“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #62 of 71 Attractions in Detroit
Activities: Gambling, Dining
More attraction details
Owner description: A casino where you don't need to gamble? That's the idea at MotorCity, designed to satisfy gamblers and non-gamblers alike with its comprehensive gaming offerings and dining and entertainment delights. Its restaurants, which range from fine dining to barbecue, are run by one of the two certified master chefs in Michigan.
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed at the hotel on Feb 8, 2014. Her and I both agreed that the room was the hotel room we've been in. Though we should have gotten a room on the 13th floor perhaps would have been a slightly better view; however, our 5th floor view was non-the-less a great view. We will definitely be returning in the future. Good job and thanks to the staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ferndale, Michigan
“Shockingly under staffed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I went on a casino trip to the Motor City Casino on Saturday. Around 50 of us arrived at 4pm. We were met downstairs, our information taken and told to go upstairs to customer service to receive our players card. (This was a fundraisers so must of us were newbies.) Upstairs was a line that went all the way across the casino. Not once during the almost 2 hours we stood in line did anyone come around offering or selling anything to drink. It was 5:57 when I finally received my card. I was told that if I gave my e-mail address and gambled for 1 hour I could get a 1 night stay in the hotel for free, so of course I did. Some of my friends and I decided to go to dinner before gambling. In the restaurant we wanted to order the drinks on the menu but were informed they no longer served drinks. We would have to leave and go to the bar if we wanted a drink. After dinner I decided to try and find the no smoking section to gamble. I never found a sign and when I asked someone who worked there they just pointed and said that way. Finally at 7:12 I found the no smoking rooms down a long hall way. Okay now I can gamble with my $30 credit but I couldn't get my card to work. I presses the help button (service) on one of the machines but no one came. Finally, once again I went out to find help. I ran into someone from my group who said I have to put in money to get the credits to work. Shouldn't someone have told use this when we got our card? I go back and start playing the machine. I sit down next to the machine I pressed for service. (The women on it was excited she was up over $200.) At 8:15 someone noticed the light on her machine and asked if she needed help. Yep an hour later. At 8:30 I went downstairs to make sure I found the bus on time. We were suppose to leave at 9. Some one told me to check and see if I gambled an hour. Of course I did, nope I was short 17 minutes. I sit on a machine by the door and try to get my time in but had to leave short 6 minutes short. On the ride home everyone seem to have the same problems as I did. Most of us had fun, despite Motor City Casino and would never go back again but will go some where else.

Southfield, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
“Invasive security screening for elderly female”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

I am a female senior citizen. I visited the casino on 2-1-14. Prepared to have my purse searched, as usual, the male security officer demanded that I pull my coat behind my back like the male patrons. I was very offended by this! It had never happened before at any casino. When have old ladies become such a high security risk? I feel that this was inappropriate. If such Gestapo tactics are needed at this casino, then a female officer should perform this procedure. Then to top it off, he did not even look in my purse! It was very humiliating. I plan on going to MGM where security treats you with respect! Dignified senior citizen

Garden City, Michigan
“Tight Slots”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

First time visiting this casino. First thing I noticed entering the parking structure, Security! Walking and driving around all the floors. I felt safer here than at one of the other casino's in the area which I did not see any, where you have to be cautious of 'shady' characters roaming around the structure and in the elevators panhandling. They are located in a pretty bad area of Detroit so it was nice to see the presence of security.
The staff seemed friendly the few times I talked to them. Waitstaff seemed to make their rounds often and were pleasant.
Slots seemed very tight. Dropped a lot of money into various slot machines with very little, if any, winnings. I don't expect to walk out with a lot of winnings, but I would like to hit sometimes to make my dollars stretch a little further to give the illusion I'm doing alright. Throughout the evening it appeared that the loss seemed consistent among banks of slots. Loosen them up and maybe people will stay a little longer. The layout seems less confusing and congested than other places.
I have yet to stay in the hotel. I earned a free room after an hour of play which is one of the promotions that had offered at the time of my visit. But the lack of a swimming pool might deter me from staying here when I can go a couple blocks over and have looser slots and It would be nice to take a dip in between my losses.
Overall, not too bad. Not my first choice. First pick would be Firekeepers if up for the drive.

Visited January 2014
7 attraction reviews
“Will never go again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I am a resident in the area and this was my first visit to the casino. Beautiful hotel. We are at the fine dining restaurant iridescent, which was so unbelievably expensive, it was ridiculous. But the view is great. The casino is incredibly smoky. So much we could only stay an hour or so. I recommend the VIP room, less crowded and smoky. But the real kicker and the reason I will never go again is it took the valet service 45 minutes to find my car. The system they have is pathetic, and they must have 40 people on a shift the chaos is unimaginable. I asked for a supervisor and she apologized but also seemed like she could not account for why my car could not be found. A terrible experience. I will be going to Caesars palace in Windsor next time.