“One night stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Southwest Michigan
“One night stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed overnight for a conference at another hotel but did not want to pay that price, so stayed here. Booked a double twin room, which is what I got for the price quoted $84. As other reviews, lobby is nice, elevator is small. This is an old hotel with some character, but don't expect Hilton. The room was adequate for my needs, there was clean sheets, mattresses appeared new, no bugs (I checked). Old furniture and shag carpet. In the corners of the bathroom door frame there was a pile of "dirt", stuff that filters down old building frames, made me wonder about housekeeping. I didn't use shower as I showered before going, so I can't speak of water pressure, but looked clean. Pics included. Coffee maker in room. I parked in Opera House parking overnight and throughout the next day until the end of my conference and paid $5, I walked to the other hotel for conference which was doable and I had no problem with safety, there is also the people mover, with a stop on the other side of the parking garage, I believe $0.25 per ride. Don't know if I'll stay again if the occasion rises.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Paw Paw, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I booked six rooms for a Tigers game as a group of us were going. I told everyone to expect to get nothing more than a place to lay our heads after reading the reviews, but figured we'd chance it due to proxmity to Comerica and price. We're all basic needs guys that wanted to spend our money on the experience rather than a place we'd be sleeping for five hours, and thought it would be ok.
Where do I start, I was told one price on the phone but got to the hotel and was charged almost $20 more per room.
The "lobby" is the size of my living room and the 90 year old security guard was sleeping in a chair.
I have never seen an elevator like the one at the miler, its the shape of a triangle and fit three average sized men uncomfortably.
The rooms were down right nasty, looked like housekeeping just tucked the sheets back in the bed, floors were dirty (stained and crumbs on floor) bath tubs had hair, used soap/shampoo bottles.
To top it all off, one of our rooms had an empty condom wrapper on the TV and an unused condom next to it.
I thought we'd be able to tough it out for the price, but save yourself and go somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Westerville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Now I know what a fleabag is. Sure, the lobby was OK, and I mean not as bad as reviewers may have led me to expect. And there was possibly the only triangular floor in the dinky elevator I've ever seen. After making our way down the dingy, prison like hallway, I was prepared for the worst and was not surprised! The room was AWFUL. If it had been any smaller I'd have had to sleep sideways - I'm not kidding. I don't ever remember a hotel room painted bright yellow. The whole room reminded me of the Honeymooners, if you can remember that show. The curtains (a cheerful brown) were haphazardly hung on the rickety white curtain rods. I expected a train to go rattling by outside my window. The owner(s) are not ones to splurge on anything beyond the very basic. One towel was provided, perhaps to satisfy code requirements? We slept in our clothes, not trusting whether Detroit requires hotels to spray for bugs every couple of years. We will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here on Saturday night after the Kenny Chesney concert and went to the Tigers game the next day. The location is fantastic... we were steps away from both of our events. Yes, it's old...but that made it really neat. It reminded me of hotels in Europe. It was clean, but by no means luxurious. The room was tiny, but it served our purpose as a place to crash for a few hours before getting up and going to the game.
It was $100 the night of a major concert and all the other hotels in town were much more expensive. Most importantly we felt safe. I don't like any elevators, so this one that was 100 years old and shaped like a coffin was especially frightening. My only real complaint is that they do not have their own parking so we were advised by the desk to park at the Opera House Parking Structure which you had to be out of by 6 am. Since we stayed for the game we had to pay for 2 days of parking ($20 per day) even though we were there only a little over 24 hours.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lansing, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

O.K. - first the positives: 1) fantastic location - across the street from the Detroit Opera House, 2 blocks to Comerica Park, 3 blocks to Ford Field, a short walk to the Fox Theater and to Greek Town. 2) Nice lobby, particularly the stained glass window and the original tiled floors. The opposites of positive: well, first let me say we stayed here because many other hotels were booked for the date we needed. Moving along....uh, the hotel needs some work. Our room was at the end of the hall so it was large with a love seat, T.V., dresser & um...what some might consider a bed. We could see it was not in good shape but once we were in it, we could not stop laughing. Fortunately, we sleep next to each other anyway, but even if we didn't, we would not have had a choice. There was a crevice in the bed big enough to fall into & never get back out of; there was a lump which may have been the prior guest. I didn't want to pull back the somewhat thread-bare sheet to look. Laying on one's side wasn't possible as one simply sunk further into what was once a mattress. One pillow was about one inch thick; the other more luxurious at about two inches. The bathroom was small, which is not a big deal, but it was very dirty. It's been a while since the baseboards have seen a broom, a dustrag, or a mop. I politely declined to shower in the somewhat stained bathtub; my husband opted to shower but the water sort of came out in one big stream. He tried to fix it which caused it to spray more outside the shower than in it (didn't help the baseboards any). Some windows opened, others didn't. Some blinds worked, some didn't. Some curtains were hanging up, some weren't. We did not eat breakfast there, but the breakfast room was clean with standard continental fare. The staff were pleasant. The midnight-shift security guard was a big, brawny fellow. The morning security guard - not so much; phhft, a sloth could outrun him. As other reviewers mentioned, the hallways are hot. The A/C in our room was o.k. but keep in mind the air outside at the time was in the 70's. If it had been any warmer, the A/C would not have been able to keep up. The towels & washcloths were clean but very rough; no need to bring a loofah. So....if you need a place to stay & don't mind not sleeping well & not bathing in the morning, sure - stay here. It is convenient. Would I stay here again? Boy, the jury's out on that one! By the way, when we were leaving, a hotel employee was outside washing windows; I managed to not suggest he go up & clean the bathrooms. And speak of bathrooms, there are some off the lobby but they are locked. One more thing - the elevators are teeny-tiny and the one closest to the lobby is actually triangular. Kind of cute actually. If there are more than 3 of you & you have more than a 'carry-on', you'll need multiple trips or you'll need to take the stairs.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here, request a room at the end of the hall. From what I understand, they...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chesaning, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The photos of the rooms on this website surely exaggerate the quality of the rooms. My friend and I checked in very late after the Nicki Minaj concert because we needed a place to crash. It was unbelievably hot in the building, especially in our room. We were on the 4th floor of the hotel. The cable in our room was dysfunctional, the bathroom cieling looked like it was completely deteriorating and the bathroom in general was gross. Behind the toilet was white tape to try and cover up some type of water damage. There was rust debris in the corners of the bathroom and the carpet was ABSOLUTELY FILTHY. It was an indoor/outdoor carpet that was supposed to be tan but had black stains ALL over it. The under side of my bed was falling apart and there were shards of wood underneath the bed from where it had busted. If it weren't for the location of this hotel I wouldn't have payed $20 a night for it. A plus though, (on the outside) the trees are decorated with beautiful bright blue christmas style lights. Safe area to crash, that's about it. Oh, and staff was very helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Winter Park, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I don't even know where to begin with this hotel. My boyfriend and I needed a place to stay for one night in Detroit before we flew back to Orlando the next day. We drove from upper Michigan to Detroit as we flew from the Detroit Metro airport. There was a Tigers game going on at the time and we found a lot of places to be booked. I should have known something was up with this hotel since the location is fantastic, right next to the stadium during a Tigers game, yet this hotel had rooms available and others further away were booked! Hint #1. We are used to staying in older hotels but there is a difference between old and clean and old and filthy and inhumane with no working air. They put us on the highest floor, the 10th floor, in room 1011 I believe it was. It was the room at the very end of the hall so it was more triangular in shape. Upon first walking in I noticed how unbearably hot it was but we were told at check-in that the room had been sitting with the air off so it would take 30 minutes to cool down once we turned on the TINY window unit that looked old and unserviced. I wanted to freshen up after the 5 hour drive but we had to run out of the room due to the fact we were both sweating in the muggy, stale, unbearably hot and humid room. Before we ran out to let the air cool the room down, I noticed the green old carpet with white stains all over and the old and dirty couch with white stains on the arm of the couch. I turned the bed sheets down only to notice what looked to be old blood stains on the back of the bedspread that apparently could not be washed out.. EW! The bathroom was another story. The sink cabinet door was falling down, the toilet looked as if crap stains were left all in it, the shower had scum and stains all over it, the blinds were broken. The bathroom was also a closet and on the shelf was a used pair of black panties left just sitting there. If the room was cleaned how could they have missed a pair of used black panties left sitting there in the bathroom?! The bathroom floor had dirt piled high in the corners. I would not walk anywhere in there without shoes. The blinds were pulled up and I went to lower the blinds to let the room try to cool down (it was every bit of 90+ degrees in there) and the blinds fell down and hit me on the head! We left to go eat dinner, hoping to return to at least a cool room to get us through the night until we flew out the next day. When we returned, 5 hours later, we walked into a room that was now only about 88 degrees or hotter with 100% humidity, muggy, and stifling stale air. I sat near the tiny window unit and had barely cool air hit me. We immediately started sweating profusely. You couldn't even walk in the bathroom because it was even hotter in there. We called the front desk and asked about the air and asked to be moved to another room only to be told that "moving to a new room will not be any better. The window units are old and need to be replaced and they do not really work." and he even said "you have it better than most people as the 10th floor is the cooler floor." My boyfriend ran out to get some bottled water as I was feeling dizzy and sick to my stomach from the stale heat in the room. He brought back a bucket of ice and I ate the whole bucket of ice just to try to cool off. I live in Florida and I have gone through hurricanes with no power and this hotel was just as BAD!!!!!! My boyfriend then called down to see if they had a fan we could use. The front desk guy said he would ask the security guard when he gets back from his rounds if they have a fan. Mind you.. the security guard was SLEEPING in the lobby chair when we walked in from being out that evening!!!!! An hour later still no fan. He still could not tell us if they even had a fan and it was now 3 am. Yes, we layed there sweating and dizzy until about 4 am when we had a plane to be on the next day. I even thought about sleeping outside as it was COOLER there. I finally fell asleep only to wake every so many minutes with my hair matted to my neck, the pillow wet with sweat and everything else soaked! That morning my boyfriend took a shower only to get out and immediately soak a towel with sweat and have sweat pour down him right after a shower. We could not run fast enough out of that hotel!!!! I told the front desk lady at checkout everything only to be told the manager would call us the next day about everything. Well it has now been four days and no manager has called us and I am NOT surprised. The lady that morning also told us we were actually on the hottest floor and the guy overnight should have moved us to another room. I cannot speak for the other rooms but I can say the room we were in was filthy and a sweatbox that was completely inhumane for anyone to have to PAY money to sleep in!!!!!! And not even so much as an I'm sorry from the manager that was supposed to call!! WHAT A DUMP!! Not only that but the next day I was dizzy and sick to my stomach and almost throwing up from the room. To date I am still sick (4 days later) and I think I was breathing in mold from the air conditioner that didn't work and hadn't been serviced in who knows when! My glands are still swollen from this hotel! I will sleep outside before I ever come near this hotel.. ever. It is the worst place we have ever stayed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Milner Hotel? Share your experiences!