“Just ok” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Panama City
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Their miso ramen and Soba noodles are good soups. This place's downfall are their prices. Ridiculous. The sushi is not up to par with what they are asking customers to pay. I went twice. First time, I had Soba and one salmon roll and my bill was outrageous. The next time, I only ordered a miso ramen and was semi-pleased.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Leawood, Kansas
“Sushi: Tasty and Fast at DTW Airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Airport Food. These words strike fear in most frequent travelers. But when I travel through the Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW), I look forward to a little bit of a layover because it permits me the pleasure of dining at Sora. Of course, with all the Japanese executives who pass through here in connection with automotive business, there is an expectation of top quality. They are not disappointed.

Sora Japanese Cuisine and Sushi Bar is located in the McNamara Terminal (Delta, Air France, SkyTeam Airlines) on the A Concourse near Gate A35. As you enter, there is a Sushi Bar immediately in front of you or serviced tables to the right. I usually travel alone so I prefer the sushi bar. The waitresses will store your bag while you eat (usually park it against the wall next to the kitchen). The menu is extensive but I usually come for the sushi. Prices aren't cheap, but not as crazy as Shoyu in Minneapolis-St.Paul airport. My meal is usually more of a quick snack, an appetizer selection of 3 pieces of Nigiri (usually tuna, salmon and yellow tail) and a spicy tuna hand roll. I would have ordered sashimi which in my opinion requires a couple shiso leaves to spice it up. But they don't have shiso using lettuce instead. At Sora, I have eaten larger bigger meals and various salads and noodle treats too. It's all very good. The sushi chefs are authentic Japanese chefs and know their stuff. The order comes and is fresh and plentyful. The rice is flavored perfectly and is at the right temperature. I wash it all down with a bottle of beer and for my pleasure, I usually pay about $29 plus tip. Service is efficient and with a smile - a rarity with some of the airport food establishments.

They also do to-go boxes if your layover is shorter than needed to sit down and enjoy your order on site.

Sora is convenient, fast and very tasty, 3 rare elements when it comes to airport food. I recommend this place without hesitation.

• Visited June 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Nice break from American food but not so great Sushi”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

This place offers a variety of Japanese food including Sushi, Chicken Ricebowl, and Noodles. I ordered Tekka Don, which had only thin slices of tuna and few other things for $24. I would order Tendon or something else if I ever go back there.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ubud
“My personal choice for dining at Detroit Metro.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Airport food is rarely spectacular and often disappointing. I am happy to recommend Sora in Detroit Metro Airport as one of the best choices for dining. I love Japanese food and Sora's offerings are very good - always fresh - always prepared well. It certainly is one of the healthiest choices at the airport and even though I know I will have meals for miles as a business class traveler to Asia I love eating at Sora before the flight.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint Louis, Missouri
“An unexpected pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We tried this place at the Detroit airport and we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the sushi with a good selection to choose from. Service was extremely prompt and we were quickly on our way to our connecting flight. This was much better than your typical airport bar fare! Definitely worth checking out!

• Visited November 2013