“Simply...Exceptional!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Simply...Exceptional!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

There truly is no finer hotel to stay in, in the entire Detroit area. This hotel in fact ranks amongst the nicest I've stayed in, in the entire United States. Everyone here must have taken the Four Seasons school of customer service, and it shows. There was some concern at check-in and check out. Lines are a little longer than expected. No level of detail has been overlooked in the design of the hotel. Everything is modern, new, fresh and up to date. Things are done with a modern flair, but it is comfortable and welcoming. The rooms are wonderful. Complimentary wireless internet, firm but comfortable beds, flat screen TVs, both in the room and the bathroom, fluffy bathrobes, Ipod docking machines and more. The bathrooms have dual sinks, a separate toilet area, and gigantic walk in showers. The rooms are about 500 square feet and are very spacious and comfortable. The design is very modern and up to date and as the hotel itself is relatively new, things look great. The casino of course is the main focus of the hotel, and sadly since it allows smoking, it can be a bit of a turn off for those of us who don't enjoy second hand smoke. The restaurants are okay, but extremely overpriced. We ate at Bourbon Steak and while it was a good meal, the bill came to $250 and that's with just only one glass of wine each. Wolfgang Puck for breakfast was a big disappointment, and again, priced as if you were eating at the Ritz in Paris. Also watch out for the valet parking - they put a scratch on our vehicle and it was never resolved. The room rates are always quite high, so don't expect any bargains here. This hotel is for people who can shell out the dough, or those who are big players and somehow get their rooms at reduced rates or fully comped. If you've got the dough, and you want a luxurious atmostphere, you have arrived.

• Liked — Luxurious Rooms
  • Disliked — Overwhelmingly expensive restaurants
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
greenville, nc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

The MGM Grand hotel is the newest and most modern hotel in the Detroit area. The facility is beautiful and the rooms are exquisite. It all stops after your check-in. The staff is great about giving lip service, but no request is met. All in all the hotel simply is not worth the three hundred dollar a night room rate. The adjoining casino is comprised of roughly 2500 slot machines with the majority being one and two cent denominations. The casinos were very busy, need I say more?

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

I stayed at the MGM Grand Detroit for 1 night over Memorial Day weekend. Having a morning flight in and an evening flight out gave me extra time at the hotel, but obviuosly not enough time to try out everything. The hotel is exaceptionally easy to get to if you are following printed directions. It has a separate drive up valet (free) entrance for the hotel portion, which makes things so much easier than having to fight the casino crowd. Self parking is available, but it is as far away from the hotel as you can be and other than saving a few dollars in tips I'm not sure why anyone would use it over the valet. I booked my room through an auction website so I was prepared and expecting to be treated like a second class citizen and have the worst room available assigned. Not so! From the moment I stepped up to the door everyone went out of their way to be courteous and helpful. I felt like a whale (Vegas speak). Check in was easy and I was given all the requests I had asked for at the time of booking. I really can't overemphasize how well the staff treated me during my stay and it definitely made a lasting impact. The hotel is located about a mile away from Comerica Park and Ford Field in downtown Detroit. The fields are within walking distance if you are generally fit and wear comfortable shoes. There wasn't much else around the hotel that I saw, but according to other reviewers there should be shopping and such near by (I doubt within walking distance though). There was a large construction site across from the hotel which was inactive during my stay, so be warned that it could have an effect on other stays when working.

Room details... My room was very large with a king bed, sofa, desk, dresser/mini bar combo unit, lots of lighting, plasma flat screen TV, in-room safe, iron/board. The bathroom was huge with a dual sinks in front of one large mirror, in the middle of which was another small plasma TV. Walk-in shower that had enough room for about 10 average sized people, adjustable shower head and a "rain down" overhead shower head to the side. Lots of water pressure and maintained temperature. Plenty of light in the bathroom too. One of the things I really liked was the mood lighting controls. You can set the brightness of the entrie room to various levels at the touch of a button, but still have control of individual lights. It really is well thought out and especially useful (and not just for "that"). Another big plus was the blackout curtains. With them closed, it is nearly impossible to tell if the sun is up or not. Fantastic for those trying to sleep in. Speaking of sleeping, the bed was WAY too soft for me but most people would probably rank it very high for comfort. If you need a firm bed though, it could be a serious drawback. I did not notice any noise from other rooms, but the hallway is another issue. I'm not sure what any hotel can do about soundproofing around the door. It is more an issue with people not being aware that others may be trying to sleep at 1:30am and that they maybe shouldn't scream things to/at each other in that setting.

They have a free 24 hour business center, a community "living room" area reserved for hotel guests and four large, fast elevators serving 18 floors. The casino is only steps away from the hotel portion and offers just about every kind of gambling, drinking and entertainment option. Two HUGE drawbacks. First, as said by other reviewers, all the restaurants except Wolfgang Puck can only be accessed through the casino, which means no children (or anyone less than gambling age) allowed. Second, smoking is still allowed in the casino and is ever-present. A few times I needed to leave a table because I couldn't breathe without sharing someone else's toxic waste.

The hotel/casino has a number of fine restaurants and soem casual options. I had a great meal at Palette (an Asian buffet style restaurant) and also a very good lunch at Red Sauce in Breeze. Breeze is kind of like a food court with several affordable, casual options.

In my opinion the MGM Grand lived up to it's advertised 5 star rating. I would go back and recommend it to other adults. Families traveling with minors should look elsewhere though since this is very much an adult themed, restricted access property with very little even in the area for kids. For those without kids, or wanting to get away from them, this hotel is a spectacular option and you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — Just about everything
  • Disliked — bed is too soft, smoking in the casino
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

Just an update. You can get into the Casino now with a green card or foreign driver's license. Security was very nice and informative. Hotel and Salt Water was out of sight.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2008

We stayed at the MGM Grand in Detroit on April 4, 2008. We had 5 rooms on the concierge floor. The front desk staff were excellent. They were very accommodating and extremely friendly. We were celebrating my mother's 80th birthday and we were 10 people. We had 2 king and 3 queen rooms. There are no pull out couches just 1 or 2 beds. The rooms are not designed for families. We had to get a room for our 2 children across the hall. The concierge floor is worth the extra money. It includes a continental breakfast and cold drinks and snacks throughout the day. We really enjoyed having the extra space for everyone to gather and relax. Antonio is charming and very happy to pour you a drink of your choice. The rooms are beautiful. Very spacious and tastefully decorated. There is a plasma in the main room and another plasma built into the mirror in the bathroom. The bathroom is very large with a separate door to the toilet and a huge shower which is all glass enclosed. Turndown service provides you with chocolates, bottled water and robes. They also leave your tv on with a fire burning and soft music playing. Nice touch! The biggest disappointment is that all the restaurants but one are located on the casino floor. Anyone under 21 is not permitted to enter so don't make a reservation if you have minors. We ate at Wolfgang Puck which is the only restaurant on site that you can get to outside of the casino. Great food but so over priced and very loud. Location of the hotel is great and shopping is very close by (Somerset Mall and 12 Oak Mall). Overall, I would recommend this hotel for an adult weekend getaway. We would stay here again.

• Liked — Friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — Lack of restaurants and shopping on site
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

Stayed here during a function in their ball room--this way we could enjoy ourselves at the party without worrying about driving. Overall we had a blast--it seemed as if we were in another town on vacation (yet only burned a gallon of gas to get there!)

The good--there's lots of good here. This hotel really went all out on the decor and the touches. We had a room with 2 queen beds. The room is pretty big--had the 2 beds, a table/desk, low chest of drawers and 2 small "club" chairs. Yet it didn't feel packed or claustrophobic. The style was modern--dark/wenge-style woods, frosted glass shower & toilet closure. Red glass accent in the shower (see the pix). Beds were comfortable, sheets were nice. Great plasma tv on the wall, a speaker for you i-Pod, nice robes, towels and toiletries. TV in the bathroom.

There is a small safe in the closet. It's about as deep as a checkbook (surprisingly small)--so don't bring all your jewels.

The hotel is completely non-smoking, and has you sign to agree to a $250 cleaning fee if you smoke in the room. The casino has the typical amount of smoke.

Didn't open the minibar--the front desk did alert us that it has a sensor and after 30 seconds a removed item is automatically billed.

The bathroom was amazing--big, beautiful (see pix). 2 sinks, lots of towels, the shower has 2 shower heads (though a bit confusing...) Big enough for 2 to easily shower together. (just to save time and water, of course.)

The lobby was beautiful, the "living room" great, and the overall casino is also beautiful (though I don't spend much time there.)

All--and I mean everyone we dealt with--of the staff was very pleasant, polite and helpful.

Now the "needs a bit of work"--Nothing was bad at our stay. But some of the service needs polishing to justify this type of hotel.

As with the experience of another reviewer, we had to wait for our room. We arrived a bit after 3pm, the check in time, but our room was not ready. The front desk attempted to check with housekeeping, but was not getting a response. After about an hour, the front desk was able to find us a room (since the one we were going in wasn't going to be ready until after 4:30)--so it worked out, but it does make me wonder if there is a trend on the room check in time.

Note that check out time is 11 am, and the buffet (Palette) doesn't open until then, so we needed to check our bags again. (and they were always quite quick with this service.)

The in-room check out (via the TV) indicated I was checked out (which I hadn't done.) When I checked with the concierge, it showed I was still checked in--so she checked me out. So I'd verify if you're using the in-room process.

I thought the food in Palette was really pretty good given the price ($26)--amazing assortment--loved the lamb chops, the sushi was unexpectedly good, scallops were good, bread very good--etc. Only issue is that they don't seem to have enough wait staff. Some stations didn't have serving utensils, it took about 20 minutes to get our water & coffee ordered. But once we got it ordered, we had very prompt refills.

We had a blast, loved the room, and the staff was great. Like I said, none of the "needs work" items would keep me from returning.

• Liked — Beautiful, comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Room not ready at check in time
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
CGK, SIN, HKG, DTW
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

3/23/08: U.S. Permanent Resident with dual photo ID (U.S. green card with photo / Permanent Resident Card, and a photo ID from a foreign country) was _ denied entry into the casino. _ Explanation given: "Green card holders must carry a passport in order to be allowed on the property." Guards were rude and supervisor was absolutely inflexible. Don't give any business to these crooks, if civil liberties and laws of the United States of America matter to you at all!

• Liked — Leaving the premises!
  • Disliked — Rudeness, disregard for U.S. federal laws, lack of common sense.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends

Been to MGM Grand Detroit? Share your experiences!