff. Many things finished on the first day and they did not bring more. The juice container is too big and the same juice stays in couple of days so it is better to get smaller container..
In general it was good stay, Thank you everybody

Room Tip: Before checking in; check the room facilities and the WiFi connections.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Victor M, General Manager at St. Regis, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
I was happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us and I want to thank you for your comments.

We are currently upgrading our computer system to improve the connectivity for the guest rooms and are working on new offerings in our restaurant that will be online in the near future.

We look forward to your quick return to see our improvements!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

When arriving the 100yr old valet man could not efficently keep up with the amount of guests coming and going. Walking inside the design was of the hotel was nice but thrown off by the around 10 homeless men inside the lobby drinking alchol in plastic cups. I felt scared to be in the lobby by myself. The temperature in our room was cold it was 44 degrees outside. I turned the thermostat up to 90 and still just blew cold air! I woke up numerous times freezing. The door handle on the bathroom door was falling so the door would not shut and would not lock. The shower did not drain. The mini fridge was gross looking with rust lines all over it. The elvator did not light up so you never knew if the door was opening to the right floor. The contenental breakfast was ok except the bagel was stale. The one thing I will say was good was the women at the front desk she had good customer service skills.

• Stayed October 2012
The St Regis is now under new management in 2013 and working hard to make improvements. We are certain you will notice changes and be pleased in future visits. The valet of which you speak is priceless. In busy times, we've given him extra help. I was happy to note that you enjoyed dealing with our Front Desk associates. Our entire staff is dedicated to providing exceptional customer service and we always like to hear when our efforts are appreciated.
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Maybe its because I am from the south and I'm used to people wanting to engage in conversation but the only time I experienced a nice front desk worker was when I checked out early in the morning...I think her name was Cheree? The girl that checked me in didn't ask if I had any questions or needed help with anything, no kind of welcome. The next guy that was on the next shift seemed like he was bothered that I was asking any kind of information and I had to actually squeeze information out of him when asking about shopping and he acted like it was unknown for someone to ask for information or maybe he was just in a rush to finish his conversation with the hotel's valet guy.

As far as the rooms go, I have no real complaints because I was only there for one night and only for a few hours. They did say that there is free wifi but I never picked up any in my room. Also the air was so weak and the room was very humid.

My most positive review goes to the staff at the resturant connected to the hotel...really nice people and the guy even helped me bring my food and drink upstairs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
We are so sorry to hear that you experienced anything less than a warm welcome at our hotel. Thanks for taking the time to make comments. The St Regis is under new management as of 2013, and things are already improving! We look forward to serving you in the future and hope you notice the changes!
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

If you're looking for a hotel within walking distance to the Detroit Amtrak, this is the place for you. it's an older facility (1966) hat actually feels older than it is, but the room was very nice. The only downside was that we had no hot water in the morning! Since we were on a schedule to catch our train, I didn't mention it until checkout. The desk person was very apologetic and sent someone up to check it out immediately.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind and gracious comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay (minus the cold shower). The lack of hot water is not a minor detail. It is crucial to a hotel's success. The St Regis is under new management and we are working hard eliminating all the glitches. We know that when you return, you will get the comfort and the service that you expect.

Been to St. Regis? Share your experiences!