“Downtown for a couple days for NYE.” 3 of 5 stars

Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit
1000 River Place, Detroit, MI 48207   |
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Ferndale, Michigan, USA
“Downtown for a couple days for NYE.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

It has been 4 years since our last visit to what is now Roberts Riverwalk. (formally the Omni) I am happy that it re-opened after being closed for a year or so. The hotel is located right on the river with most rooms having a wonderful view. The hotel seems to be under staffed, no bell-hops, so if you can find a luggage cart you must take it down a ramp, through the lounge area and take the elevator up to the first floor so you can check-in. The valet is only there sometimes so you may have to find your car. We saw some room service trays outside a few rooms for quite a few hours, we couldn't figure out why because the cleaning staff were seen in the hallways. The hotel looks dated, just needs a little TLC. We found the staff to very friendly and helpful and if you are interested in a cocktail, Kimberly makes a good drink! Overall the hotel is not bad, for the price. (We stayed two nights for $250) with some love, the 'Riverwalk' could be a Detroit gem.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This hotel was awful! I've never been treated so poorly by a hotel in my entire life. From the check in taking almost an hour (only one person "working" the front desk) to the hour wait for a shuttle that was "just fifteen minutes away," to the broken vending machines, to the horrible parking, my stay could not have been worse. Upon checkout, after waiting for fifteen minutes for someone to help me, I was informed I was being charged a "smoking" fee even though I don't smoke. The manager finally came, checked the room, said we wouldn't be charged. I asked for a receipt to show, because they already tried charging my card, but they would not provide one. I asked for the employee's name, and she refused to tell me (there were no name tags, and the "manager" already left. I even asked if I could take a picture of the screen that showed I would not be charged for the pending transactions, but that was refused. I contacted Hotwire about this experience, and they removed it from ever appearing in any future search of mine--if only everyone else was as fortunate.

Room Tip: To find a good room, choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I had stayed at this hotel for a night a few years ago when it was called the Omni and had a nice time, although our visit was very brief. So I was pleasantly surprised when my Hotwire purchase turned out to be the (now named) Roberts Riverwalk. First of all the location, to my taste, is wonderful. Despite the number of abandoned industrial buildings in the area, the River Front is beautiful and there are many parks, concert venues and a surprising number of bars, restaurants and breweries tucked in between the various brooding, empty buildings. I never had any problems and the police are very present. I felt very safe in the neighborhood. For whatever reason I like this type of gritty, urban area. If you prefer something closer to the city night life, or you aren't comfortable in wandering around abandoned buildings, well then you probably wouldn't be in Detroit in the first place. Upon entering you have to walk up a short set of stairs to reach the lobby (unless you notice the ramp that heads down to the bar area and gives access to an elevator before you enter) I had a couple boxes of samples, some dj equipment and my bag so it took me 3-4 trips up and down the stairs to get to the lobby. There was no bellman...The Lobby is very nice, there is no counter, the staff sits at Desks to check you in which is more personal in my opinion. There was a nice fire in the fireplace, Christmas decorations were up and it made quite a nice impression, once I caught my breath from my little stair work out. Once out of the lobby the hotel starts to show its age a little bit, stains on the carpet, some dirt on the walls etc... But I would say it has better decoration and appointments than 75% of the hotels I stay in, just could use some real TLC... My room was nice if a little dated, but had all the amenities I like - Free internet, Free parking, flat screen tv, nice desk, plugs, real glasses instead of plastic etc... The hole punched in my closet door should be fixed, but If this were the end of my stay I'd give the Hotel great if not rave reviews... But.... If you wish to avail yourself of the restaurant or lounge area downstairs this is where the Roberts Riverwalk really needs to step up its game... The continental breakfast that is included with the room, is not continental or breakfast by anyone's standard. A small bowl of fruit, some chunks of pastry on a plate and coffee is not really breakfast. Lunch wasn't better. Since I was working in my room for the morning, I wanted to grab a quick lunch before leaving for my appointments. I went down to the restaurant / bar and pulled up a seat. I didn't see a soul for 15 minutes. I finally called the restaurant from my cell phone and a flustered bartender finally came out from somewhere in the back to pick up the ringing phone, and would have quickly disappeared again if I hadn't called out to him. Lunch was mediocre, a chicken picata that tasted like it had been warmed in a microwave and was so salty I could feel my blood pressure rising as I ate it.... I had originally booked on hotwire for 2 nights, but ended up needing to stay in Detroit an extra 2 nights, so I re-booked using their own website for $35 more per night so I wouldn't have to switch rooms. After a busy day of meetings on my 3rd day, I didn't feel like going out for dinner so decided to give the restaurant another try, big mistake... A surly bartender seemed angry I turned up and disrupted her conversation with another customer (boyfriend?). She disappeared after taking my order and no one came back to fix the skipping CD player for 5 minutes or more. My dinner was as bland as my lunch had been salty and she never asked if I wanted another beer. (same menu at dinner as at lunch)... I retired to my room exhausted after a long day... I was awakened from a sound sleep at 1:15 AM by my room phone ringing... It was the night manager inquiring as to whether I was still in my room or not... Half asleep, I explained that I had extended my stay and confirmed my room with the receptionist in the previous morning. It took her a few minutes to find my new reservation and once she confirmed I had re-booked and paid, she hung up with barely an apology for calling at 1:15... Did this really need to be done at 1;15 AM? I never did fall back to sleep and the more I couldn't get back to sleep the angrier I became... I was willing to overlook some of the blemishes of this hotel, but the rude staff in the restaurant and the middle of the night wake up call has me fuming... Will I try this hotel again? I honestly don't know...

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This hotel is in a refurbished turn of the century industrial building right along the river and about a mile from downtown Detroit. It's a different concept than than most hotels, but the team running this is doing a very nice job. I had a nice conversation with one of the managers and they have apparently made some changes recently and are working to make this a first class property.

My room was larger than most other hotels and very nicely furnished in sort of a retro theme. Overall it had a very elegant style. Room was very clean and quiet. I thought that the room could have used just a bit more light though for doing paperwork in the evening, but that's a minor point.

The staff I encountered from front-desk attendants, van driver and server were all very gracious and went out of the way to make me feel welcome.There is not much around the hotel, so I ate in the bar/restaurant both nights of my stay and the food and service were very good. There is a free breakfast, but it consists of just a muffin and coffee. A full breakfast is available in the restaurant also.

This would be a nice location for a weekend getaway or other event. Definitely worth consideration.

Roswell, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is the first time I am writing a review; however I think it is really important to inform potential consumers. I stayed here four nights last week. The hotel was booked through Priceline's bidding process, therefore I could not cancel.
Dirty, dingy, and understaffed. These words describe the hotel perfectly. The lobby of the hotel itself was spectacular with river views, but the halls and the rooms were very dark and dingy. The elevator was dirty .The mattress pad in the room (took a picture, will post it soon) had a large brown stain. I had to remind the front desk several times to clean our rooms. Day 2 we got back at 9 PM and our room was not cleaned, even after we reminded the front desk. Dirty bathroom and carpet. The pillows had a disgusting smell. Coffee machine did not work, however they were kind enough to send us a pot of coffee. Day 3, we did not get any coffee because "housekeeping had not arrived". This was at 8:30 AM!
The hotel staff, including the housekeeping team (if there is one) did not seem professionally trained. I have never used this word, but in this case I think I should...Ghetto. There I have said it!
According to Priceline this hotel is 31/2 stars. No way. It seemed more like a motel
IMPORTANT- this is NOT A FAMILY HOTEL

Some good points of the hotel (I think I should include this):
Free parking and WIFI.
Across from the River.
Charming building
Safe

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Rude, unprofessional service. Dirty bathroom amd stained sheets. The only thing this place has is location and location is not everything in this case. Room in need of better sound insulation, the band below was vibrating the floor.

• Stayed November 2012
Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Initially, I booked this hotel last month during a trip to Detroit via Priceline's Express Deal, for $57/night. I was very apprehensive.
From the moment I arrived and throughout my stay, I could not have been more pleased. The decor, room size, furnishings, continental breakfast, view of the river across to Windsor, Canada -- everything -- far exceeded not only my expectations, but also my hope for something nice. The beds are comfy pillowtops and the maintenance of the hotel is outstanding. You definitely need to use a navigation system to find it (just make the turn down the street next to the Staples store) as it is tucked away behind some residential apartments and biz bldgs -- but it is well worth seeking out. You can certainly spend alot more, but you won't get alot more. I am writing this review as I enjoy a second stay here and we plan to return in January. Live jazz at times during the week and a well-maintained billiards table downstairs are atypical bonuses that set this place even further apart from the rest of your Detroit options.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit? Share your experiences!