“Monday Night Buffet” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Monday Night Buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I had dinner with family here on Monday night. Had a very good experience. Food was great, not the best Italian food I've eaten but very good and a nice variety. They served dishes like Veal Parmesan, Spaghetti with Meat Sauce, Roasted Potatoes, Mostaccioli, Sausage and Peppers and Cannolis. The staff was very friendly and took very good care of us. We did run into a slight problem ordering food to go even though we called ahead for it but they did correct it. Overall very nice experience. Restrooms do need to be updated! They are WAY TOO SMALL!

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Istanbul
“Italian food without italian atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

When i was told Roma Cafe is oldest Italian restaurant in Detroit my expectations were raised immediately, 120 year old experience should have reflected in service and food quality.First all of Roma Cafe is not an avarage Italian but also not top of the list.Waiters in tuxedos were nice to watch however unlike typical Italian restaurants they didn't add much value to the atmosphere. We ordered prosciutto and buffalo mozzarella but got avarage Italian cold cuts and cheese. We didn't much argue with waiters since we desperately need to start to eat but we were pretty much disappointed.Surprisingly our disappoinment turned into admiration when our main courses were served. My seapood pasta was amazing probably the best i ever have had in my life.They don't have an extensive wine list and the Amorone we had was very avarage.All in all there are cons and pros for Roma Cafe, i suggest to go there in a small group, keep your expectations for starters at a moderate level and be careful with Amorone!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Madison Heights, Michigan
“poor wait staff with heavy accent”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My first time at the restaurant with a group of about 20 people with reservation made over a week prior and we got seated in a small room. The room was small and I felt claustrophobic. The waiters came by took our orders. Then when the food came, the same waiters where standing in the middle of the small room calling out who got this dish and who got that dish. At the same time, one waiter was asking another waiter in Arabic language what to do. The waiters spoke Arabic to each other and they have a heavy accent which made it somewhat hard to understand them. My friend next to me ordered broccoli and the waiter comes with green beans on a separate dish (instead of placing it next to the steak), he said they ran out of broccoli and placed it on the table. One waiter comes in and said in front of the whole group if anyone wants coffee, instead of walking to each table. Then he comes back with water and does the same thing. Then the same waiters came back asked us what we wanted for dessert. We had no idea what we wanted because they didn't give us a menu. So we asked for the dessert menu and we ordered. Dessert was good. But the service can make or break and I would not recommend this place. This is a beautiful restaurant, however the wait staff made us feel not very welcomed. It seemed like we where just another group.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Always a choice when we are in downtown Detroit.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Love the waiters in tuxedos. Crazy around the sports scheduled events in Detroit. A true treasure. You must try to get there early.

Visited February 2012
Clinton Township, Michigan
“Not as good as past visits”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

First off - Roma Cafe has always come through with wonderful meals, service etc. But last night it was different. The dark haired hostess could not have been more rude. She barely acknowledged anyone, no smile, nothing. I am glad I was paying attention when she called our party, otherwise we would probably have been left standing. Our waiter was very good, a bit too hovering, he was one of the newer waiters. Most are wonderful and have been there for years.
It seemed to take longer than usual for our meal. Everything looked wonderful. This time I ordered veal scallopini with artichokes. A lot of extra oil on the plate, a lot of extra sauce. It was good, but not as good as in the past. Perhaps just a bad night. This will not put me off to going back and I will have the veal scallopini again because it was very good in the past.

• Visited December 2012