“All in all not bad - but watch your credit card statement!” 3 of 5 stars

Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit
1000 River Place, Detroit, MI 48207   |
Ranked #17 of 33 hotels in Detroit
Paw Paw, Michigan
“All in all not bad - but watch your credit card statement!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I booked and paid for a room through hotwire.com for a Tigers game. I paid hotwire with my debit card, used a credit card for incidental charges. After going through my credit card statement I found they had charged my credit card for the stay as well. I spoke with the front desk who acknowledged I had been double charged and said I would be contacted about a refund, but never heard back from them and had to dispute the charge with my credit card company.
Other than the above the stay was ok, its not in the greatest part of town, the shuttle only ran from 3-9p (during Tigers ALDS no less!). Rooms were average for a chain style hotel, only a bit dated, and the thing that caught me off guard was the low celing (but I'm 6'4"). Not bad if you can get a deal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Mattawan, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hotel is located right on the Detroit River and Riverwalk. It is a little off the beaten path and directions through mapping sites were confusing so you just have to ask. Parking looks limited (free), but we never had trouble finding a spot and this was a happening place with guests and events. The hotel has the look of a boutique hotel - no large imposing front desk - just receptionists sitting at regular desks so a real welcoming feel. We learned that this used to be a Parke-Davis research facility and found the history of the building to be interesting. The hotel has as bit of age on the decor, but is not shabby at all. The rooms are clean, generously sized and well equipped - our party had a queen room (2 beds) and king room with free wi-fi in room. Bathrooms are large and spacious and towels are nice (we did have to ask for extra ones and that was no problem). The shower head was a bit low and tub didn't drain well and the room was a little warm, but those were our only complaints. We found the staff to be helpful and pleasant. On the lower level they serve a sparse continental breakfast (packaged pastries, yogurt and fruit) in the mornings and there is also a restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is a nice bar on the river side and we understand it hosts specailty events (a Sweetest Day jazz event while we were there). We found a round table in a nook off the lobby where we enjoyed playing cards in our downtime. You can easily leave your car parked and walk a few blocks to catch a bus to area attractions if you want to avoid the overpriced parking in the city. We also enjoyed the Riverwalk right outside the hotel door (security patrols the area, but it is very safe). They do have a shuttle service - we used this for the Detroit Marathon which we in town for. We would easily stay here again!

Room Tip: You might want to ask for a river view room - lots of large boat traffic on the river to watch. Roo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Great location on Detroit River. Large suites, warm friendly staff. Vince the driver of the shuttle (my wife Joyce suggests a stool to get in the shuttle) great tour guide. Also as the chef in the dining room...........makes a great omelette.
Believe it or not a safe neighborhood in Detroit. Look forward to returning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Riverwalk is a nice area, the room was spacious and clean, large bathroom, continental breakfast was included if you call coffee, juice and Danish breakfast. Parking was free and short drive to Ford Field.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The Riverwalk Hotel is in a convenient location to downtown Detroit (although a bit out of the main business area). The rooms are spacious and clean. The grounds of the hotel are contiguous to a river front trail that offers a decent place to run. Finally, the hotel offers a shuttle service that is really generous in their transportation.

There is, however, something "off" about the hotel. It is not anyone thing - but more a general lack of attention to detail. An example of what I mean by this statement - we went to the bar in the basement of the hotel. The bar was sparsely populated. The server worked hard to get us a couple of drinks - but had a difficult time getting a beer as they were sold out of almost every brand we ordered.

Given the lack of amenities around the hotel and the older decor of the facilities - I would suggest that anyone with business in the downtown core of Detroit consider staying closer to the city center.

Room Tip: Request a room in the back of the property facing the water and the river walk.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Russellville, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Like much of Detroit, the hotel is a past time. It is old but has been kept up well. The staff was friendly and helpful.

The Riverwalk is a nice area of walkiing. I wouldn't advice getting far off the Riverwalk though. There is nothing around the Hotel. The nearest main road is Jefferson, but it is a bit run down.

I had trouble finding the hotel on my GPS with an address of 1000 River Place. My GPS only went up to 699 River Place. If you continue past the Rattle Snake Club on Riverplace you will eventually get to the hotel at the end of the block.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with a River view. I didn't and wish I had.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I booked a riverview room as recommended by several of the reviewers below. When I got there, I found out that those rooms were overbooked, so I was upgraded to a suite, so I can't judge the quality of the standard rooms. I found the service to be very good.

This hotel is a bit out of the way from the downtown core, but it shouldn't be a deterrant. After all, the parking's free and relatively secure. There's a few places to walk to (Andrew's on the Corner is a good pub with local beers).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit? Share your experiences!