“Not so bad....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 34 hotels in Detroit
Westland
“Not so bad....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I've read many bad reviews about this hotel. I stayed here in late March for a weekend event. The building is old so you get some of the twirks with that but it also has a lot of character. The hotel is right on the riverfront so you get beautiful views. The lobby and ground floor are stunning. The rooms were fairly decent and spacious. The biggest drawback is that they are understaffed. I saw the same employees during our whole stay.....wondered if they stayed on property. They were also very strict about check-in time. No getting into your room early! For an overnight stay, it fit the bill. Just don't expect quick or fast service

Room Tip: Some of the rooms without the view are bigger.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Lansing, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Currently my husband and I are staying in this hotel.. We would have left tonight, if our money was at all refundable. I will try to list the HORRID events we have experienced in chronological order, so that you may see why we have arrived at the rating of one star. First of all, we chose to stay at this establishment, because it is a privately owned business, in a town that is economically unstable. This hotel is black owned and operated. Although this does not seem to be a relevant statement, it will come into play very soon.
When we reserved our room, for an anniversary trip, we requested a river view room. We were told that this would be no problem. We arrived an hour before check in, just to be sure. WELL, we were given a room with a lovely view of what seems to be an HVAC unit. Okay, whatever. Then, when we went to make coffee, and there was not any pouches for the in room coffee pot. So, upon calling the front desk (on their very jacked-up phone) We were told there was none... in the whole hotel. WOW. Then my husband went to iron his pants. Ironing board no iron. Again, called the front desk. 2 HOURS LATER, we receive an iron. Scratch that, a broken iron. another call to the front desk. A new iron was brought up. okay, so does not seem that bad yet, I know.
Just wait.
So we have a lovely dinner downtown, and come back to the hotel. We go down to the bar, and have to wait 45 minutes for a drink, while the bartender keeps telling us she will be with us in a moment. she proceeds to wait on everyone else in the bar, including 4 couples that came in after us. (everyone else in the bar including the bartender is black) My husband finally, in a loud but polite voice, asks if we can please order our drinks, With a over exaggerated sigh, she waits on us.
Waking up this morning, we find that the valet has lost alot of peoples cars. Thats right, the hotel can not figure out where in the hell the valets parked the cars the night before... we are talking a few block radius. parked them on the streets.
We received no offer of housekeeping service, even with every other room on our floor serviced.
When we asked to the office to call us a cab, we were rudley told by the manager/owner, whatever, that it would be 45 minutes to 2 hours. /Before he evencalled. Now at this point we have already taken cabs from here, and know that it takes 10 minutes tops for a cab to come. Come to find out, he ordered us a gypsy cab, some friend of his with no posted credentials or city licensing displayed.
when we get back to the hotel, we attempted to go to bed tonight, and there was a very loud party going on. When we called the front desk, they said they could move us to a different floor, at 1 am. Really, you can't have them turn down the music.... Not to mention, when i walked through a large cloud of pot smoke in the hall, and complained to the front desk, I was treated very rudely, like I was a narc or something. I am paying $200 for 2 nights, and I am the bad guy.

They ruined our anniversary weekend. I am writing this with hopes that you will heed my warning and make sure it doesn't ruin your weekend as well. PATRONS BEWARE! If we don't give these horrible people our hard earned money, maybe they will go out of business, and allow a reputable, respectable business to take its place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Detroit
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

It's a shame that a nice looking hotel in a great location is ruined by bad management.
I was downtown for the night with a buddy. Our plan was to go to the Tiger game, spend some time downtown and then find a place to sleep for the night. We had no plans to spend much time in the hotel, other than sleeping, so we should be easy to please???

We booked our room through hotwire.com. As soon as I booked, I called the hotel to make sure I could get 2 beds. They said no, I have 1 king, but the guy that identified himself as the 'General Manager' on the phone guaranteed he would have a roll-away bed waiting for me when I got to the hotel.

When I got to the hotel, of course, the same guy said he didn't have one available, but he would make sure it was setup in my room by the time we went to bed (2am).

Of course, we get to the hotel at 2am ready for bed, no roll-away bed in our room. I asked the guy at the front desk and he gave me the "nobody told me you wanted a bed" routine, and basically said it wasn't his problem.

I'm not staying here again.

Room Tip: From my experience, I wouldn't ask them for any favors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

1.dirty dirty
no service,no managment
the only good think is view -
food is not etable
total disaster
I stay in this hotel in april-brekfast is 100% sugar
juce is deluted with water
coffe is made with non boiling water
this hotel should be close by goverment

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Breakfast was danish,coffee and orange juice. The next day it was the same thing but old coffee the cranberry juice had orange juice droppings on the lid, the pastry's was frozen. There excuse was the prep was running late. When I got to the hotel they gave my room a way with the river view. There excuse was a wedding party. Parking is terrible. I will never recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed April 2013
Lafayette, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I had a reservation through their own website, When I arrived, I was told there is no room left! I waited for a while, finally they got me a room. Too hot (ac not working), not clean, broken lamps (I had to search for 5-6 min in darkness to find a working lamp), hot water not working (both tabs dispense cold water), and finally the most interesting part comes: NO DRINKING WATER IN THE HOTEL!!! The staff told me I have to walk to the closest CVS to buy water! I checked out and moved to a new hotel. I am paying a little bit more but I am staying at a real hotel not a barn!
Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very close to the downtown area and kind of secluded. I liked the location, felt like I was at a bed&breakfast. The price is really reasonable compared to the hotels downtown. The hotel decor is beautiful. The lobby needs a remodel, a professional desk would be nice. Our room had high ceilings, which was gorgeous. Our riverview of Canada was nice. They need to pay more attention to the bathroom. The knob in the shower fell off and the the water pressure is crazy. The bathroom could get a remodel as well. There was also a hole in the wall behind the door. Overall it wasn't bad and I'm a picky person when it comes to hotels. If they put some money into it, this hotel wouldhotel be gorgeous.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit? Share your experiences!