“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Manteno, Illinois, Usa
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I would highly recommend the MGM Grand Detroit. From the moment I pulled into the valet line to the moment of check out I could not have been more pleased. Once in the room the quality of the room was beyond great. I love the fact that the shampoos and other toiletries were from H20. One of my favorite companies. The restaurant staff and basically anyone I came into contact with during my stay was AMAZING!

578 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Michigan, North Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the MGM hotel on opening day April 2013. The hotel is beautiful but way over priced. The rooms are big but nothing fancy. We paid 349.00 plus tax. We only got free coffee for that price. The hotel is beautiful but the area is not that nice there charging prices like you would pay in Chicago . This no Chicago !!! The only good restaurant is Tap. We at at Wolfgang Pukes (didn't like it at all) way way over priced. We would go to the restaurant
Tap again and maybe do a little gambling there but would not pay to stay there again!!!

Hoover
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My wife and I have visited many Casinos over the last several years but none outside of Las Vegas compare to the MGM Grand in Detroit. Other than having looser Slots this experience can not be beat. The rooms are the nicest you will find and All the staff in the entire Casino treat you as though you are their best customer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I guess I'm jaded from the hotels in Vegas, Reno, New Orleans and Mississippi, but I was not at all impressed with MGM Grand Detroit.

The rooms were very pretty. The lobby was pretty. Everything else was sub-par.

I pre-paid with a corporate card, I faxed in the authorization from our comptroller and then I called to make sure they received the fax. Yes, they assured me they did.

So when I got to the hotel, I once again confirmed with the front desk that they did indeed have the authorization. Yes, they assured me they did.

Lo, and behold when I went to check out 3 days later, they suddenly had "never received the fax." ....Charging my credit card $1100.00

I had the ORIGINAL copy of the authorization in my purse which they couldn't accept because it wasn't faxed. LOL!

And then they were rude about it!!!!

Everything is way overpriced. There's no coffee in the room, you have to get dressed in the am, trudge down to the lobby, wait in line with all the other guests to pour your coffee and go back up to the room.

The M Life comps are the cheapest I've ever seen. The low table limits on blackjack are 15 dollars. Pretty pricey considering this casino floor is loaded up with penny slots. I dropped 300 dollars my first night and didn't even earn a free cup of Starbucks coffee, let alone their ridiculously overpriced and yet somehow sub-par buffet. Comped drinks? Forget it. I was approached by one waitress the whole time and they only offer soda, no "adult" beverages. You'll have to pay for those.

There's no real gift store in the place, just some tiny little hole in the wall to get a Coke or an asprin or Rolaids (which you'll need if you eat at the Breeze café.)

Wolfgang Pucks Steak House was wonderful (spring asparagus soup, oh my God!) and the Tap bar is fine, if pricey.

All in all, I hope to never go back. My final word in the MGM Grand Detroit is "meh."

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
Brooklyn, New York, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Definitely made my business trip a bit more enjoyable. The staff is very friendly and fun. The rooms were the same caliber that you would see in Vegas. The Gym and pool areas were clean and gorgeous.I would love to visit again soon.

Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Great hotel , clean and comfortable , would recommend to anyone.
Staff very friendly. Usually go to Las Vegas, but this was even better. Just a great experience over all !!!! whether your looking for a one night stay or a weeks vacation, this is the place to stay.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We planned a last minute trip to Detroit and booked a room with MGM online. We did not realize we actually booked the room at the Las Vegas location. When we arrived at the hotel it was about 11:30PM and we were tired from our drive in. Julie Webster the Office manager brought our electronic error to our attention. But it was no problem she got us switched over and set us up with a beautiful room. She was nothing but helpful and made what could have been a horrible experience a phenomenal one. Thank you Julie Webster for going the extra mile

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to MGM Grand Detroit? Share your experiences!