“Inconvenient Building and Unimpressive Marriott” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Edina, Minnesota
“Inconvenient Building and Unimpressive Marriott”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stayed at this Marriott during a severe cold spell when the nighttime temperature was down to 14 degrees below zero. It is an expensive hotel, and when I stay at expensive hotels I expect near perfection. First, the Renaissance Center is one of the least efficient and overly complex buildings I have ever attempted to navigate. Multiple cylindrical towers, connected by these ridiculous racetracks where one must circumnavigate rather than walk directly from tower to tower. The directional signage is extremely poor, to get to the hotel lobby it requires one to walk around a lighted circular runway and then take escalators to an upper floor ... all overly elaborate. Difficult to explain, but let me tell you that this is not good architecture it is a horrible layout that never considered the needs of a traveler. Second, the hotel is not well insulated. Like I said, it was a very cold night, and I was staying on one of the upper floors in the hotel looking out across the water to Windsor Canada. I literally could not heat up the room. There was a prevailing draft that actively blew from the window wall toward my bed from the ground to about two feet upward. When I opened the curtains the entire wall of windows was covered in ice. Third, the food is very expensive -- dinner $87, breakfast $25. I know that General Motors HQ is right there, so the Marriott no doubt benefits from a lot of business travel, but it really is just not a good Marriott -- and I have stayed in a lot of Marriott hotels. Consequently, unless you must, I recommend that you stay somewhere else. Especially if it is a cold night and you want to get some sleep without the risk of freezing to death.

Green Features: There is nothing environmentally friendly about a property that is an energy drain like this one. The design and huge open spaces do nothing for energy efficiency, so I am hard-pressed to understand how they could claim any "environmentally friendly practices".
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
CSB, thank you for taking the time to write your review. We want you to know that all of your feedback has been passed to our hotel manager for his review. It is feedback such as yours which allows us to constantly improve. It should be noted that we are not only in process beginning a $30M renovation to our guest rooms, but we also are working diligently to improve signage that will allow guests to better navigate the entire property. Once again, thank you and we hope that you will in fact return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed here on a Bachelor Party weekend for a few of the guys it was their first trip to Detroit. The hotel is a great location if your going to any of a hockey game baseball game or football game. Its in walking distance but if its cold out or raining you can hop on the monorail right next door and get anywhere in downtown Detroit really fast. The Renaissance centre across the street is a perfect land mark to help you find the hotel on your way home, especially if your staggering down the road if you know what I mean.

Perfect location for Canadians as its right across from the boarder crossing, if you get lost trying to find this place you need to seek help seriously.

Only Negative no pool

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hello and thank you for writing your review! We're happy to hear that the bachelor weekend was a hit for everyone who attended! Thanks again for staying and we hope to see you again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is the best hotel in downtown Detroit, right on the river, with nice views of the lake and Canada across the water. The concierge room is very nice (for Gold and Platinum members).
The drawback is the Renaissance Center in which the hotel is located. The building is a maze and it takes a long time to get from your hotel room to the front of the building. It's difficult to get a cellphone signal on the higher floors. The hotel does offer wifi.

• Stayed November 2013
Ruth, thank you for your wonderful words about our hotel! We appreciate all of the feedback and hope to see you again soon!
Wilmette, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Kids loved our 62 floor rooms, with views out over the river and city beyond. It's not rocket science to figure out the 3rd floor lobby, but it is a big complex. Yes, it's time for the early 2014 sprucing up promised, but with over 1300 rooms and the GM headquarters next door, it's a city within a city. Service also needs a little attention as others have pointed out. I called for sheets for our pullout sofa, which a young man delivered, dumping them on the bed and departing without a thought of offering to help. When I pay $300 a night for a room, I would expect a little help. Again overall, I would recommend this hotel. This is the revived Detroit one rarely hears about, along with the fabulous museums, fascinating architecture (in various states of repair/disrepair) that makes this a different kind of destination vacation.

Room Tip: Higher floors for great views, but very chilly by floor to ceiling windows (it was about 14F).
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
AmericanInHeidelberg, thank you for your feedback and for staying. Yes, we too are very excited about our upcoming renovation and we are also excited that said renovation will relocate the thermostats away from the windows, allowing for better climate control throughout our guest rooms. We sincerely apologize for the situation with your sheets. We agree that assistance should have been offered and we thank you for bringing the situation to our attention. Thanks again for staying and we hope to see you again soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Helpful and friendly staff. Nice, clean and spacious rooms. Pay for valet. It's only a few bucks more than parking in the parking garage across the street and is much more convenient. I was in a hurry to get ready for an event and my bags took a long time to get to my room and I had to call the front desk. That's the only reason they didn't get the 5 stars from me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Costa Mesa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I hadn't been to Detroit in a long time so staying at the Mariott at the Ren Center was like visiting an old friend. The hotel is perfectly located in downtown and has great views. It's huge so it feels a bit impersonal but does the job for a business stay. You almost need a map to get around the hotel though so give yourself time when walking to the restaurants.

• Stayed December 2013
Sterling Heights
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We needed to get away for the night. Looking at reviews and amenities of downtown hotels, I gave my husband the choice of view or ratings. Since he is a "room with a view" person, the Marriott at the Renaissance Center was it. They are known for the best view in Detroit, but not the best reviews.

My husband can navigate the streets of Detroit blindfolded, yet we could not figure out for the life of us where to park and enter this hotel. The signage couldn't be any more vague. Of course we park and enter in the wrong area and then we had to navigate the rat maze like layout of the Renaissance Center. At 10:30 on a Friday night, the place is so desolate that there was no one to ask.

We finally found the registration desk and I asked about a restroom and a store to get some refreshments, I was told there were no open restrooms or stores in the building. Then when confirming my room, I asked for an unobstructed view of the city and the desk clerk changed our room to confirm this and then just let us walk away.

What she didn't tell us was that the guest elevators were down a different hallway and that you need the key card to go up past the 3rd floor. So we first got in the wrong elevators and then in the right one, didn't see the key card slot that was at the bottom of the floor buttons and didn't hear the announcement in the elevator car. We went back down to the 1st floor before we figured it out. After walking probably a mile around this place, I was really starting to get over it.

When we finally got to our hotel room, we had to search for a light switch in the complete dark, and what I found was a standard, dingy, somewhat outdated hotel room. The bedding and bathroom were clean, although a couple of lights were burned out, it was just "meh."

Then I opened our curtains to reveal our view, we just saw complete white. Up on the 65th floor, it was a foggy night in Detroit. Ughh...We decided to get some adult beverages to make the best of it. My husband asked about a local store, and the front desk said there was one right across the street. He went out the front of the hotel, only to realize what the front desk thought was a store, was an auction house. He tried to get back in the hotel to walk to the other side to get the car to drive to find a store. Nope, no entrance in the front of the hotel. He then had to walk all the way around. In the meantime, I read in the guest services book that no outside alcohol is allowed on the premises. Bawahaha! Room service was already closed and I wouldn't pay $10 a beer anyhow. I knew we should have stopped at the store before going in!

What irritates me is that a little customer service would go a long way. Make better signage to guide your guests into your hotel. Tell them how to get to their rooms. Make sure lights aren't burned out or a light switch is easily accessible in the dark. Have open restrooms. Know your city, the location and what's around it. And for God's sake, if your hotel is known for it's views, KNOW WHAT IS THE BEST VIEW during all weather and situations. That's what guests are paying for...the view, because it certainly isn't amenities or customer service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center? Share your experiences!