“Beautiful room, would stay again” 4 of 5 stars

MotorCity Casino Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2901 Grand River Ave, Detroit, MI 48201   |
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Wisconsin
“Beautiful room, would stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here on business, and unfortunately (or maybe fortunately based on other reviews) did not have time to enjoy the casino or dining options. The room was fantastic, very contemporary, wonderul amenities, clean and classy. My only complaint: my office manager booked the room and sent in prepayment authorization information and also called to confirm they had the prepayment. Upon checkin, they claimed it was not prepaid, and I had to use my personal card for the room. My office manager called and talked to management to clear it up, and they took care of it. Just a hassle and waste of time when arrangements are made and confirmed beforehand, but it was resolved.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

What a nice hotel, the room was beautiful. Great Beds, we felt very safe! The hotel food was great! Plenty to eat! The customer service was good too! The room had a great view of the bridge & Canada. I had problems connecting to the Internet. The IT guy from the hotel brought a cord so I could connect, I hope to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Canada!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Petoskey, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I always head to TripAdvisor before booking and staying at a hotel. I was optimistic yet wondering about some of the reviews I had read. Let me just start with, from the booking process till check out I had a great experience and would definitely stay/play at the Motor City Hotel/Casino again.
I am a hotel supervisor myself and tend to pay extra close attention to many details.
Booking; I used the hotel's direct site to book and took advantage of their packages that where offered through the site. Also this is the point you should point out special needs you have to the hotel and I always restate them at the beginning of check in to make sure my stay is satisfactory.
Arrival;
I will say the signage is a little lacking and general upon arrival. Once we found the hotel/Valet entrance quick service was there and ready to help us. We did not use the bellman service. Check in was easy and standard. Over all surroundings and presentation was up to a 4 diamond resort standard. Security was present and easily available. Making you feel safe in your surroundings. Along with always being present at the entrance to the elevators to up stairs where rooms are located.
Our Room;
Our room was great. Modern high end furnishings. Clean. Many things where even a step above. Such as robes, slippers, mini bar items, in room weights- yoga ball- Cardio Machine. Of all the high end resorts I have staid in the bath room area was breath taking. Even being in a entry level room no details where skipped over.
Room Service;
The only negatives I can point out were that we didn't get a room service menu in our room. I had to call twice to get one. I will say however this was at 3:30 am and they were busy at the time.One item was forgotten when our room service came, that was brought up very quickly. Some thing to expect if you haven't staid at a destination such as this. In room services are expensive- I seen reviewers complain of this and it is just a fact of convinenance.
Casino;
I was disappointed to find out at check in the night club is no longer in operation. I was staying in celebration of my birthday and had chosen this location to be able to go out for a good time and not have to drive. However, the Chromatic Lounge saved the night with it's live entertainment. It was a blast! great atmosphere and decent priced drinks. We hit the gaming floor afterwards and had a good time playing the slots. I did notice people smoking around me but it wasn't over whelming or bothersome as others have stated.
Departure;
I choose to check out from my room avoiding the lines I passed on my way out. Scanned my Valet stub at the kiosk and waited only briefly for our car to be brought around.
A few minor improvements and I would have rated my stay as Excellent. I do plan to attend and stay at Motor City again in the near future.

Room Tip: Use the TV or just leave your keys in the room for check out to avoid the longer lines in the am. Va...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

A couple miles from Detroit's entertainment district sits the MotorCity Casino Hotel. Thank the city planners for its location, it was once the Wonder Bread factory. Here at the land of make-believe, you have the converted factory a.k.a. Vegas-style casino on two levels that offer a myriad of slots, games, bars and live music. Be careful though, the ventilation system is below par due to its inherent architecture.

The hotel on the other hand was built ground up and is a marvel in the city that could use a few more of them. Check in is efficient with the separate valet entrance for hotel guests. Elevators are secured 24/7 with security staff assuring guests only are using the hotel rooms.

Rooms are tastefully done in beiges with all the modern conveniences you want. Starbucks coffee, dual shower head stall shower, wet bar with microwave, comfy robes and slippers. I booked into a junior suite which featured a living room with dining table, single bath, vanity area and separate bedroom. I'm not sure why there was only a single sink.

There is a concierge level but the hours are minimal and inconvenient. Breakfast was open from 7-10AM and on a Sunday morning, it should be open until at least 11AM. Afternoon it is open only from 5-7PM.

The 24/7 workout room is among the best featuring free weights, and plenty of modern machines. Fresh fruit, yoga mats and an open space all very nice.

The Detour Spa is right out of Vegas and they charge a $25 day rate as well (complimentary with a service). Nice amenities, nice lockers, huge spa with rain shower for back massage. Steam and sauna. However, doesn't open until 9AM on Sunday, not sure about other days.

Food is OK although their 4-diamond restaurant on the 16th floor is very special. Other options include a walk-up deli, sit-down coffee shop (service is slow) and food court featuring mostly Little Caesar's (same owner as MotorCity). There is also a coffee bar serving Starbuck's.

Overall, the hotel is very clean, secure, comfortable and quiet. It is a good five minute walk from the casino so if the casino is not your thing, you can relax and enjoy without leaving the property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

When I entered the room it had a modern look, but the beds didn't look crisp. But I figured it was because of the nice down pillows and comforter. The beds are very comphie. But I didn't have a good first night sleep because my pillow smelled of cigarette smoke residue. The type of smell you get on your clothes from being in a smokey room. I think housekeeping figured out the mistake because there was no such smell the next night. I'm pretty sure the sheets were not new upon arrival. I was also surprised that the maid took my empty cans that were neatly arranged on the desk. I've never had that happen before. If I had wanted to donate the cans I would have put them in the trash can. The casino was very nice to my mother who has recently developed walking issues by providing a wheelchair for her use. One other thing, there were only enough towels for two people with three in the room. Lastly, the AC was on all the time blasting out cold air even though the thermostat was set to heat. This could be a great hotel if they improve on their housekeeping and HVAC.

• Stayed October 2012
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We booked this hotel as it was relatively close to Ford Field where we were going to see the Lion's play. The pictures and reviews seemed positive. And they were right. We really enjoyed our stay. All the staff we encountered were friendly,courteous and helpful. All our questions were answered no issues and they even offered extra info (Thank you to the gentleman on the consierge desk the day we left. He provided detailed instructions on how to get back to the highway).
The room was very nice, lots of little extras and comforts. We did not use the mini bar or snacks but there was plenty to choose from. There were several options for eating with a variety of food and pricing.
The casino was very large and busy. We forgot what it was like to be in smoke filled establishment. We didn't stay very long as the smoke bothered us. We found out later there is a smoke free area. We will go back there again and perhaps stay two nights so we can enjoy more of the hotel. Highly recommend this hotel. Also the security is very good.
Note - the stopper in the tub does work, it just needs to be inserted correctly. Took my husband a few minutes but got it figured out. Heaven to sit in that tub. Also the hotel is not in the best of neighbourhoods but we walked home from the game without problem. Cab ride was only $5 to get to Ford Field.

Room Tip: we were on the 12 floor. We didn't have any issues with noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

The room was tastefully decorated and very well laid out with plenty of room including a large bathroom with a tub that water cascaded out of the faucet. We stayed in a deluxe room and it was clean clean clean,and, well stocked . Room service was fast and very very reasonably priced. The food was great and the server was excellent.. We enjoyed a goodnights sleep, It was very quiet we didn't hear hallway noise even though our room was halfway down the hallway. From the first employee we encountered at valet to the last employee at checkout and all staff in between they were TOP NOTCH. It was a great little getaway!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 725. You might prefer a room closer to the elavators and ice machine,for less wal...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to MotorCity Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!