I stayed at this Marriott during a severe cold spell when the nighttime temperature was down to 14 degrees below zero. It is an expensive hotel, and when I stay at expensive hotels I expect near perfection. First, the Renaissance Center is one of the least efficient and overly complex buildings I have ever attempted to navigate. Multiple cylindrical towers, connected by these ridiculous racetracks where one must circumnavigate rather than walk directly from tower to tower. The directional signage is extremely poor, to get to the hotel lobby it requires one to walk around a lighted circular runway and then take escalators to an upper floor ... all overly elaborate. Difficult to explain, but let me tell you that this is not good architecture it is a horrible layout that never considered the needs of a traveler. Second, the hotel is not well insulated. Like I said, it was a very cold night, and I was staying on one of the upper floors in the hotel looking out across the water to Windsor Canada. I literally could not heat up the room. There was a prevailing draft that actively blew from the window wall toward my bed from the ground to about two feet upward. When I opened the curtains the entire wall of windows was covered in ice. Third, the food is very expensive -- dinner $87, breakfast $25. I know that General Motors HQ is right there, so the Marriott no doubt benefits from a lot of business travel, but it really is just not a good Marriott -- and I have stayed in a lot of Marriott hotels. Consequently, unless you must, I recommend that you stay somewhere else. Especially if it is a cold night and you want to get some sleep without the risk of freezing to death.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Soaring 73 floors above the Detroit River, the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center is ideally located in downtown Detroit, situated on the RiverWalk and next to Hart Plaza. The hotel is within the GM Renaissance Center, which provides convenient access to shopping, restaurants and entertainment. The Detroit "People Mover" public transportation system enables guests to visit top attractions that surround the hotel. Floor-to-ceiling windows and dramatic views highlight our hotel rooms, while a reinvented lobby boasts functional seating and business friendly amenities in a trendy setting. Delight in the stylishly urban ambiance of Volt, and enjoy breakfast, lunch, dinner and evening cocktails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Marriott, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Detroit Marriott At The Renaissance Hotel Detroit
- Detroit Renaissance At Center
- Marriott Detroit
- Renaissance Detroit