“hotel staff needs to tighten up” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 33 hotels in Detroit
Ontario
“hotel staff needs to tighten up”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Location, room, linen, valet parking, location, Roast restaurant, large wine list , location , all good.
Happy hour @ 24 HR Grille looking at Michigan Ave, or, looking at Washington Blvd from the Roast restaurant is good.
Spent 2 nights and enjoyed the hotel and Detroit.
Close to the ballpark and Ford Field and Joe Louis.
My wife is pushing to return for a weekend to see the DIA , the casinos , Greektown , Eastern Market . Lots of other reasons to visit Detroit.
Dislikes:
1. Free wi fi in one very small corner of the lobby. Porter had to show me the exact small area so I could check my e/mail.... or I could have spent $ to check spam /junk mail from my room. C'mon, are you going to start trying to charge for using the light bulbs , the toilet per flush, etc. Wifi should be free everywhere.
2. June 22 / 13 @ 2:00 pm told concierge the garbage chutes next to the 1st and 2nd floor elevators were overflowing...he thanked me and made a phone call... I returned to that small "free zone" in the corner of the lobby . 1/2 hr later the garbage was still there and a couple of weddings were booked and arriving... not a good impression for all concerned... I told the concierge and returned to my room.
3.Hate being "nickel and dimed" for wifi .
4. One member of the serving Staff @ 24 Grill was so indifferent on Fri @ 5:30 for happy hour. Seemed to think she was doing us a favour .Really hate that. Otherwise , a nice way to spend an hour watching Michigan Ave streetscape. Definitely will next time go to Roast and watch Washington Blvd.

Room Tip: Ask for Michigan Ave or Washington Blvd frontage
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Westin_Book_Cadillac, Guest Services Manager at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments. I am please that despite the trouble you had with your internet connection, you we able to enjoy your stay and the city. We do offer free Wi-Fi in the Motor Bar, Boulevard Room, WBC Coffee and 24grille, however it sounds like we were experiencing issue during your stay. I have shared your comments with our IT manager for him to look into. We sincerely hope you do come back to explore more of the D and look forward to providing you a perfect stay.

Guest Services Manager

625 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

spacious, well appointed rooms. the downtown location is perfect if you're heading to detroit for a baseball or football game. "lafayette coney island" (a local sit-down, fast food institution) is practically across the street. got a great rate off priceline and will definitely be back. skip the retooled & overpriced starbuck's clone ("wbc coffee") in the lobby and walk a few blocks to "the roasting company" for a MUCH BETTER cup of coffee.

rooms feature large lcd tvs, complimentary bottled water & in-room starbuck's coffee. top notch accommodations, VERY nice showers and super comfy beds. staff was extremely friendly & helpful.

i ate elsewhere, but i'm told that the restaurant ("roast") has great local food, along with impressive wine, beer and spirits selections. really a good stay!!!

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

If nothing else, you can count on a "heavenly bed" at a Westin, which is critical for a one-night business stay. I think they send the hand-me-down bedding to this location.....pillows are small, worn, crappy. Bedding isn't the usual Westin quality, or maybe they just ran out of clean linen that day. In general, the decor is dated. Bathroom is totally average. Unimpressive staff....I arrived on a Sunday night so maybe it was the D-listers.......poor greeting at entrance (as in door/valet staff stood around gabbing and watched me dealing with bags and doors to get in - didn't lift a finger - this attitude was repeated the following morning - on a weekday, rain, a group of 8 in uniform stood there talking about the ball game the night before), front desk staff was disinterested, at best. It may be one of the better pit-stops in town but they aren't doing the brand proud.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Westin_Book_Cadillac, Guest Services Manager at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your stay. I apologize you didn't have the stay you anticipated and we strive for. I am disappointed to hear your felt your bedding to be substandard. We take pride in providing guest a perfect Heavenly Bed experience. I am most disappointed that you felt our staff were disinterested and not helpful. I would be happy to talk with you personally to address your concerns. You can contact me at westin.bookcadillac@westin.com. I also hope that we will have another opportunity to have you as a guest and demonstrate the high level of service and hospitality we have become know for.

Guest Services Manager
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at the Westin for a total of 4 days to visit with my daughter and I can't scream it loud enough how helpful and courteous the staff is. From the front desk agent(s) who assisted a weary father getting his daughter to her daily nap just in time to quell a tantrum, to housekeeping, room service and especially the bellmen for their outstanding courtesy throughout my stay. I am an employee of a similar hotel chain so I know service and brand standards when I see it. Pitch perfect. Thank you all so very much for helping keep this occasion special and memorable for my family and I. God Bless.

Families can take advantage of the indoor pool, and the convenient dinning area Boulevard Room (though a bit pricey) is delicious. 24 Grille is in the hotel but not affiliated. The staff is very friendly and prices are reasonable. There's an organic garden in the Cadillac's back yard during the Spring and Summer months where volunteers are ready to help visitors when they are not tending to the lavender, lettuce, strawberries, blackberries, green onions, etc. The Science Center (Kid town for toddler's) is but a hope and a skip and the Detroit Institute of Arts is across the street from the Science Center.

P.S. - The view of the river is amazing.

Room Tip: I always request hypoallergenic rooms because of allergies. Never went to the spa.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Westin_Book_Cadillac, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for your review and your kind comments. It is a pleasure to read that our team created such a positive experience with their service. It is what we work to achieve everyday with every guest. Thank you again and we hope to have you back soon.

Guest Relations Manager
Westlake, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My wife and I were in town for business and the other hotel downtown that we usually stay at was filled. We decided to try the Westin and we're glad we did. Everything from the greeting by the valet staff to check-in was professional and very courteous...something lacking in far too many big-city hotels. The building was in fantastic shape...nearly everything looked new and our room was gigantic with ALL the amenities one would expect. The unexpected added bonus was the Michael Symon restaurant "Roast" located in the hotel at street-level. We enjoyed some wine and delicious appetizers there followed by a wonderful room-service hotel breakfast the following morning. After this visit, we'll be booking at the "Book" from now on when we're in Motown!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments. Our team is trilled to learn that we will no be your hotel of choice while in Detroit. We are glad you were able to enjoy Roast, who were are proud to say just won 9 "Best Of Detroit" awards including best wine selection and happy hour. Thank you again and we look forward to your return.

Guest Relations Manger
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have stayed at a number of hotels in the Detroit area and the Westin Book Cadillac is by far the best one. The staff are very helpful and approachable and the rooms are fitting of the Westin moniker (stylishly designed, elegant, spacious). I've also found that it is priced much better than lesser hotels in the downtown area.

TIP: If Internet connectivity is important to you, you would be best served to bring a LAN cable and plug into the LAN port on phone as it significantly faster and more reliable than the wifi.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review, it is a pleasure to learn you enjoyed your stay so much. We hope to have you back again soon.

Guest Relations Manager
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Rooms are supposed to be ready by 3pm but 3 hours later massive amounts if people waiting for their rooms. No one here seems to actually care that many of us have events. Seems like poor leadership and customer service

• Stayed June 2013
Westin_Book_Cadillac, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
My apologies for the check in frustration you experienced and the negative encounters you had with our team. We strive for superior customer service experiences for all guests. Should you be open to discussing your stay in more detail, I would welcome the feedback. I can be reached at westin.bookcadillac@westin.com

Guest Relations Manger

Been to The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit? Share your experiences!