“Great Get Away” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great Get Away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

My husband and I just returned from the MGM in Detroit. We had a wonderful time. We usually go at least 2 times a year. We stayed 2 nights and enjoyed every minute. Our check in was a bit rocky…some mix up on our pricing for the room…The clerk wasn't very friendly and spoke so quiet we had a hard time hearing her. After about 10min , she said she would honor the rate for us.…not sure why there was any question. We booked on the phone, so it wasn't our error…it was theirs. We ate at all the restaurants , and all were above average..except for Breezes. I ordered a simple hot dog…and it was cool when I got it…it was good for a cold hotdog..probably would have tasted great if it was hot.Apparently , all they did was roll is around on the grill to warm the outside..and they were even busy. These were the only 2 issues …and they weren't really that big. All the other restaurants were very good…service and food and the prices were reasonable .
We played the slots in the casino..We prefer the 25cents slots..and I did notice that MGM had put a few more in than the last time we were there. We only seemed to play 3 type of machines (7's) ,,,by the end of our trip.. it was pretty profitable for us. Even though we have casino's where I live..I really enjoy the 3 hour ride to Detroit…It is easy to access since it is right off the highway . The staff is always friendly and helpful. I would love to return soon…I hope I get a comped room..that would help.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower room. Less wait time.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

519 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Cleveland, Ohio, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed 3 days at MGM Detroit. From check-in to check out our stay was a pleasant one. The valet (free with stay at the hotel excluding tips of course), doormen,check-in & out, security and wait staff were absolutely fantastic. We dined at Wolf Gang Puck Steak, Tap and Palette while we were there, all 3 meals were tasty and enjoyable. The casino itself is MASSIVE and easy to get lost in.

Room Tip: Rooms can be slightly warm, but I am always warm, had to make sure the temp was turned down at night...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Clarksville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I had planned a trip to see the Lions play on Thanksgiving with my three teenage sons. We are from upstate NY and stayed the previous night in Canada at a $50 hotel with rock hard beds so I thought I would splurge a little and stay at a nicer place on Thanksgiving. Of course everyone else stayed the previous night so when we arrived a huge line of people were checking out.
First of all there was the parade in Detroit going on so as we could see the hotel we couldn't get to it. I called the hotel and spoke with Crystal who didn't know the city that well and didn't transfer or get on the phone someone that did. She did try and was friendly but I would expect someone at the hotel would know city well enough to overcome the parade obstacle. Thanks to on of Detroit's finest and our iphone we were able to get there. Valet was a little overwhelmed at that point with everyone trying to get to the game. I booked online via expedia for around $250, which isn't bad for four people in a city, on a major holiday. Desk person wanted to charge my card for room even though I paid via paypal. Finally got that figured out and of course, it was too early to check in. However, they did park the car and take our luggage while we left for the game.
It just seemed to me that the staff needed more training or something. When I was dealing with the desk person she took a phone call and ignored me for a few minutes then hung up and didn't say a thing and got back to helping me. That's just rude.
We took a cab to Ford Field which was $10 for a three minute drive. It was a 10-15 minute walk back. When we returned after the game we got our bags from the valet area (I was hoping they would be in our room already) and carried them to our room. It was nice that the casino and hotel are separated well. Large glass doors led to a sitting area with a gas fire pace on a wall about 20ft. long or better. Free coffee, hot chocolate, etc. The coffee was terrible. Although any time I asked for water the staff pulled out tiny plastic bottles in record time.
Elevators were fast and quiet. The room was nice but you expect nice in this price range.
As the rest of the review state, the beds are so comfy. Pillow tops with a down cover.
When I booked online there was a picture and description that showed our room had a separate living room area but ours did not. I didn't really care and wasn't willing to deal with the desk staff about it.
The bathroom had a tv on the mirror and phone next to the toilet. Two frosted glass doors hide the shower and toilet which can make it a little confusing if you are looking for one in a hurry...
No smells, temperature was fine, etc. We called to ask for a razor and some shaving cream and a couple minutes latter we had a nice three blade razor and some shaving cream.
We had another event to see at Ford Field on Friday and asked if we could leave our car at the hotel. No Problem. We didn't get back until pretty late and it wasn't an issue.
Location wise, the hotel is an easy walk to downtown. I did not eat at the hotel but my sons had breakfast and said it was good for about $10 per person. I did get to the casino but it was pretty empty. Casino staff was talkative and friendly. I play table games mostly. There was a poker room upstairs that I liked a lot. If three queens beat a full house I would have spent more time there!
Online I saw a couple of other nice hotels but they were only about $20 cheaper and didn't have a casino. Motor City would have been border line walking distance in the weather we experienced. Four stars is a generous rating from my experience but it is hard to judge on a holiday... in Detroit...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Auburn Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I want to start off saying I would have given it a five, but I do not support casinos. On that note, I stayed here for a charity fundraising event I was volunteering for an organization I am on the committee. The room was fantastic. The bed when I finally was able to get in bed, was so comfortable, I fell asleep immediately. The loved the set up of the room. The bathroom had the shower, toilet and sinks separate. So if my husband wanted to be in one area, I could be in another with privacy for both of us. They had laid out our robes which was provided by the hotel with a little treat on the pillow. The room was very quiet and relaxing.

The grand ballroom where we have our event was beautifully set up and the food was excellent for the guests and the volunteers. Check in and check out were a breeze. Just know that you will have to use a major credit card and not a debit card. If you want to use a debit card to check in, your card will be charged an extra charge immediately and your money will not be release for at least one to two weeks. I had to wait for my husband to bring his card to me so I could check in. I had asked about the debit card when making reservations and this was not told to me until check in. Other than that I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not too far from the elevator. The room I had was a long way from the elevator and i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

My overall experience was great... Clean,friendly,polite,comfortable and not too far from home.. The only think that MGM is lacking is more payouts. But I'm sure its just my luck.Definitely will be doing it again soon. Thanks!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
South Rockwood, Michigan, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The good out weighs the few bad. I play mainly video poker and they do not keep up on there machines. Many have non working buttons and a few with no sound that have been that way for over 2 years. All these issues are simple and low cost so I really don't understand why this is an ongoing issue at this MGM location.

Room Tip: main tv in room had very poor picture quality.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Greeted at the door with free valet parking warm and friendly staff. There is a lovely lounge area with a huge fireplace downstairs and free coffee facilities are provided there, very cosy. The room was really spacious and modern and the bathroom is gorgeous featuring a large shower. The king bed was super comfy. The location is ok, it's not like you are going to wonder around the streets in Detroit anyway and the casino has plenty to offer. We dinner at the Tap bar in the casino, very nice meal and a great price/great service. I would definitely stay here again if in Detroit.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to MGM Grand Detroit? Share your experiences!