“Great Hotel, but change the air conditioning controls!” 3 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ohio
“Great Hotel, but change the air conditioning controls!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

To echo the concerns of the previous reviewer about the air conditioning….I recently checked in to the hotel to find my 19th floor room was at 81.5 degrees.

I tried working the air conditioner and the goofy thing was set at 72, then I went down to 60, and still the fan sat silent. I had it. Packed my bags and went down to the front desk. I explained the situation and they kindly put me in a different room. The front desk agent advised the air conditioner does not kick in until he checks me in. So, in essence I have to spend hours in an extremely hot room until it cools down.

Whether this is a green initiative, or a cheap initiative masked as green, it’s wrong. Unless they take corrective action, I’m packing my bags and going elsewhere. No guest should have to sweat it in their room.

After I calmed down over the air-conditioning fiasco, I noticed that the deadbolt on my next guest room was busted. It was very late and I wasn’t about to call to have it fixed. So in the morning I phoned “Service Express,” for my valet parking pickup and at the same time advised that I’d like maintenance to come back and fix/replace the deadbolt.

I returned later that night after midnight to find that the deadbolt had not been repaired, and no note or other correspondence to indicate why it couldn’t have been fixed.

It’s a shame they dump hundreds of millions into this place, and it falls victim to the same Detroit ethos that ruined the first incarnation of this fabulous building. After a few stays here since it's re-opening as a Westin I'm finding that the physical renovation was fantastic, but the quality of service received from the staff needs serious improvement. Especially if they have any desire to continue as a fantastic hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

Everything from the staff to the towels was perfect at this hotel. I would recomend this hotel th anybody.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

This is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. It is centally located in downtown Detroit, just a minute's walk from the main bus station, and a short 5 minute walk from the riverside where you can take a stroll and see across to Canada. The rooms are really spacious here, spotlessly clean and quiet. There is a large flat screen TV in the room and the kingsize bed was ever so comfortable. The bathroom was large and spacious.

You can elect not to have room service in exchange for a USD 5 voucher per day to be used in the hotel's restaurants and bars. This is because the hotel is particularly environmentally-friendly, and there are signs up asking you to reuse your towels as opposed to throwing them on the floor and having them replaced every day, which wastes tons of water. It's good that the Starwood chain has gone so far in making customers aware of the environment.

Staff at reception were friendly and helpful and printed out maps of Detroit and advised on bus routes to different venues in the evening, all without a hint of me bothering them. Everything was done with a smile on their faces too.

There is a swimming pool here which I didn't have time to use and also a beauty salon.

I got a reduced rate as part of a conference, but I found it very good value. It's rare for me to award a hotel the top score in every category, but this one does it. If only all hotels could be like this one.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

Westin deserves praise for a beautiful renovation of an old downtown hotel in a struggling city. The second floor bar-lounge is especially lovely. It also is maintaining the operation: there are several dining choices; the top restaurant, Roast, is truly excellent and a good value; the staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel's location -- close to another hotel, some cafes, the People Mover, the river front, and highway access -- seems good. Hopefully there will eventually be more stores and venues within a stone's throw. That said, I found the suite we were upgraded to (thanks to Starwood status, without charge) noteworthy only for its generous size and panoramic views (both the good and the bad of downtown). Room amenities (eg furnishings, TV channels, towels) were sparse and some (eg drinking glasses and coffee cups) were hard to come by even when requested. For guests without Starwood status who would have to pay for the suite, I'm not sure about the value. I also suggest that Westin train its staff in providing adequate cups and glasses.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Westin_Book_Cadillac, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you liked the results of our renovation and that our team left you with a positive impression. We take great pride in playing a key role in the resurgence of downtown Detroit. I am sorry that you encountered challenges in obtaining certain room amenities and wanted you to know that your comments have been passed along to the appropriated department leaders. Thank you again.

Be Well,
David W - Guest Outreach
Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

This was my third stay to see the white sox play the tigers in the last two summers. I love this place! The service is great and the rooms are huge. The bellman even knows my first name. What a difference a year makes. Last summer my 7year old asked why does this city looked closed? This summer there were people everywhere. They were filming a movie a block away and I even got to talk to Richard Gere! Cool! I always have fun in Detroit and I think the Westin is the reason why.

• Stayed August 2010
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Stayed at this overpriced Westin over three 82+ degree nights.

Every night they DELIBERATELY turn off the air (a/c and fan power) as an energy-saving "green" contribution. It then popped on at the exact same time as I was leaving every morning, so no, it was not "malfunctioning." Windows, of course, were welded shut.

If there is ONE THING people need from a hotel its REST! Not fancy-looking soap bars, pre-worn robes, or furniture designed by trendy lemmings. AIR is essential to REST!

Also, don't expect any help on where to dine or shop. I've stayed in a Bolivian hut where the desk clerk at least told me where I could buy a cheap desk fan at the street market. At the Westin, there is no concierge, just an architectural concierge desk (which does not answer questions). And, NO AIR!

Also, no REASONABLE business center. Ancient computers, with 5 dollar minimum fee, per minute charges, and 2 dollar (per page) smudged printing fee. Just because we have expense accounts, you shouldn't feel free to steal from us. Shame on you for that!

Guests should pay only half of their bill, as a GREEN CONTRIBUTION, and feel ok to take a few days off work, thus eliminating a commute and causing less pollution on those days. Starwood will gladly pick up the tab, being as energy-conscious as they are.

I contemplated breaking out a window or two to keep from suffocating, since it would be in keeping with the architectural ambiance of the neighborhood.

AIR is not a luxury! What a lame way to save a dollar! What's next: no water after 7?

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide an environment that is relaxing and comfortable for all guests. Our heating and cooling is partially controlled by a central system, however guests do have the option of fully controlling their room environment by requesting that ability. Because of your comments we are reviewing how that message is currently being communicated to guests. Thank you for pointing that out.

We hope the next time your travels bring you to Detroit you will allow us an opportunity to demonstrate the level of service and accommodations that Westin Book Cadillac has become known for."

Be Well,
David W - Guest Outreach
Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
Jackson, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

This was a pleasant surprise! We stay in Detroit for Tiger's games and this was th first time we tried this hotel. The staff was great, facility was great! BEAUTIFUL , spacious rooms. Very comfortable beds. Definitely would recommend to leisure or business travelers.

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit? Share your experiences!