“The employee at the front desk had good customer service that was ot.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of St. Regis

Save Saved
You added St. Regis to your Saves list
St. Regis
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3071 West Grand Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48202   |
Ranked #15 of 33 hotels in Detroit
“The employee at the front desk had good customer service that was ot.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

When arriving the 100yr old valet man could not efficently keep up with the amount of guests coming and going. Walking inside the design was of the hotel was nice but thrown off by the around 10 homeless men inside the lobby drinking alchol in plastic cups. I felt scared to be in the lobby by myself. The temperature in our room was cold it was 44 degrees outside. I turned the thermostat up to 90 and still just blew cold air! I woke up numerous times freezing. The door handle on the bathroom door was falling so the door would not shut and would not lock. The shower did not drain. The mini fridge was gross looking with rust lines all over it. The elvator did not light up so you never knew if the door was opening to the right floor. The contenental breakfast was ok except the bagel was stale. The one thing I will say was good was the women at the front desk she had good customer service skills.

• Stayed October 2012
Victor M, General Manager at St. Regis, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
The St Regis is now under new management in 2013 and working hard to make improvements. We are certain you will notice changes and be pleased in future visits. The valet of which you speak is priceless. In busy times, we've given him extra help. I was happy to note that you enjoyed dealing with our Front Desk associates. Our entire staff is dedicated to providing exceptional customer service and we always like to hear when our efforts are appreciated.

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Maybe its because I am from the south and I'm used to people wanting to engage in conversation but the only time I experienced a nice front desk worker was when I checked out early in the morning...I think her name was Cheree? The girl that checked me in didn't ask if I had any questions or needed help with anything, no kind of welcome. The next guy that was on the next shift seemed like he was bothered that I was asking any kind of information and I had to actually squeeze information out of him when asking about shopping and he acted like it was unknown for someone to ask for information or maybe he was just in a rush to finish his conversation with the hotel's valet guy.

As far as the rooms go, I have no real complaints because I was only there for one night and only for a few hours. They did say that there is free wifi but I never picked up any in my room. Also the air was so weak and the room was very humid.

My most positive review goes to the staff at the resturant connected to the hotel...really nice people and the guy even helped me bring my food and drink upstairs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
We are so sorry to hear that you experienced anything less than a warm welcome at our hotel. Thanks for taking the time to make comments. The St Regis is under new management as of 2013, and things are already improving! We look forward to serving you in the future and hope you notice the changes!
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

If you're looking for a hotel within walking distance to the Detroit Amtrak, this is the place for you. it's an older facility (1966) hat actually feels older than it is, but the room was very nice. The only downside was that we had no hot water in the morning! Since we were on a schedule to catch our train, I didn't mention it until checkout. The desk person was very apologetic and sent someone up to check it out immediately.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind and gracious comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay (minus the cold shower). The lack of hot water is not a minor detail. It is crucial to a hotel's success. The St Regis is under new management and we are working hard eliminating all the glitches. We know that when you return, you will get the comfort and the service that you expect.
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I recently stayed at the St. Regis Hotel in Detroit's 'New Center' area over the Labor Day 2012 weekend. I was booked there blind by a Internet booking company as being in downtown Detroit. In fact it is 3 1/2 miles north of what people today think of as downtown Detroit. I did not check that company's definition of downtown as close as I should have.

The St. Regis is a a hotel that has already failed in its first come back attempt earlier in the decade. The period between the end of 2009 and the end of 2011 when the hotel was in receivership it was not well managed and generated a lot of bad reviews on this site and other places on the web. The St. Regis is not that hotel any longer. In fact, all other things being equal, I thought that the hotel's wonderful service, genuine old world charm, and great price more than made up for any deficiencies in amenities. The beds were very comfortable, the room temperature was good, and the cable TV worked fine.

The room was smallish, but still afforded plenty of space for two adults and their luggage. There was a newer water stain in the bathroom ceiling that I suspect caused the locker room smell we experienced all weekend. Other than that smell the bathroom was finely appointed and thoroughly clean.

The breakfast included with the room price was a little underwhelming even for a free hotel breakfast. The breakfast room attendant was pleasant, and she made the best of the limited resources for the guests in her care.

The valet parking at $14 per day was well worth it. It was street level parking like so many Detroit hotels have, but the no penalty pass outs made coming and going about as convenient as it could have been. I really didn't mind multiple tips for these valets as they were almost all seasoned older gentlemen who seemed to respect their clients and their client's property. Unfortunately that is not always the case even in major chains.

The hotel does offer free health club access to a facility in the New Center area, but we did not have an opportunity to explore that amenity. Also the hotel's restaurant was open six days a week for lunch and dinner, but the hours were too limited on Labor Day weekend to be of any value to us. There is a 24 hour White castle literally around the corner and just about every other major restaurant as you head north on Woodward Avenue. In many ways the New Center location is not as isolated as downtown hotels after hours. If you have a car it might be worth the inconvenience of staying so far north of downtown.

While both of my most recent trips to Detroit have centered around downtown if I were to have business around Wayne State or if I was planning a trip to the Motown Museum I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Spot on with your remarks. Yes, it was tough for the hotel during receivership, but things are greatly improving with new management now and a schedule of constant improvements. If our biggest negative is location, then we are shouting "Hurrah" because the New Center Area is a big part of downtown (which is not just the RenCen, Greektown, and the sports arenas). If you are going to the Fisher Theatre, it is just a skywalk away. Thank you for all the lovely things you've written about Hotel St Regis. We hope to see you return soon and see if you notice the changes.
Chesterfield, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed one night at this Hotel. Not Bad. A lot of history. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We did open the window as the air system did not work. VERY large crack in the window which someone could severly cut themselves. I believe the risk manager at this hotel is not paying close attention to details such as this.

It is a distance from downtown. We took a cab to MGM which was $8 and about 10 minutes away. The Fischer Theatre is directly across from the Hotel.

I would not stay at the hotel only because of the distance from them to Downtown.

ST THOMAS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Hotel St. Regis is not the boutique hotel that it boasts itself to be. It is lacking the wow factor, but at $90.00 a night, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. There was no shampoo The tv volume was broken. The high speed wifi crawled like an old lady driving her K car on Sunday. Valet parking, at $14.00 was the only option. The health club opened at 12:00, which was the same time as check out. The breakfast was very disappointing: plain bagels, no toast, preservative rich muffins and no fruit. No bowls, no plates. This was a disappointing experience.

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The location of the hotel is ok, but there really isn't much around it in terms of sights or restaurants. The room was clean enough, but the bed only had a bed spread and a plain sheet. For those to throw off the bed spread and use a blanket and a sheet, this set up was a bit odd. The AC didn't work correctly either. The in-room thermometer read 80+ degrees, while the temperature setting was at 60 degrees. It wasn't horrible, but I really think the AC needs to be worked on. The TV remote didn't work either. I know you're gonna say it was the batteries, but the remote turned the TV on and off, I just couldn't change the channels or the volume. The valet guys were nice, but $14 bucks a day for valet seemed a bit steep.

Overall, the hotel was fine. Nothing great. Just an average hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to St. Regis? Share your experiences!