“Great jewel tucked away in Detroit” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Dolce Vita is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 977 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cedarhurst
Southfield, Michigan
“Great jewel tucked away in Detroit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I had my assistant make reservations there for my annual mothers day dinner basically based on reviews and I was not disappointed. The service was excellent from the valet to the host to the server. They really went out of their way to make my girls feel special. The atmosphere is "old world"...italian theme..authentic feel..

We were given the option of dining outside, but it was VERY muggy and although it was really tempting and pretty...it wasnt conducive for looking good LOL.

The food was outstanding. Every person enjoyed their entree AND dessert. This was no "olive garden" type of GFS pasta in alfredo sauce from a jar. Tastes like mama and Aunt Helene were in the back picking spices for the sauces by hand!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Asheville, North Carolina
“Great Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our Deyroit relatives brought us here for a very nice family dinner. Wonderful food, great wine list.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best Italian Restaurant in Detroit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We discovered La Dolce Vita a few years ago and have been big fans ever since. We have eaten here multiple times and have always enjoyed our meals. The pricing is very reasonable for the quality you receive. I would highly recommend this restaurant for a romantic evening out or a business lunch or dinner before a show or game. We love the perch and the lasagna. The Sunday brunch with the bottomless mimosa's is also very good!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Deliciously Divine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Had a wonderful brunch here with some friends. Comfortable and elegant aesthetic and the greenery outside is beautiful. If I'm in the area again, I'll be sure to visit!

Detroit, Michigan
“May have been busier than usual in the kitchen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This was my second visit to La Dolce Vita (LVD.) I loved my first experience there and believed that this would be very much the same. I dined with a friend and a family member. The three of us were seated close to the booked reservation time. The restaurant was busy due to Detroit Restaurant Week (DRW) so the short wait was expected.

Each of us ordered different first and second courses off of the DRW menu. The Mozzarella Caprese was fabulous as was the Scaloppa Creola; however, the Insalata Primavera was missing one of the main ingredients. It was described as a salad of fresh Belgium endive, fresh fennel and orange vinaigrette. My plate arrived without any endive. I love fennel so not all was lost. What I didn't care for was the fact that the orange vinaigrette did not have enough acid to counterbalance the olive oil used. The presentation of the salad was also lacking.

All three main courses tasted great. We ordered the Vitello Valdostana, Baccala LDV (Cod), and Pollo Saltimbocca. Each dish tasted great. Dessert was perplexing. The Bumpy Cake was great. Two of us ordered cannoli only to find out that they didn't have any filling -- curious since this was one of three choices. Two of us then selected the Crème Brûlée. It was fabuluos but it was served with a fork! Needless to say, much of the Crème Brûlée was left in the dishes.

Service was decent but not great. It was clear that the staff wanted to turn tables. We will return again but not for this event.

One final comment: I really disliked the bread offered for the meal both times that I dined at LDV. It is bland, tastless, soft, and just doesn't work for a restaurant of this caliper.

• Visited April 2013