“Location and price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
“Location and price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This location is very close to Nemo's and if you are attending a downtown event, can get the Nemo's shuttle. The price is very reasonable, but it isn't real clean. The carpet hadn't been vacuumed, nor were the fingerprints from lamps, phone and windows cleaned. But if you want an inexpensive place to sleep for a night - conveniently located, this shouldn't be overlooked. They also have great security with parking in a secured lot with a guard.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the court yard, and away from the elevator and stairs.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Calistoga, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

OK, so I were extremely weary to stay at this place due to reviews, but seriously! IT WAS NOT THAT BAD!
This was one of the cheapest hotels in the area, which we needed since we were in a 7 day vacation and we were not looking into spending a whole lot of money in hotel rooms, specially when we only use it to sleep for a few hours. We flew from VA. to Milwaukee, where we spent one day, then we drove to Detroit, MI. where we spent 3 days and then Chicago, IL. where we spent 4 days. We payed $181.00 for the 3 days we stayed in this motel, so the value was great.
Yes, the neighborhood was a little lonely, but I didn't see any prostitutes or crack heads or anything of that sort, people just tend to exaggerate and over react to things. There is a gate that you need to open with your room key if you are driving, for extra protection.
The rooms were ok, they could be a little bigger though I think, the bed was not all that comfortable, but it did. The deco was old and out dated, but who cares, were were only there a few hours a day to get some sleep and then back out in the city exploring.
Overall the clean was room, no bed bugs. The hotel's location was very good for our itinerary, it was close to some nice bars.
They have HBO and other nice channels if you care for those kind of things.
I was pleased with my stay here overall, the hotel is definitely seen better days and needs an upgrade in furniture and such, but for the money we paid, it'd do!.
The one thing i did find annoy8ing were the people in the reception, some foreigners I believe from Russia, it was extremely hard to understand them and for them to understand their guests.
Oh! we also didn't get any room service for the 3 days we were there! it was odd! but we were so busy running around the city and completing our itinerary that we didn't ever have the time to talk to the people in the reception about it. Not a big deal for us, we didn't run out of soap or anything, but I'm sure it can be a deal breaker for other, so this is why I bring this up. You might want to keep this in mind.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheyboygan, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Staying at the Corktown Inn is a little like staying at a haunted house on a dare. Even though you're sure to make it out alive, you're never quite the same. From start to stop, the entire experience there was surreal and I can't shake the feeling that I should get a blood test after staying there.

Seedy, sleazy, dirty, loud and in general disrepair. It's a terrific place to hit rock bottom and the right joint if you plan to stay for a while.

Room Tip: Bleach the tub and sleep there. Whatever you do, don't bring a black light.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

I stay here 4 a weekend in the hot tub suite from june 8 to 11 first of all the female that works their @ nite is ignore and rude as HELL she was no help @ all me and my boyfriend didnt understand y we had 2 pay a 5 dollar deposit 4 the key when we were going 2 return it when we checked out WTH were we going 2 do with a key u cant use it after u check out anyway she wouldnt explain she told us 2 go 2 another hotel and we should have so we went 2 the room the hot tub was huge big enough for 3 people but when we pulled the covers back it was pubic hairs everywhere so i took a pic of it with my phone and called the front desk she said u have 15 minutes 2 look @ the room and see if its a problem its been 25 so i went downstairs 2 show her the pics because i wanted 2 be moved and she just watched tv and wouldnt look @ the pics nor would she give us another room so we didnt sleep we had 2 wait until the next day when the owner was their and showed him the pics he moved us then when we came out 2 leave on Monday our car window was busted out some1 broke in and stole the Damn radio and the front desk said oh yeah u have 2 park behind the in close fence otherwise people car has been broken into thank 4 telling us never again will i stay HERE plz Stay away

• Stayed June 2012
Ypsilanti, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I have been in cheaper hotels that were much cleaner than this one. It was a lipstick imprint on the wall by the vanity, the ice bucket was dirty with splatters of juice, the water drainage is very, very slow, the washclothes that were supposed to be white were dingy looking. While taking a shower the bathtub almost completely filled up due to the slow drainage. As soon as we got off the elevator you could smell weed, had I stayed in the hall it may have given me a contact! If your looking for a place to stay and really not concerned with the cleanliness; perhaps if you're not planning to be in the room for a long time then this may be the place for you, however I will not be staying there again!

Room Tip: Bring your own cleaning supplies
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

But some people will not be happy there. This IS Detroit and this is a budget hotel. Be prepared to be a bit thick-skinned and I think many people will find it is OK.

The good:
I stay at the Corktown Inn frequently (over 30 times in the last 2 years). You can't beat the price and it is a very good value for the money. Beds are fine, linens are thin but clean, landscaping (what there is of it) is actually nice, the area is quiet (too quiet sometimes), rooms are OK - aged decor but OK - and generally clean, there may be maintenance problems as is common at budget hotels, AC works but doesn't blast you with coolth. TV's are fine - lots of channels - but don't expect to always have a remote in your room. The free WIFI works but can be overloaded at times - don't expect to stream movies.

It is 1.2 miles from downtown, which is walking distance but non-urbanites will likely feel uncomfortable - the area is empty parking lots (Tiger stadium used to be here) and sometimes abandoned industrial buildings. You will likely be happier with a car than walking, although I always walk here and feel safe. People on the street, even the scary ones, often say hello. That's Detroit. The Historic Corktown (the residential part) neighborhood is actually nice on a few streets nearby, but not right by the Inn.

The staff is very nice and helpful, and the owner is often at the Inn and he seems to care.

There are some good eats nearby - don't miss Mudgie's Deli 2 block away, which serves a nice lunch, dinner, and Sunday brunch for a nice price, and was rated best Deli in the county. Also Slow's Barbecue, of course.

Not so good:
It can be a bit shocking, with fresh underwear and condoms in the vending machine in the lobby, front door to the Inn is always locked (you get buzzed in or use your key), reception is behind glass for safety, there is furniture on sale in the lobby, and the neighborhood is a bit spooky. Carpets in the hall have some wear. You get a little bar of inexpensive soap and a packet of shampoo, so bring your own. Telephones are sketchy - I wouldn't depend on the room phone to even call the desk. Use your cellphone and get the desk number. I have stayed many nights here and only once did some drunk try to get into my room. Another time I found bedbugs, but that is not so unusual even in quality hotels. The walls are thinner than I like, so if someone next door is talking loudly (or worse, partying) you will hear it. The staff seems to be reluctant to deal with noisy or misbehaving guests. Another guest once thought they heard a gunshot in the room next door (wow). You will occasionally see people that look like hookers and possibly druggies in the lobby, and I have seen the police here twice. But after many stays at the Corktown Inn I have decided it is safe and a very good value for my budget.

Room Tip: Do NOT take a room on the parking lot side. The electric gate to the parking lot beeps all night, wh...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
West Lafayette, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at the Corktown Inn while working a promo job for the Belle Isle Grand Prix. As a solo female traveler, I would recommend this place. It's not the nicest place, but it's cheap, clean enough, and the staff is nice. After reading some reviews, I had my doubts (especially arriving at 1AM), but the room was clean and I never felt unsafe in the 4 nights I stayed. The only downsides were the old school cigarette smell that permeated EVERYTHING and the incredibly thin walls between rooms. Overall, it did the job, and I plan on staying there every time I work in Detroit!

Room Tip: Make sure you check out the room after you check in. A friend had to switch rooms 3 times (one didn...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Corktown Inn? Share your experiences!