“I would come back in a heartbeat.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
“I would come back in a heartbeat.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The staff was very friendly and willing to help. They made me feel comfortable. The beds provided a great night's sleep. The atmosphere at the Tap (Sports Bar) was enjoyable. I ate there twice and was very pleased both times.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Brighton, Michigan, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the MGM the night of the home opener. The staff called a taxi for us to get there and back so we did not have the hassle of parking our own vehicle and fighting to get in and out of the lot. The staff is exceptionally helpful and accommodating. Everyone treated us with the utmost respect and was very friendly. We love the way we are treated when we stay over night. They truly do make you feel like a VIP!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Marshall, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Can't say enough about the facilities and service. Luxury all the way. High end furnishings, bed, shower bigger than a room, very nice hair/shower products, very clean and the air in the hotel and elevators smelled incredible. I want my house air to smell that great. It really is an amazing place. Service from staff was just awesome. They don't mess around there. Everyone seems to care and wants me to have a great experience. I was impressed and that's not easy. I'm not a big casino person, so that wasn't a draw. Great place for a conference however. Food in conference was all very good. Food at dining court/breeze was pretty mediocre. Wasn't able to try the other dining. Some things to improve. It would have been nice to have had better room temperature comfort control. I was very hot, despite it being chilly outside. I had not good way to cool down the room. Remained hot, even though I turned it down to 65 and turned on the fan. Rooms need more outlets for charging/using mobile devices and CPAP. Could not figure out how to get into room mini-bar--no instructions, so I didn't use the in-room mini-bar option. Oh, I forgot, spa facilities are great as well. Excellent massage.

Sterling Heights
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed at the MGM Hotel in January. This hotel is one of the most comfortable hotels that have ever stayed in. The linens and bed were very comfortable. The rooms were very clean and very modern. This hotel is a little more expensive than others, but every penny is worth the comfort and luxury that you get when staying overnight at the MGM Grand Hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was our second stay at the MGM Grand. The first was for the Detroit Marathon, and we were so impressed with the room that we wanted to go back sometime when we could enjoy it more. We brought our teenage son along and ran into some trouble. It should be clearly stated that the restaurants are not available to anyone under 21. We had no idea that we would not be able to eat at any of the restaurants we had hoped to visit. We asked for a security escort for our teenaged son but were told we would have had to call 2 weeks in advance....but this information was not printed or conveyed to us in any way prior to our arrival. To have so many restaurants inaccessible was a huge disappointment and we were forced to eat in the Sports Bar, with average food. The spa and fitness center are beautiful, with a great pool. Overall, it's a beautiful hotel, but a hotel of this level should have more than a sports bar available as restaurant options.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ludington, Michigan, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

What a magnificent hotel! You can't go wrong with this beautiful hotel. The rooms are first class. All staff is very accommodating.
The casino floor is very clean and the games are lots of fun. Come one come al and experience it for yourself

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

There are a few reasons I gave this hotel/casino a 4, both good and bad. I was only in the casino for 2 hours, and I didn't stay at the hotel, so I will only base this review on the casino itself. First the bad or not so good:

- The casino wreaked of smoke, and I am not a smoker. There was a small smoke free section, but emphasis on small.
- A friend went to use the toilet and over heard the janitor cleaning the stall next to him using profane language about how he hated what he was doing, and that he was fed up to put it nicely. Not what you want any of your employees saying in front of patrons, no matter where they are in the hotel.
- We were getting in the elevator from our parking spot and were asked for money by a lady in a leather jacket to get gas for her car. Her story seemed legit and we were able to help a little, however we then spotted her down in the casino area 2 minutes later. She then spoke to us again and asked us where the valet was. We found this very weird, and are probably just making a big deal out of nothing, but it wasn't the best first impression to have been made on us.
- We did go on a Saturday night, but we couldn't find any tables for under $15 a hand. A little too steep for our liking.
- I only saw 1 drink lady come around the whole 2 hours I was there.

The good:
- One of my buddies wanted to play poker but he didn't know there was a dress code. He had on a t-shirt and jeans, and was allowed to go into the poker room any way. The workers in that area were understanding.
- I like slots from time to time, and this place had tons of slots. Slots upon slots. Tons to choose from, and a lot of brand new slots that were a lot of fun to play.
- 1 person left up $100 playing slots, I left up $10 playing slots, and two others left down $40 and down $50 playing roulette and poker respectively.
- Signage was clear and easy to spot from many areas of the floor. We could find the ticket redemption areas, restrooms and the exit fairly easy.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience, and didn't over stay my welcome. Got in, played some slots, went up, went down, and left up. All in all, it's hard to beat that, just wish it wasn't so smokey inside.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to MGM Grand Detroit? Share your experiences!