“Five blocks from the stadiums” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Certificate of Excellence 2014
NoCal
“Five blocks from the stadiums”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Four day reservation, plane gets delayed, not into DTW until 230am. Called earlier telling the desk very late. No problem, on arrival, the clerk was very nice, explaining all the amenities. I was actually one of the guests of the day, got a goodies bag witg treats and a gift. Nice touch. Up to the room, small but nice. Only thing was the exhaust fan in the bathroom was a tad loud and did nit have a switch to shut it off. Breakfast was good both days. Never used the fitness center nor bar. Valet parking was very attentive even at 3am when I checked in and 7am when I checked out. One thing I will say is everything seem to shut down by mignight and since I did not know my way around, I stayed to the ballpark and hotel even though I could see the MGM sign, knowing there has to be food at that late hour. During the day, I drove nearly 20 plus miles before I felt comfortable, and to a Target and Krogers super. Loaded up on snacks and fruit and brought it back. Overall, positive stay and cut the trip short because the World Series was over and changed my flight because of the fear of Sally. This would be the place to stay if you were going to a Tigers or Lions game.

• Stayed October 2012
HGIDETROIT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for the review, and congrats on being guest of the day! We were glad to have you and hope to see you again soon.

David Kipfmiller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We went to Detroit for a baseball game ( our team lost to the kitties) the hotel is two blocks from Comerica , which was great . Has a excellent restaurant with a even better bar . Close to the people mover so we could go anywhere in the city with out driving , walking distance from Fox theatre also! Overall the hotel is clean , the staff is friendly and it's in a great location , only down fall was some street noise late at night , sounded like kids racing motorcycles.

• Stayed September 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The staff was accommodating and friendly. Hotel and rooms were clean. The bed was incredibly comfortable! I stayed in a king-size. I frequented the pool/hot tub/fitness room daily. Though they're not the biggest, they were clean and suited my needs well. I love the central location. Walking distance to bars, restaurants, stadiums, Greektown, sight seeing, etc. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Upper floors facing the stadiums have a good view including the Tiger Stadium and the Fox Theater.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
MICHIGAN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was very leary to stay here from the beginning. I stayed here and I had a very good experience where I would stay here again before going somewhere else. The front desk staff was very friendly and acknowledge the special occasion that we were celebrating. Nothing like amneties at the hotel which included a sports bar and resturant. The down side was the valet parking it was very confusing when we pulled up it was a lot of people standing everywhere where we couldnt distingusih what and who was working for valet. At night it was a lot of employees not working loitering in front of the building which make it unsightly. But overall I will stay here again. oops one more point the breakfast resturant was very crowded in the morning and the hot food wasn't always stock without asking for more and it was confusingthe way you had to order omlets or pancakes. Be careful when reserving when I intially called to book the told me they were full when I called back the day of my arrival they had availability

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review, and stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Dave Kipfmiller
San Francisco, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The staff was pretty nice and the place clean and comfortable.
The "gym" fits 3 people max, with a treadmill, a bike and a small weight rack. The "pool" is smaller than my kitchen! Not sure if the parking is worth the extra $20 (I didn't drive there though). Conveniently located if whatever brings you to Detroit is downtown.
To sum it up, pretty standard for a Hilton. Not luxurious, but nice still. I see that it's classified as a $$$$ on some other websites but I'd say it's more $$$.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and couldn't fault it. Rooms were comfortable and good size. Plentiful hot water and the staff couldn't do enough for us -t elling us where to visit / where not to and how people mover worked.
Hotel bar / diner was really friendly and served taty food in the evenings when we tended not to go out. Ashley was lovely and so cheerful.
I would recommend this hotel particularly if you are going to detroit for the football or baseball - you couldn't get closer to the stadiums!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for the first time and did not find it to be up to typical Hilton Garden Inn standards. Granted, it's probably a top option in a city without many, but the hallways smell like a bar/casino and the bathrooms aren't super clean. Parking is insanely expensive too.

• Stayed September 2012
HGIDETROIT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for the response and staying with us. We value your feedback, and will share with our team. I apologize if our hotel was not up to standard during your stay. Our team takes great pride in their service and our hotel's appearance. Please trust that we will continue to improve and make your next experience a better one. I also understand your concerns about parking. While there is a charge for parking, we have worked hard to ensure our cost are the same as our lower than the rest of the hotels in Downtown Detroit.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown? Share your experiences!