“Great location, great staff, worst bedding ever” 3 of 5 stars

Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 River Place, Detroit, MI 48207   |
Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Canada
“Great location, great staff, worst bedding ever”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We were of a mind to love this place, the location and the staff were incredible. However the rooms were in serious need of repair and we could not understand how it made sense to cover a king size hotel bed with a thin blanket. No comforter, minimum pillows. Yeah, we just didn't get it. We stayed in the summer so we weren't too cold but it made the space look really cheap, what would it take to get comforters or maybe even quilts. Loved the location though. It was so wonderful just sitting out in front of the hotel at sunset, peaceful and lovely.

Room Tip: Bring your own comforter and toiletries, maybe a few extra pillows. Spend some time chatting with t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

While looking for a “Get-Away” to clear my mind of stress and concerns I decided to take a Winter Break in Detroit. When making my reservations on line for my favorite summer spot “Roberts Riverwalk Hotel”, I found the hotel did not have rooms available for certain days of my choice. One simple e-mail on their “contact information” on line resulted in a fast response advising me my desired days would be accommodated. Upon arrival (which due to my transportation schedule was 7 hours prior to check-in time) I was greeted with a warm smile and genuine and professional customer service. They advised no River View Rooms were yet available however offered to keep my luggage in secure storage to allow me to easily enjoy breakfast and partake in activities of the day. In a very short time I was advised my room was available and I was treated to a beautiful room with an excellent view of the Detroit River. Housekeeping checked with me to confirm my room was satisfactory and I had everything I needed. During my stay I had learned of several challenges the Hotel had recently experienced and was once again amazed how everyone remained positive and served with the greatest professionalism but in a very personable manner. The Bistro which serves delicious food, always beautifully presented and severed by professional wait persons complete with a beautiful view of Detroit River creates a wonderful atmosphere for morning breakfast and dinner. The Bistro and staff create a very welcome, relaxing and fun spot to end the day. When they learned I had a special DJ and radio program I enjoyed they quickly streamed the program for me. Knowing I enjoyed Basketball and sports they would keep the TV on sports programs. They quickly learn your likes and preferences and make it their goal to keep you comfortable. I found myself receiving VIP treatment and observed that the same courtesy and professionalism was offered to all. The rooms are elegantly designed and furnished. There is much space and the free WIFI allows business to be done from the comfort of the desk in the room. The housekeeping staff is amazing. While enjoying breakfast, I would return to find my room freshened, cleaned, sheets changed and bed beautifully prepared. During my stay they were also hosting a conference. It was a true joy to watch the true teamwork of the entire staff as they prepared for the conference attending to every need with dedicated attention, while at the same time always severed every need or desire I had with the same professional service. During the final days of my stay, as I woke and looked out on the River I saw what appeared to be the shape of a heart in the river. During the day as the river was thawing the shape grew. Every time I looked out my window the heart was there to greet me. Jokingly I told the staff I had never been treated to having a heart formed in a River for my viewing pleasure and greatly appreciated it. As I now think about the week and my wonderful experience I am convinced the heart was a true reflection of the love that radiated from the staff of Roberts Riverwalk Hotel. They truly set the standard on professional customer service that is provided from the heart. Many hotels will claim to make you feel at home --- however at Roberts Riverwalk Hotel – I felt I was at “Grandmas” house. That special place where you are greeted with hugs and smiles, spoiled and pampered during your entire stay, served the most delicious meals made with love and surrounded by real family that simply want to make you feel comfortable. Roberts is that very special place which you really do not want to leave -- that is why I am anxiously looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful -- however - if possible get the "River View". Any season the vie...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dayton, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

The beautiful view, historic finishes, and wonderfully helpful staff made my trip great. The food was good and the lounge team very accommodating. I can't wait to come back with my husband for a weekend getaway. He'll fall in love with it too, I'm sure.

Room Tip: The rooms with river views are incredible!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I was there with a large group of people, for the second year. The staff was gracious, accommodating, attentive. When I needed a bit of repair in bathroom, it was done promptly and well. I had a large room, comfortably king bed, excellent view over the Detroit River to Canada. The space as a whole is very attractive, from the lobby to the rooms. Conference rooms even had windows! Bar is comfortable with good beer choices. For the price it is a great option.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at Riverwalk. Everyone was really friendly and helpful. The room was enormous and very comfortable and clean. I made use of the small gym which is very new and nice. I would have loved a way to make hot water for tea in the room.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

A classic building with beautiful old fashioned rooms. This is not your ultra modern cookie cutter hotel Rather a location with character, nicely priced. if you are looking for s quiet elegant place to sleep with quality service and good uncomplicated food this is the place for you.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Roberts Riverwalk is a beautiful and historic family-run business in Detroit. The staff are outstanding, the rooms are spacious and charming, and the food is delicious. The view of the river is second to none, and the history of the hotel enhances both the atmosphere and the character of Roberts Riverwalk.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit? Share your experiences!