“An overnight tainted by our neighbor's screams” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2901 Grand River Ave, Detroit, MI 48201   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Toronto, Canada
“An overnight tainted by our neighbor's screams”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed one overnight in this island of wealth surrounded by misery and derelict neighborhood in Detroit. The casino and the building are impressive and the contrast with the surroundings really hits the visitor.
A very professional and courteous welcome at the reception, we were given a great room on the 10th floor.
After spending some time at the Casino, the night got unfortunately very short due to a couple in the neighbor suite shouting and screaming for a long moment. I had to call the reception to complain about the noise.
In the morning we got an apology letter from the management for the noise in our neighbor suite. This letter was appreciated but our night was ruined anyway.
It is a big shame that some people don't have any sense of respect towards other guests. They feel home and think they can do anything they want. This kind of behavior unfortunately ruins other guests' experience and these guests tend not coming back to such great hotel because of this bad experience.

Room Tip: Room 1021 on the 10th floor has a view on the Casino's parking lot and over the back area of Det...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I'm from Detroit & travel to visit my family about 2-3 times/year. Each time I'll stay a couple of days @ MCC. The first time (about 1.5 years ago) I thought it was a beautiful hotel & I had very minor complaints (having to pay to use the spa sauna & whirlpool, the refrigerator/snack tray in the room is electronically monitored so just opening the door or sliding the tray out to have a look will generate a charge to your room & lastly, not enough light - inside hotel has very dim lighting)

My recent stay 7/6-7/8/13 was much worse. The carpet in the hotel lobby check-in seating area was filthy. My room was on the 10th floor and the carpet was filthier. There were stains on the comforter (red lipstick & red wine), stains on the curtain sheers (red wine), dried residue of something on the closet doors & the granite countertops were dusty. I left a tip for the housekeeper & asked 4 additional bath soap & she did leave more soap but forgot to dump the wastebaskets in the room. The food court area had many un-bussed tables and there was no room to throw items away if you wanted to bus your own table selection.

At $200/night (the special internet only rate) I expect better. I was not very happy & probably will try Greektown or MGM next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
White Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed Saturday, June 29th for one night. I usually have a comp'd room once a month and either turn it into a girls night out or take the hubby. On this stay, we were upgraded to the "Executive Level" which was a pleasant surprise since it was not expected or asked for. The rooms are very well appointed and we absolutely love the comfort of the bed and pillows!!! The bathrooms are luxurious and roomy. Love the in-room coffe/tea service. The front desk staff is always very friendly and helpful and make you feel welcome. We usually eat or meals at the Lodge Diner. The portions are huge and tasty. The only negative I can think of is the lack of a pool on sight but other then that you can't go wrong staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Bend, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went with another couple to see a concert, and stayed at the Motorcity Hotel as a last resort because our regular "go to" places were booked solid. Not knowing exactly what to expect, we were all pleasantly surprised. The king rooms were very well appointed, fresh and clean. The overlarge washrooms and showers were quite a treat. Front counter staff anc conceierge were very helpful in directing us to local restaurants, transportation etc. Although there is really nothing within walking distance, taxi's are right out the front 24 hours. Cab fare to the popular spots in town a mere $6.00. Can't beat that. Restaurants in the casino hotel are very diverse offering everthing from buffet's to fine dining. We sampled one of the mid fare restaurants and both times had excellent meals, dinner and breakfast. The casino itself is very large offering all types of games for the avid gamblers and the small timers like ourselves who enjoy the slots. Machines paid well, and both my husband and I were up on our winnings paying for the trip. Win Win. Would definitly stay there again as a destination getaway for a weekend or when attending a concert on hockey game.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
White Lake, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Every month I head to Motor city for a night off! I enjoy the clean rooms, huge bath, awesome turkey burgers and entertainment in the casino. Great to just spend an evening relaxing alone and taking time to myself. The past coule of times there has nto been a hairdryer in the room but guest services were quick to bring one up. Love the pillow library

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dunedin, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Mrs.Ilitch: Please cut your losses and sell your casino.
We stayed 2 nights. The rooms are very nice but you staff dosen't pay attention to the cleaning details. Debris in chair cousions and stains on bed floor boards. The fridge and snack tray auto charge is a joke and renders the use of the fridge ussless.

On night 1 at 2:11 am there was a loud knock on the neighbors door. You could here a lady say O my God I am freaking out I have been robbed ,black man red hat red shoes on the elevator.

On night 2 after returing from a Tiger game we went for dessert in the Lodge cafe. We waited 20min to be seatted because the tables were un bussed. Not 1 or 2 90% of them. We ordered what was suppose to be warn apple cobbler with ice cream. We got cold canned apples,cold sauce and no ice cream. We brought this to the attention of our waitress. We waited 10min for the ice cream . She said that a manager would speak with us. 20min later no manager.I tracked down the waitress got our bill paid and left. We spoke to the manager at the hotel front desk and he reimbursed us for the cobbler.

Security was doubled the second night. I felt as if i had to keep my head on a swivel ever time we left the room. Every were we went the staff acted as if they didn't care and had a thats not my job attitud. Hotel manager and attendant in hotel store were the exception.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New Port Richey, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Rooms were great and great food at the Buffett but forget about taking a walk or walking to a resteraunt Better off staying in Greek Town. Cigerette smoke was terrible in the casinos. Free fountain drinks but it was serve yourself.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business