“If you are physically disabled, this building is torture!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Batter Up Baseball Fans!
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“If you are physically disabled, this building is torture!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

The service and room was nice. I was there for the Motor City Tattoo Expo and didn't feel judged.

But then I invited my friend that lives in town to meet me. She wears a boot due to breaking her Tibia, Fibula and Ankle a while back, and taking escalators is an olympic sport. You cannot take just any elevator to get from the 1st to 2nd floor. For some reason you can only go from 1st floor to the 3rd floor and above. And then you can only take the level A elevator to level 2 and not level 1.

Seriously had to walk around for about 45 minutes to find a way for her to get up to the 3rd floor for the expo. THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!!!! I know that it is not the Hotel's fault... blame GM and the architects. I'm just letting all those that are disabled know of the difficulties this building gives. If you are able bodied... its a cool place to stay. Good luck if you aren't.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Truckee, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

BEWARE!!!! i stayed in room 6402 and for only two night and got bitten repeatedly by bedbugs. i thought the quality for a Marriot was sub-standard, and i have never had this experience at a Marriott before, but i warn you if you are staying - be sure to do a thorough inspection before you sleep there!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I was very surprised by the negative reviews that I read about this hotel. I just stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while on a business trip & thought it was lovely. Detroit is known for being a rough, rundown city however, the hotel is located in the beautiful downtown area right on the water.

My room was small, but very neat and clean. I had a great view of the lake and Ceaser's Palace Casino from my window. The hotel itself had an awesome, unique design because it's located in the GM Renaisssance Center.

The front desk staff was very friendly & helpful. Ate a great breakfast buffett at the hotel restaurant (once again, BEAUTIFUL lake view and very friendly/helpful staff). Also had appetizers and drinks with co-workers at the hotel bar Volt located in the lobby. Food and drink were excellent and our waitress was very sweet and attentive.

I have no complaints about this hotel. I had an excellent stay!

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Detroit
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

Stayed for three nights. This place is expensive, its empty, neglected (the elevator shook much more than what could be considered comfortable) the staff were very rude and gave me all kinds of attitude when I inquired about the $13 cost of Wi-Fi. For all the expense of this hotel, the fitness room is small, there is no pool, there is no whirlpool (hot tub), and the rooms were significantly smaller than other hotels which are $50-$70 cheaper per night to stay in. In summary I would say that this hotel embodies modern Detroit, the shadow of something great that's now fallen into neglect and disrepair. Don't pay $200 per night for this over sized motel 6 (which has free Wi-Fi by the way). Stay in the Courtyard Marriott across the way. Much better over there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

I booked this hotel on priceline. I ended up paying $89 for one night.
A few friends and I went to this hotel for the Bears vs Lions football game. This hotel is right by the river, the entrance is just past the tunnel to get into Toronto. The staff was extremely friendly. The rooms were clean, and the beds were comfortable. The only problem we had was finding our way back to the parking garage from the hotel. It was a maze! After we checked out of the room, and started to drive home, I noticed that we forgot the GPS in the hotel room. We called the hotel, and they had the maid look for it. She found the GPS! I was soooo happy! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody staying in Detroit! I would definitely stay here again (if I could get a great deal again)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

I've stayed twice in this property for business travel. The first time I distinctly remember the roly-poly feeling of the circular hallways and the poor cleanliness of the rooms. In fact, on my first stay I had to change rooms not once but twice before I was able to find one that had been cleaned from the previous guest. But you get that sometimes, especially when arriving late at night. I guess.

This time I'm beginning to wonder if I'm spotting a trend. I arrived at the hotel mid-day and checked-in. All seemed well, given a room with a nice river view. The room was filthy with mysterious and unsettling carpet stains. I failed to properly inspect the bathroom until later in the evening after returning from dinner. It clearly hadn't been cleaned - aside from a fresh stack of towels, there was a partial roll of toilet tissue and no facial tissues, and obvious stains/debris from the previous guest left to greet me in the toilet.

One three other Detroit visits I've stayed at the Courtyard, connected to RenCen via a skywalk. I'd recommend that hotel 1000 times over this one. Dated furnishings can be forgiven, but such egregious housekeeping failings cannot. Skip this place and don't give them the business.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

I stayed at the Marriott-Ren Center for only two nights in September 2010 and I was happy to leave. Valet parking was terrible when I first arrived and I waited 15 minutes to have my car parked. Check-in staff was the rudest I've encountered anywhere. Layout of the property was confusing and room was small and cramped. The room I got smelled of smoke, so I called the front desk and they did move me to a new room. I've read this property also has bedbugs, but I didn't notice any in my room. Terrible service ruined my stay and I won't be back. If you want to stay at a Marriott downtown, try the Courtyard across the street.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center? Share your experiences!