“Amazing Hotel/Casino” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Berkley, Michigan, Usa
“Amazing Hotel/Casino”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Amazing service, amazing amenities, would definitely recommend to friends and family. Concierge was extremely helpful. High quality rooms, very comfortable beds, large shower and bathroom. View of Comerica Park Scoreboard from hotel window.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

517 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at MGM Grand to celebrate our anniversary. We made it a DETROIT Tigers / MGM weekend. This was our second time staying at MGM. We had two Tigers games to attend and when we stepped outside to ask for a cab to attend the first game, we were totally amazed that the staff provided a limousine to and from the game with no cost. We had no package which included this services and there was no charge. Of course we were blown away!!! The following day, same, limousine service to and from the game. Needless to say, the drivers were also very please with the tips we provided. The first driver actually returned a portion of his tip saying it was much more than necessary! The whole experience was amazing and I look forward to coming back in the near future!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

From the moment we arrived until the moment we departed, we were treated like VIPs. From our complimentary upgrade to a suite, to all of the treatment received from the MGM team members, the food, the casino and close proximity to Comerica Park, it was a great stay!! Food was great, rooms were nice and clean, great bed and friendly staff!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have traveled all over the world and stayed in some nice hotels. I was a little nervous coming to Detroit and staying in a hotel downtown. The great service starts right when you pull up to the valet parking attendant. The rooms are a little expensive, but I did not get too upset due to great service and the fun I had at the casino. I cannot say enough about the staff. Great job guys and gals!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
DetMGMGrand, Manager at MGM Grand Detroit, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Hello Kyle: Thank you for the review of MGM Grand Detroit! We appreciate you choosing us for your visit to Detroit and the kind feedback. We hope to see you again on your next visit.

Rachel
Shelby Township, Michigan, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We live in Michigan, and wanted to have a night out on the town. We chose to stay at MGM, because we never had before, and have only heard great things. We had an outstanding experience. I would recommend this hotel/casino to everyone I know. The staff was amazing, so friendly and helpful. It's so refreshing to actually see people smile, and seem to enjoy the job their doing. The hotel/casino were very clean, and the decor was beautiful. The valet service was fast, and I loved the fact that you just had to scan your ticket, and the car was brought up. No lines, no hassle. I will definitely be staying, and visiting here again. It's so nice to have something so positive in Detroit. Way to go MGM.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Katie: Thank you for choosing MGM Grand Detroit for your night out on the town. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your night and your stay and hope to see you again soon!

Rachel
Toledo, Ohio, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Location & amenities the best...........repeat customer. Looking forward to our next trip back to MGM Grand. Service top shelf.
Rooms are 5 star all the way. A weekend getaway i always look forward too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Let me begin this post by saying that I have travelled extensively throughout the US and around the world. I stay at five-star hotels, but I have also stayed at my fair share of two- and three-star hotels with great customer service that far surpass this nightmare of a hotel experience in Detroit.

Additionally, I will start with a few positives Shawnee the concierge, James & Daniel the doormen, and Stefan the guy who makes the omelettes in Palette were all fantastic and stood out in my mind as exceptional hotel staff who went above and beyond to be helpful. Casinos employees for the most part were great also, especially Marcus, the blackjack dealer. The gym was nice (when it was open) and I heard lots of people raving about the massages at the spa, though I did not experience them myself.

Now begins my list of grievances:

1) Average wait time to get the phone answered? 20+ minutes. In no customer-oriented industry is this permissible. So incredibly frustrating. This is regardless of whether you are calling from inside or outside of the hotel, trying to make a reservation at a restaurant, trying to talk to the concierge, or trying to talk to someone at the front desk. This morning (right now in fact, prompting me to write this review), I have been on hold for 26 minutes and have yet to talk to a person. When you press "0", the hotel operator answers immediately. You then get transferred to whatever you're trying to call, but the phone just rings and rings. On six separate occasions, I just went downstairs to talk to someone at the front desk, instead of waiting on the phone, because 20 minutes had passed and no one had picked up the phone.

2) Once you finally do get someone on the phone, whether it be manager or front desk staff, you're likely to encounter someone incredibly incompetent. On three separate occasions, check-in, the night before check-out (to avoid me having to wait for a manager when I did check-out), and at check-out, I had to spend 30+ minutes at the front desk having my bill amended. I was double charged for rooms, charged $569/night when the rate I had secured was $209. Then, naturally, it took an act of Congress to get a charge removed from my bill that was inadvertently added. When I was being forced to contest my bill for the third time before check-out, the front desk clerk was visibly annoyed and got an attitude with me prior to bringing out the clown of a manager who never even apologized for the fact that I'd wasted two hours of my life trying to correct things that their employees get paid to do.

3) No room service menus in the rooms. The restaurants that are in the hotel/casino will not allow hotel guests to order over the phone and do not deliver. The gym opens at 8:00am, which is a bit absurd.

I'll stop with those, though my list could go on indefinitely. I will never, ever, ever again be staying at the MGM Grand in Detroit and HIGHLY recommend those who value their time and their energy not stay there either.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms don't smell as much like smoke as the lower rooms.