“Milner Hotel - ooo boy!” 2 of 5 stars

Milner Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1538 Centre Street, Detroit, MI 48226   |
Ranked #22 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Lansing, Michigan
“Milner Hotel - ooo boy!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

O.K. - first the positives: 1) fantastic location - across the street from the Detroit Opera House, 2 blocks to Comerica Park, 3 blocks to Ford Field, a short walk to the Fox Theater and to Greek Town. 2) Nice lobby, particularly the stained glass window and the original tiled floors. The opposites of positive: well, first let me say we stayed here because many other hotels were booked for the date we needed. Moving along....uh, the hotel needs some work. Our room was at the end of the hall so it was large with a love seat, T.V., dresser & um...what some might consider a bed. We could see it was not in good shape but once we were in it, we could not stop laughing. Fortunately, we sleep next to each other anyway, but even if we didn't, we would not have had a choice. There was a crevice in the bed big enough to fall into & never get back out of; there was a lump which may have been the prior guest. I didn't want to pull back the somewhat thread-bare sheet to look. Laying on one's side wasn't possible as one simply sunk further into what was once a mattress. One pillow was about one inch thick; the other more luxurious at about two inches. The bathroom was small, which is not a big deal, but it was very dirty. It's been a while since the baseboards have seen a broom, a dustrag, or a mop. I politely declined to shower in the somewhat stained bathtub; my husband opted to shower but the water sort of came out in one big stream. He tried to fix it which caused it to spray more outside the shower than in it (didn't help the baseboards any). Some windows opened, others didn't. Some blinds worked, some didn't. Some curtains were hanging up, some weren't. We did not eat breakfast there, but the breakfast room was clean with standard continental fare. The staff were pleasant. The midnight-shift security guard was a big, brawny fellow. The morning security guard - not so much; phhft, a sloth could outrun him. As other reviewers mentioned, the hallways are hot. The A/C in our room was o.k. but keep in mind the air outside at the time was in the 70's. If it had been any warmer, the A/C would not have been able to keep up. The towels & washcloths were clean but very rough; no need to bring a loofah. So....if you need a place to stay & don't mind not sleeping well & not bathing in the morning, sure - stay here. It is convenient. Would I stay here again? Boy, the jury's out on that one! By the way, when we were leaving, a hotel employee was outside washing windows; I managed to not suggest he go up & clean the bathrooms. And speak of bathrooms, there are some off the lobby but they are locked. One more thing - the elevators are teeny-tiny and the one closest to the lobby is actually triangular. Kind of cute actually. If there are more than 3 of you & you have more than a 'carry-on', you'll need multiple trips or you'll need to take the stairs.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here, request a room at the end of the hall. From what I understand, they...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chesaning, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The photos of the rooms on this website surely exaggerate the quality of the rooms. My friend and I checked in very late after the Nicki Minaj concert because we needed a place to crash. It was unbelievably hot in the building, especially in our room. We were on the 4th floor of the hotel. The cable in our room was dysfunctional, the bathroom cieling looked like it was completely deteriorating and the bathroom in general was gross. Behind the toilet was white tape to try and cover up some type of water damage. There was rust debris in the corners of the bathroom and the carpet was ABSOLUTELY FILTHY. It was an indoor/outdoor carpet that was supposed to be tan but had black stains ALL over it. The under side of my bed was falling apart and there were shards of wood underneath the bed from where it had busted. If it weren't for the location of this hotel I wouldn't have payed $20 a night for it. A plus though, (on the outside) the trees are decorated with beautiful bright blue christmas style lights. Safe area to crash, that's about it. Oh, and staff was very helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Winter Park, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I don't even know where to begin with this hotel. My boyfriend and I needed a place to stay for one night in Detroit before we flew back to Orlando the next day. We drove from upper Michigan to Detroit as we flew from the Detroit Metro airport. There was a Tigers game going on at the time and we found a lot of places to be booked. I should have known something was up with this hotel since the location is fantastic, right next to the stadium during a Tigers game, yet this hotel had rooms available and others further away were booked! Hint #1. We are used to staying in older hotels but there is a difference between old and clean and old and filthy and inhumane with no working air. They put us on the highest floor, the 10th floor, in room 1011 I believe it was. It was the room at the very end of the hall so it was more triangular in shape. Upon first walking in I noticed how unbearably hot it was but we were told at check-in that the room had been sitting with the air off so it would take 30 minutes to cool down once we turned on the TINY window unit that looked old and unserviced. I wanted to freshen up after the 5 hour drive but we had to run out of the room due to the fact we were both sweating in the muggy, stale, unbearably hot and humid room. Before we ran out to let the air cool the room down, I noticed the green old carpet with white stains all over and the old and dirty couch with white stains on the arm of the couch. I turned the bed sheets down only to notice what looked to be old blood stains on the back of the bedspread that apparently could not be washed out.. EW! The bathroom was another story. The sink cabinet door was falling down, the toilet looked as if crap stains were left all in it, the shower had scum and stains all over it, the blinds were broken. The bathroom was also a closet and on the shelf was a used pair of black panties left just sitting there. If the room was cleaned how could they have missed a pair of used black panties left sitting there in the bathroom?! The bathroom floor had dirt piled high in the corners. I would not walk anywhere in there without shoes. The blinds were pulled up and I went to lower the blinds to let the room try to cool down (it was every bit of 90+ degrees in there) and the blinds fell down and hit me on the head! We left to go eat dinner, hoping to return to at least a cool room to get us through the night until we flew out the next day. When we returned, 5 hours later, we walked into a room that was now only about 88 degrees or hotter with 100% humidity, muggy, and stifling stale air. I sat near the tiny window unit and had barely cool air hit me. We immediately started sweating profusely. You couldn't even walk in the bathroom because it was even hotter in there. We called the front desk and asked about the air and asked to be moved to another room only to be told that "moving to a new room will not be any better. The window units are old and need to be replaced and they do not really work." and he even said "you have it better than most people as the 10th floor is the cooler floor." My boyfriend ran out to get some bottled water as I was feeling dizzy and sick to my stomach from the stale heat in the room. He brought back a bucket of ice and I ate the whole bucket of ice just to try to cool off. I live in Florida and I have gone through hurricanes with no power and this hotel was just as BAD!!!!!! My boyfriend then called down to see if they had a fan we could use. The front desk guy said he would ask the security guard when he gets back from his rounds if they have a fan. Mind you.. the security guard was SLEEPING in the lobby chair when we walked in from being out that evening!!!!! An hour later still no fan. He still could not tell us if they even had a fan and it was now 3 am. Yes, we layed there sweating and dizzy until about 4 am when we had a plane to be on the next day. I even thought about sleeping outside as it was COOLER there. I finally fell asleep only to wake every so many minutes with my hair matted to my neck, the pillow wet with sweat and everything else soaked! That morning my boyfriend took a shower only to get out and immediately soak a towel with sweat and have sweat pour down him right after a shower. We could not run fast enough out of that hotel!!!! I told the front desk lady at checkout everything only to be told the manager would call us the next day about everything. Well it has now been four days and no manager has called us and I am NOT surprised. The lady that morning also told us we were actually on the hottest floor and the guy overnight should have moved us to another room. I cannot speak for the other rooms but I can say the room we were in was filthy and a sweatbox that was completely inhumane for anyone to have to PAY money to sleep in!!!!!! And not even so much as an I'm sorry from the manager that was supposed to call!! WHAT A DUMP!! Not only that but the next day I was dizzy and sick to my stomach and almost throwing up from the room. To date I am still sick (4 days later) and I think I was breathing in mold from the air conditioner that didn't work and hadn't been serviced in who knows when! My glands are still swollen from this hotel! I will sleep outside before I ever come near this hotel.. ever. It is the worst place we have ever stayed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Haven, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Well my husband and I went to the Tigers game last night and needed a place to crash for the night. I had read previous reviews on this hotel so I was prepared for an experience. If you're a high maintenance type person then you really should look elsewhere. But if you're a pretty laid back person willing to stay somewhere cheap for the night and have a good laugh then you probably won't mind this place.
For starters, we walk in to a beautiful lobby that looked like something from the early 1900's. Check in was pretty easy and the girls at the front desk were very helpful and nice. We got our key (Litterally a KEY) to our room and headed up to the 6th floor. I read previous reviews that the elevator is shaped like a coffin. Some people disagreed and said "No, its more of a triangle". Well I'm here to tell you it IS shaped like a coffin! It was quite creeky and squeeky and I even debated taking the stairs. Once we got to our room we walked in to a very old and dusky looking room. I could tell the the cleaning ladies did their best to tidy it up but the place needed a TON of work. There is no wifi..just an ethernet cord to hook up to your lap top. The bathroom door didn't shut and neither did the closet. But since it was just my husband and I it didn't bother me too much. My husband didn't like that the remote to the TV didn't work from the bed. I didn't really care. I loved the fact that the entire room looked like the set of a horror movie =) But maybe I'm just weird like that. Later that night I point blank asked a nice young man at the front desk if the hotel was haunted. He told me he hasn't seen anything but when they renovated the place yearrrrs ago that they had found some bodies. Who knows if that is actually true but it made the stay even more exciting and weird. The next morning we woke up, packed up and and headed down to check out. Within 10 min we were on our way.
Over all I would say that if you don't have very high standards when it comes to cheap hotels and are out for a good thrill then this is a great place! Tiger stadium is just around the corner and everything you need is within walking distance. Overall it got the job done =)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Kalamazoo, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

You couldn't ask for a better location to stay when seeing the Tigers or Lions play. Could use some updating with decor in room. The building is beautiful in the lobby. Its just an old building that could use some modern touches

• Stayed April 2012
Harbor Springs, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Great value and location in downtown Detroit our room was clean, the staff was helpful and the price was about half as much as the other hotels in the area. Yes the hotel is old but with great character and 1917th century charm we felt as if we were back in time for a day. I also could not believe how quiet the area was we slept with our window open and outside was nothing but peaceful. My only negative is the beds are a little uncomfortable and noisy other than that a pleasant experience and I would definitely recommend to friends and family! Jessica Scharfenberg-Owner Relations Agent-Holiday Vacation Rentals-Harbor Springs, MI

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Traverse City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is one of those old downtown hotels in a perfect location that could use some updating.

Our room was what they called a junior suite. It was essentially two rooms with one of them turned into a kitchen. It had a full size refrigerator and range and a small table. There were no cooking pans or utensils, so it wasn't set up for cooking.

The room was hot with a noisy heating system that you couldn't control. Opening the window was the only option.

They had wired internet, which didn't work, but the desk clerk explained that she wasn't having a problem. Apparently, that was all that mattered.

These weren't major problems, just inconveniences, and the room was clean and sufficient.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Milner Hotel? Share your experiences!