“Safe, clean, convenient” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Newcastle, Washington
“Safe, clean, convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott Renaissance Center while I was in town for a hockey match. I was debating to stay in Detroit or Windsor, Ontario. Because I did not want to have the potential problem of being stalled at border security on the day of my flight back home, I chose to stay in Detroit.

One of my considerations was the safety in downtown Detroit. I spoke to many people, and they all had different opinions as to the safety in Detroit. I had no issues at all. I felt perfectly safe everywhere I went.

The hotel itself was a typical Marriott. A large scale hotel with full amenities (restaurant, cafe, lounge, gym, etc.). The beds were comfortabe and the bathroom was clean and not too small. The views from the upper floors were nice as well. One interesting thing was that you had to use your key card to access the floors in the elevator. A bit of a hassle, but a good safety feature.

The Marriott is convenient to many things downtown. Detroit has a People Mover, which is basically an elevated one directional monorail. It has about 15 stops in a circular pattern through downtown Detroit. One of the stops is the Marriott. We were able to take the People Mover from the Marriott to Joe Louis Arena and then to Greek Town and back to the Marriott. Very easy and safe.

All in all, a good stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Novi, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I proposed to my girlfriend at the Christmas Tree in Campus Martius Park and booked a room at the Detroit Marriott as a surprise after the proposal. After booking the room, I contacted the hotel and let them know what I was planning before my stay. I asked for a room with a view for the special occasion and an early check-in time so that I could put some flowers and champagne in the room before bringing her up. Management at the hotel was very understanding and assured me that they would help make it a special occasion.

When I arrived at the hotel I let the front desk staff know that I had requested an early check in. The person who was in my room had requested a late check out but the staff made sure to contact housekeeping and let them know I was there. The room was ready very quickly and I was able to get in with plenty of time to spare. To my surprise, I was upgraded to a suite with a fantastic view on the 62nd floor and was able to check in early to get the room ready!

After the proposal (she said yes, btw) I took her to the room before going out to celebrate. She absolutely loved the room and view! It was a great place to spend a special night. We also had drinks at the Volt bar in the lobby and the breakfast buffet in the morning. Everything was great and I would highly recommend a stop here during your stay, especially for the breakfast buffet!

Thanks again to the management and staff at the Detroit Marriott for being so accommodating and going above and beyond to make my stay a memorable one!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great hotel location, only a couple of blocks away from Ford Field and right on the Windsor tunnel for easy access to Canada should that be in the travel plans. Good river views and some great restaurants inside the hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Beamsville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed as a girl's getaway and originally booked a city view room. What a surprise to be upgraded to the 64th floor overlooking the river!
Room was nice, however, I expected at least a mini fridge in the room as well as a fan in the bathroom.
Beds were super comfy :)
Otherwise, everyone we encountered were very helpful and friendly. Also, very close to the people mover!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
urbana ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel. I had a riverfront view on the 54th floor. The high speed elevators were very impressive--they whisked us quickly back and forth from our room to the 4th floor, where our large conference meetings were held. Never had to wait more than a minute or two for elevator service. Our room was clean, and the beds were comfortable. However, the bathroom was really cramped. Also, I had requested that extra pillows and towels be provided -- they were not. Not only that, but the dirty towels (left on the floor) were not replaced when the room was cleaned the next day. Finally, a word about the increasingly high ($15.99 per day!) fee for "High Speed" Internet. I deeply resent this surcharge. We live in a world where being without Internet service close at hand, particularly for business travelers, is unacceptable. Many, many hotels include this amenity in their rates. I detest having this fee tacked on to my nightly rates, as Marriott chooses to do. In my way of thinking, the more high-end the hotel, the more amenities should be included in the room rate, not padded on to inflate the bill. Given a choice, I would not stay here again!

Room Tip: Be wary of rooms directly facing the river and Canada -- you may pick up a Canadian cell tower and h...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
joel_fuller, Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you for providing the hotel valuable feedback about your stay- We certainly apologize for the request to your room not being completed. We do work very hard to make sure all guests request are handled effeciently and promptly. The cost of internet is great feeback in which we continue to evualate among our competition.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

First off, a shout out to some of the wonderful people who work here: Arlisa in the fitness center is helpful and lovely, Angela and a few others at the front desk were helpful and the servers in Volt were great. Good fitness center, as well.

Otherwise, I was very disappointed in this hotel. Gigantic, a little dusty and spooky at night. Overly quiet in the rooms, with no fan in the bathroom. The office center charges you outrageously, and I was charged for a phone call to the hotel's own shoe polishing service. Just little disrespectful nickle and dime things like that.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Growing up in the city through the mid-80s before heading away for college I used to visit the RenCen to go to the movies, hang out with friends, and do a little shopping. This was my first time staying at the hotel while in town for a high school reunion but I'd certainly stay here again. Our room on the 53rd floor had a great view of the Detroit Riverfront. The room was clean and well maintained. The staff was professional and accommodating. Within the center you still have access to a movie theater, CVS, Starbucks, and other shops.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center? Share your experiences!