“Nice japanese food, but not cheap!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #145 of 912 Restaurants in Detroit
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Japanese
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice japanese food, but not cheap!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

My wife and me stopped for a quick lunch meal. I had a hot meal suggested by the cute waiter.. My wife cold meal. Mine was based on meat with japanese sauce and I liked.. We had tea. Total was US 47. Not cheap considering the amount served but I liked and better that I expected.. Speacially because i never have good meals on airports..

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Boston
“Pretty Good and a great way to pass the time while you are waiting for your flight.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I am going to base this on my overall experiences versus my last one. Overall, the sushi is great. I've tried one of their noodle dishes as well and it was also very good. The portions aren't huge, but in a good "This is not the Cheesecake Factory" sense. Sushi isn't typically cheap, so I thought the prices were right in line, especially at an airports restaurant. The staff is usually friendly. When I took out to eat on my flight, it took about ten minutes (I ordered a cooked maki rolls as I cannot have raw sushi...just a scant two months and once the baby arrives, I can get back to the good stuff).

The place is usually very busy, so don't be alarmed if you have to wait for a table or sit at the sushi bar next to a stranger. I see people give the staff sour looks if they can't hoard a table by themselves and have to decide if they can reduce themselves to sitting next to someone they do not know.

I usually make it a point to eat here when I'm flying into Detroit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ithaca, NY and Toronto, Ont.
“Unremarkable sushi; fine appetizers and prompt, attentive service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I had an early evening meal midweek during a stop-over at the Detroit Airport. The service was very friendly and attentive, and my server's two suggestions—the spicy octopus-seaweed salad, and the idea of adding red and green ground dried chilis to miso soup—were the best parts of the meal. At $30, the "sushi jo" assorted sushi entree is overpriced by $8-12, and the wasabi dollops between the rice and the seafood were too large. I would go here again, and I would order the sushi a la carte. I can't say enough, though, about the fine, welcoming service.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Illinois
“Best food in the Detroit airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

What a treat to be able to have sushi in an airport! I fly through DTW frequently, and this is my first choice for a meal if I have a long enough layover. They are pretty fast for a sit-down place, and their menu is very good with decent prices for an airport. For lunch, I like miso soup and an order of California Roll, which costs only about $10. They also have soba noodles and ramen which I've not gotten yet but looks delicious. Service is wonderfully friendly.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Great Sora Roll”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

If you have some time, check out the Sora roll at Sora near Gate A34. It comes as a vegetarian roll, wrapped in rice paper not in seaweed. You can add things into it, but it delicious as is. There is a picture of this roll as it comes (minus one piece.. ok I was hungry). The other Japanese food is very authentic, though the sushi seems a bit pricey. I wonder if they get their fish fresh from Japan on the Delta non-stop. It is the best restaurant at DTW.

There are so many Asian fliers and Americans who are familiar with Japanese cuisine that this restaurant must maintain its authenticity.

• Visited May 2012