“Very Nice Dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Detroit
“Very Nice Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Visited the Chop House last Saturday for the first time with my wife and friends. Started with drinks at the bar and then a very nice dinner. The steaks were prepared exactly as ordered and with perfection. The sides were good, but nothing special. The atmosphere of the Chop House is outstanding. Great bar, great tables and booths, and the entertainment (a piano player and singer) was wonderful. This place is expensive, but a great place to spend a special evening.

Visited October 2013

Huntington Woods, Michigan
“Old School Detroit dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Since The Chop opened back 2012 I've been wanting to have dinner here. We stopped by for drink on mothers day and thought it was lovely.

I took my husband out for a celebratory dinner and it was everything we could have hoped for.
The food was wonderful (perfectly cooked steak). The service from the valet to the waiter to the bar tender at the cigar bar could not have been more gracious.
The manager stopped by the booth to ask if there was any way they could improve our visit...seriously? Unless they paid for it there was no room for improvement.
Oh, and the booth...we sat in the famous (or infamous) Booth One, where back in the day all the movers and shakers, mayors and mobsters sat.

It was just a wonderful experience. They know for most people, this kind of dining experience is a once a year sort of thing and they strive to keep the experience up to that sort of standard. I see some people have posted that they felt they were being snobs. because they have a strict dress code, etc..
Let me say this, if I'm going to spend that kind of money for a night to mark a special occasion, I dont want some one in casual attire sitting next me with their screaming kid. Use your common sense people. Not everything has to be casual.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dearborn, Michigan
“Revisit Old School Dinning”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Shared single malt scotch and cigars with my husband. Telling him old stories of how it use to be back in the day. The service and food spot on. We have returned for both business and pleasure after the first visit. Well done.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Detroit, Michigan
“Don't know about the food, but the attitude sucks...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stopped by to meet my hubby for a drink. He was coming from the office. Before he arrived, I was denied entrance because I was too casually ( but of course modestly) dressed. Okie Doke, I can deal with that. I was offered the alternative of going to their cigar bar. I might have considered it, but I asked the hostess if I could change a small bill because the nearby parking station was not accepting credit cards She refused, mumbling something ridiculous about her "manager." Needless to say we went somewhere else for our drink. My husband is a regular there for business lunches but I do not plan to return. I will discourage him from returning also. Train your hostesses to be more gracious.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Farmington Hills, Michigan
“Nice, but don't need to go back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We went to celebrate my husband's birthday. There was a card on the table wishing him a happy birthday which was a nice touch. The decor and atmosphere was very nice - leather cushions, dim lit room, working telephones in vintage telephone booths, the famous "booth one" all neat - we felt as though we were apart of historic Detroit. The only thing that didn't go was the flat screen televisions on in the bar. We felt that it did take away from the ambiance.

Our server was friendly, knowledgeable and professional. She shared details on the restaurant's history and how the restaurant was referenced in the show Mad Men.

Our food was all right, except for the scallops, which were amazing!We both had crab bisque which we felt was a little bland. We both had fillets which were good, not great, but good. We ordered the gruyere cauliflower and sausage mac and cheese as sides and both were all right, nothing extraordinary.

There was a small annoyance with the wine. We had ordered a glass of Merlot and it turned out to be oxidized. We brought this to our servers attention and asked to speak to the Sommelier . The server took it to the bartender and they concluded that we were correct. They brought us a new glass, however charged us and never sent the Sommelier over. Not a deal breaker but we expected a little more from the London Chop House.

When making our reservation, I asked if there would be an acknowledgement of my husband's birthday and was informed that with the purchase of a dessert, there would be a candle in recognition of his special day. Unfortunately it was overlooked, again, not a deal breaker but noted.

I inquired when making my reservation if there would be entertainment and was advised that there would be. I imagine it started later??? - as our reservation was at 7:00.

All in all I'm glad we went, but do not need to go again.

• Visited July 2013