“Great hotel with average guest services” 3 of 5 stars

Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit
1000 River Place, Detroit, MI 48207   |
Ranked #17 of 33 hotels in Detroit
cjb2145
“Great hotel with average guest services”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Beautiful hotel in a great location. Customer service was hit and miss as well as availability of the the shuttle. I forgot tooth paste and they didn't have any there which was odd to me for the price of the room, and the A/C wasn't running at the time. They seem to be understaffed or there is a lack of understanding about what each employee's roles is at the hotel and knowledge about the little things, like when the shuttle is available. On the bright side, they had no problem moving me to a room with a river view, there were a few restaurants close by that had excellent food as well as Atwater Brewery, it is right on the Riverwalk, and there are great views of the city and Canada

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

148 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Spring Lake, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Got a deal or so we thought via Hotwire. The pictures are misleading. Where do I start.The hotel does not have a traditional lobby, upon entry there were no signs directing us where to park. In addition no designated Handicap parking (which we needed), We arrived at 3pm and our room was not ready.The hotel seems understaffed - long wait to check in. We were told to sit and we would be called up when it was our turn. Eventually about 430pm we got checked in. Our dbl queen turned out to be a dbl full size (not what we thought we reserved). There was no air only heat. We were told it was an old building they have heat or air not both.The building is old and in desperate need of restoration, rusty and broken fixtures, wall paper peeling etc.,,. Then no sleep due to loud partying people. At 3 am the bathroom facility was flushed only to overflow out onto the carpet, Maintenance comes (thank you) but takes over an hour to clean. I would stay somewhere else. What a shame this place could be awesome but it's not !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Roberts is an unusual property. It is not a normal hotel - the location is somewhat isolated although perfect for our purpose which was a nearby business meeting. The hotel is elegant in ways - but seems worn and dated also. The rooms are big but on the verge of needing remodeled.

The hotel seems understaffed - long wait to check in. Lots of little things were wrong - I was missing shampoo, my colleague was missing light bulbs. The room contains very few outlets. The room has a strange "college dorm" feel. The room is also missing a window sheer cover so the only way to have privacy from other rooms is to entirely close the blinds. As mentioned the hotels strives to be elegant and classy but peeling wallpaper is a common site. The on-site restaurant is small and not open for lunch. I did not eat there so can not comment on food quality. The area where they have a pool table is dingy/dark.

There is no luggage service - and you have haul luggage either upstairs or use a long access ramp because the actual lobby is up half a flight of stairs from the driveway. The lobby is small. The exercise facilty is also small but nice. The hotel did provide a van service and the staff was helpful in arranging taxis.

All in all - I would stay somewhere else but some people might like this hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Vienna, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Some recent reviews of this hotel are somewhat harsh and will certainly not help draw future customers. And yet, I can understand the concerns. Here's my good, bad and ugly of the Roberts Riverwalk.

The good - the location is really outstanding just north of downtown and right on the river with a view of Canada across the way. The riverwalk is right outside the door - a great location for day time running, strolling or walking. Second, a very good restaurant is only 100 yards away - the Rattlesnake Club. Great food and great service! Third, the rooms are generally quite spacious with comfortable beds. Lastly, the lobby area is pleasant with comfortable seating and a gas fireplace.

The bad - If only I could stop there. The "bones" of the hotel are good; an older structure which has been modestly renovated. But, it comes off as a renovation on a budget. The downstairs "bistro" area is shabby, dark, and uninviting. The rooms have upgraded shower and sink areas, but the wallpaper in the bathroom was tacky and dated. The rug in the bedroom was worn and ripped in one prominent location and the windows were high and small. There was poor lighting in the room, no sitting chair, just a small desk/hard chair, no coffee maker, only one wastebasket (located in the bathroom), and inadequate electrical plugs for electronic equipment. Little things, to be sure, but they add up.

Why three stars and not something lower? Two reasons - the hotel nightly rate and the promise! I paid only $119 for a one night stay and parking was free. By the way, park your own car. And I do believe this hotel can be first rate; the potential is there, the location is great, the area around it is becoming more vibrant every year. Here's hoping that the Roberts Riverwalk can find the capital to make some cosmetic enhancements and hire an experienced hotel management team. I would come back and would be willing to pay more for the improvements. Like Detroit itself, there's great hope for the future.

Room Tip: This hotel is only four stories and some of the rooms are in the side buildings. I had a side room...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Westland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I've read many bad reviews about this hotel. I stayed here in late March for a weekend event. The building is old so you get some of the twirks with that but it also has a lot of character. The hotel is right on the riverfront so you get beautiful views. The lobby and ground floor are stunning. The rooms were fairly decent and spacious. The biggest drawback is that they are understaffed. I saw the same employees during our whole stay.....wondered if they stayed on property. They were also very strict about check-in time. No getting into your room early! For an overnight stay, it fit the bill. Just don't expect quick or fast service

Room Tip: Some of the rooms without the view are bigger.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lansing, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Currently my husband and I are staying in this hotel.. We would have left tonight, if our money was at all refundable. I will try to list the HORRID events we have experienced in chronological order, so that you may see why we have arrived at the rating of one star. First of all, we chose to stay at this establishment, because it is a privately owned business, in a town that is economically unstable. This hotel is black owned and operated. Although this does not seem to be a relevant statement, it will come into play very soon.
When we reserved our room, for an anniversary trip, we requested a river view room. We were told that this would be no problem. We arrived an hour before check in, just to be sure. WELL, we were given a room with a lovely view of what seems to be an HVAC unit. Okay, whatever. Then, when we went to make coffee, and there was not any pouches for the in room coffee pot. So, upon calling the front desk (on their very jacked-up phone) We were told there was none... in the whole hotel. WOW. Then my husband went to iron his pants. Ironing board no iron. Again, called the front desk. 2 HOURS LATER, we receive an iron. Scratch that, a broken iron. another call to the front desk. A new iron was brought up. okay, so does not seem that bad yet, I know.
Just wait.
So we have a lovely dinner downtown, and come back to the hotel. We go down to the bar, and have to wait 45 minutes for a drink, while the bartender keeps telling us she will be with us in a moment. she proceeds to wait on everyone else in the bar, including 4 couples that came in after us. (everyone else in the bar including the bartender is black) My husband finally, in a loud but polite voice, asks if we can please order our drinks, With a over exaggerated sigh, she waits on us.
Waking up this morning, we find that the valet has lost alot of peoples cars. Thats right, the hotel can not figure out where in the hell the valets parked the cars the night before... we are talking a few block radius. parked them on the streets.
We received no offer of housekeeping service, even with every other room on our floor serviced.
When we asked to the office to call us a cab, we were rudley told by the manager/owner, whatever, that it would be 45 minutes to 2 hours. /Before he evencalled. Now at this point we have already taken cabs from here, and know that it takes 10 minutes tops for a cab to come. Come to find out, he ordered us a gypsy cab, some friend of his with no posted credentials or city licensing displayed.
when we get back to the hotel, we attempted to go to bed tonight, and there was a very loud party going on. When we called the front desk, they said they could move us to a different floor, at 1 am. Really, you can't have them turn down the music.... Not to mention, when i walked through a large cloud of pot smoke in the hall, and complained to the front desk, I was treated very rudely, like I was a narc or something. I am paying $200 for 2 nights, and I am the bad guy.

They ruined our anniversary weekend. I am writing this with hopes that you will heed my warning and make sure it doesn't ruin your weekend as well. PATRONS BEWARE! If we don't give these horrible people our hard earned money, maybe they will go out of business, and allow a reputable, respectable business to take its place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
South Lyon, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

It's a shame that a nice looking hotel in a great location is ruined by bad management.
I was downtown for the night with a buddy. Our plan was to go to the Tiger game, spend some time downtown and then find a place to sleep for the night. We had no plans to spend much time in the hotel, other than sleeping, so we should be easy to please???

We booked our room through hotwire.com. As soon as I booked, I called the hotel to make sure I could get 2 beds. They said no, I have 1 king, but the guy that identified himself as the 'General Manager' on the phone guaranteed he would have a roll-away bed waiting for me when I got to the hotel.

When I got to the hotel, of course, the same guy said he didn't have one available, but he would make sure it was setup in my room by the time we went to bed (2am).

Of course, we get to the hotel at 2am ready for bed, no roll-away bed in our room. I asked the guy at the front desk and he gave me the "nobody told me you wanted a bed" routine, and basically said it wasn't his problem.

I'm not staying here again.

Room Tip: From my experience, I wouldn't ask them for any favors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit? Share your experiences!