“Surprisingly good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Los Angeles
“Surprisingly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I booked five nights at the St. Regis before reading some of the negative reviews. Naturally, it made me wonder if I should rethink my plan to stay there.

But you know something? It turned out to be a surprisingly pleasant place -- to the point where it sounds as if the negative reviewers were staying in a completely different hotel.

At check in, I asked the desk clerk (Ray?) to give me a quiet room, away from the elevators. He searched the database and found a great one -- top floor, facing the back, recently renovated, very comfortable, and extremely quiet.

Apart from the occasional sound of a distant door closing in the hallway, I heard no other guests during my entire five night stay. The air conditioning worked fine, even in the midst of a brutal heat wave.

Some of the lobby staff were very warm and friendly, others somewhat cooler, but everyone did their job. I didn't bring a car (I used Detroit's bus system to get around), so I have no thoughts about the valet parking.

As for the complimentary continental breakfast? It was nothing fancy (juices, coffee, cereal, bagels, muffins), but it got me going in the mornings. And the lady who set up the peaceful little breakfast room each day was very nice.

The neighborhood isn't downtown but further north, in an area called New Town. It's a mixed bag of government office buildings, streets with well-tended houses, streets with abandoned houses, a few fast food places, plus empty storefronts, old industrial structures, and vacant lots. Pedestrian traffic is very low, as it is in most of Detroit. By sundown, the area is deserted.

Since I live in a much larger city, none of this was beyond what I've encountered at home. But I'm sure that many life-long suburbanites would feel uneasy (although downtown Detroit can be sketchy as well, especially at night).

My final verdict? I found the St. Regis to be quiet, clean, comfortable, and a very good deal for the room rate I paid. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed here for business and I enjoyed the stay.
Convenient location for my meetings but I wouldn't stay here for visiting Detroit as it is far from everything.There are few dining options around and the neighborhood at night is not inviting.
Room was ok. Complimentary breakfast in the morning is average.
Staff is nice and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I valet parked my car at a rate of $14.00 per day. I went to retrieve my car on the second day of my stay only to find that the back passenger side had been scratched. I was totally blown off by management. The valet who parked my car that afternoon was called and had no recollection. The Manager Mr. Keyes promised to look into the matter. My stay was delayed at my cost as I had to retrieve a police report and Mr. Keyes, the manager, never followed through. I live 600 plus miles away and have been calling only to get the response that he is in a meeting or not in today. The other service attendants and front desk concierge all dismissed my concerns as well. Totally bad service....DO NOT RECOMMEND!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Lapeer
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was one of the most disappointing hotel stays we have ever experienced. The location is absolutely awful, not in "downtown" Detroit at all. There are dangerous neighborhoods between the downtown Detroit area this hotel. We were advised by Detroit Police not to use the bus to get downtown because it is not safe to do so.
We were aware that the only option to park here was the $14 per day valet parking...which I think is outrageous since there is a sign above the valet's head when you hand him your keys that says "NOT RESPONSIBLE" for any type of theft or damage to your vehicle. Huh?? Quite unnerving when you just gave the guy your keys....
Our first impression of the room was ok...minor annoyances like no top for the ice bucket, cracked glass in the window, only one washcloth, 4 decaf coffees and no regular ones and a remote control for the TV which worked for the channels but not the volume. Later we realized that we were not able to control the temperature in the room. The thermostat had been somehow disconnected. Luckily the temperature outside that day was moderate, so it didn't matter too much. We were able to open the window. The comforter on the bed was really messed up...the fiber filling inside was bunched into a few large balls...not very comfortable.
We left our room at 11:00 am the next day. When we left, the housekeeping cart was outside of the room next to ours. I am 100% sure that I placed the "do not disturb" sign on the inside of the door. When we returned at 2:00 pm, our room had not been made up! When I called the front desk, I was told that housekeeping claimed that the "do not disturb" sign was on the door. When I assured her it was not, she seemed to doubt me. Then she told me that the housekeeping staff had gone home for the day. She asked if I wanted her to bring up some towels! I was pretty upset and explained to her that we also needed cups (I had to retrieve one out of the trash to drink some water), soap, and I would like the bed made. She told me she would call me back. I waited a solid hour and she did not call. During this time I noticed some brown flecks on the side of the bed sheet...it was not from us! Yuck! Digusted with the discovery of the mysterious brown marks and tired of waiting for the front desk to call, my husband went down to the desk and asked for another room. They did give us another one. Of course, packing up all of our stuff and moving it was not what we wanted to do.
Luckily we had only booked the room for 2 nights, so we were able to leave the next day!
The valet on staff that morning tried to tell my husband that if he gave him $10 cash, he wouldn't have to pay the $14 per day valet fee. We had tipped the valets in cash every time they retrieved our vehicle. When I mentioned this at check-out, the front desk did not know what the valet was referring to. I think that the guy was hoping he could scam us out of another $10 and we wouldn't notice the $28 valet fee in our bill. I was extremely, extremely happy to be getting out of there! No way does this place rate over 2 stars! Do not stay at this hotel. You have been warned!

Room Tip: This hotel is not located in "downtown" Detroit at all!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

First off, the staff are the nicest and most personable and professional group you would want to meet. Now - the hotel reported it has been renovated - our room ceiling had water damage that was painted over. The curtains in the room didn't close and we faced the front of the hotel. Wonderful view until nighttime - try sleeping when the bright lights of Detroit are coming in your windows. The price was good but I just expected more.

Again, the service and the staff - absolutely wonderful!! Rooms were clean, bed was comfortable -the place just really needs renovating.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel(not by choice) but for a training across the street. My first impression of the room was ok. Big space but no attention to details re: cleanliness. There was a large orange colored stain that looked like food and a black stain on the ceiling. The floor behind the chair and desk looked like it was never vacuumed in months due to the dust bunnies. I wore my flip flops in the shower and the shower head was positioned for 5' persons. Oddly there were face prints and food on the window but the spectacular view of downtown Detroit was wonderful. The bed was ok, mostly clean except the decorative pillow was stained. The continental breakfast was not great (rolls, cereal, and small bagels) but the restaurant was amazing. Downside is there is only valet but my car came back in one piece! I wish this hotel had amenities like a microwave and refrigerator in each room.

• Stayed June 2012
Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

the bed was cozy and the location is good (not too close to downtown but not too far).
The only problem was that the windows in second floor that not heading to the street are noisy because of air condition engines.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to St. Regis? Share your experiences!