“Excellent location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Columbus, Ohio
“Excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

My son and I attended a Detroit Red Wings game last night and stayed here. The location was great; the service was fine, the room was clean, large, well appointed with a microwave oven, refrigerator, and a king-size bed. There was also a nice pool on the 17th floor. The complementary breakfast consisted bacon, sausage, pancakes, cereal, rolls, bagels fruit, and more. The wi-fi was slow because the hotel was full that night, but the manager said that they were going to upgrade their service. The valet service was fine. The bed was very comfortable with great pillows. One of the features that I really appreciated is that each table lamp has an electrical outlet on its base, so their is no need to crawl around looking for an outlet down by the floor. A small feature, but much appreciated by me.

Room Tip: My room was on the sixth floor facing the front, and I heard no noise--from the street, the hallway...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Purfessor,
Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience at our hotel with us. We strive to provide the best possible service and guest experiences every day, and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Portfolio Reputation Manager - Holiday Inn Express Detroit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Pontianak, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband and I had a great time the 2 nights we stayed at this hotel. The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly. Q as she likes to be called, made sure that our request for extra towels was received quickly. We did have trouble with the tub draining out, but again Q had it taken care of, with our permission, while we were out for the day. Q seemed genuinely consider that we enjoyed our stay. While at the hotel we were able to use the shuttle bus to take us around town, so we didn't have to drive and try to find a parking space which was nice. The valet crew was also very friendly when picking us up or taking us out. It was nice waking up to a smiling friendly face at breakfast. Joyce who served breakfast in the was very pleasant each morning. I am thankful for the dedication of Cheryl, who went next door to get me a spoon, when the keys to the kitchen could not be found. We truly enjoyed our stay. The room was very nice and the bed was very comfortable. For a weekend get-away, I'm sure we will visit again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Purple Angel,
I am so pleased that you and your husband chose to join us for your Valentine's Weekend getaway! We were truly humbled by your gracious comments regarding our hotel service team. All of the staff takes great pride in knowing that their hard work and dedication is making a difference to our guests. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of service that you described you received during your stay and I will certainly make sure I acknowledge the entire staff for their efforts, particularly Sheryl, Laquetta, and Joyce. We are excited to have the chance to welcome you back again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Last week I stayed at this hotel and I'm really happy to share this story. It may seem small to some people but it made my day! I was in town for work but did some sightseeing in my free time. One day I came back from visiting the Institute of Arts, trucking in the snow, hungry, a bit tired and ready for a nap. But overall I'd had a great day full of high spirits and happy people :-) When I arrived in my room it was nice and tidy, my bed had been made- the usual housekeeping stuff was done. But, I went to put my purse down on the desk next to the tv and to my delight, discovered a note sitting on the tv stand. It read "Smile :-) and have a wonderful day! Housekeeper Frances". It literally made my day! She didn't have to leave me a wonderful, positive note in addition to leaving my room so lovely but she did. When people go out of their way to make your day better with no intention of getting something in return, it's just too darn great not to share.

Thank you for making my stay a memorable one. If you see/meet Frances be extra kind to her. Cuz she totally deserves it!

• Stayed February 2014
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dobs Adventure,
On behalf of our entire staff, thank you so much for your kind review. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of service that you described you received during your stay and I will certainly make sure I acknowledge the entire staff for their efforts. We were truly humbled by your gracious comments regarding Frances. All of the staff takes great pride in knowing that their hard work and dedication is making a difference to our guests, we will recognize her specifically for the positive impact that she had on your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Portfolio Reputation Manager - Holiday Inn Express
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I enjoyed my stay here. I found a pleasant check in with the General Manager working the desk and giving a warm welcome on a cold January night. Energetic car runners made the Valet parking easy and convenient. I didn't try the People Mover nor the hotel shuttle bus. Cobo Hall is 3 blocks away, an easy walk, reasonably safe even at 9 PM. Room was very nicely furnished, clean, comfortable and quiet. Free wi-fi, microwave oven & fridge. I found no hint of odors that other reviewers noted. Breakfast was way above average, lots of hot dishes offered.
I often come to Detroit for the Auto Show. This is the first time to stay downtown and I would definately stay here again. It is clean, friendly and well-run.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Neil,
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Our goal is to provide superior service and accommodations to each and every guest that stays with us, and it is great to know that we are hitting our mark. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the hotel with all of our distinctive amenities such as valet, complimentary shuttle, breakfast, and complimentary wi-fi. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Portfolio Reputation Manager - Holiday Inn Express
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

This is a pretty basic hotel in downtown Detroit, which is great if you are here for a quick business trip. The breakfast isn't anything fancy, but it's enough. It's a little far from the people mover station, but other than that, I liked the location. Staff were nice and the rooms were clean.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
NY Reporter,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. I am glad that the hotel and our service team helped to enhance your visit. I regret that you found the location of the people to be distant, we can appreciate that with the temperatures this winter. Upon your return, we hope you will consider taking advantage of the complimentary shuttle. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Savannah, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

The place of the hotel is close to the center. However , there was a musty smell in some places that you can't ignore or avoid. The room was good and the view was nice from the fifth floor. Valet parking was included in my booking as it is unsafe to park by yourself. Make sure you have it in your booking.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Mr. Shaker,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. We truly value your input as it allows us to continually improve. I am pleased that you found the location convenient for your trip. Please accept my sincere apologies that you experienced an unfavorable odor during your trip. Rest assured, we are making many improvements to the hotel and will address your comment. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Ann Arbor, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

As others have mentioned the location is pretty good but that wouldn't be enough for me to return here unless I had no other options. It's not a bad place but I couldn't get past the smell of the hotel, the damage to the room or elevators, or the dark and creepy lighting they have everywhere. No matter where I went in the hotel there was a musty, sweaty, old smell...not necessarily overpowering but very hard to ignore. In the room furniture was scratched in some places and missing chunks in others. The metal elevators have lots of graffiti from top to bottom. The hallways are dark and creepy and each floor has vending machines by the elevators, stocked with condoms and meds, making it feel sleazy and making for an interesting conversation with my 7 year old. On the bright side it did have a pool and a gym which was surprisingly well outfitted with cardio and weight equipment.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Serenity,
Thank you for choosing us as your hotel during your last visit. It was a pleasure to have you and your family at our hotel. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. Please know that we are working diligently to improve your experiences throughout the hotel, as you noticed in the pool area and fitness center. We look forward to continuing those improvements and hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Portfolio Reputation Manager - Holiday Inn Express, Detroit
313-253-4344

Been to Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown? Share your experiences!