“Lovely historic riverfront” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Orlando, Florida
“Lovely historic riverfront”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Charming surprise. If this place had a pool and jacuzzi I would probably stay here for months. Beautifully restored historic brick building right on the RiverWalk with views out over the water. Lovely brick patio next to the water. Unique artwork, beautiful furnishings, high ceilings and oversized windows that actually open make this a pleasant treat that is not overly pricey. Staff is no nonsense, so people looking for people to open doors and carry luggage (wait on them hand and foot) may be disappointed. I like the casualness and am happy to handle my own luggage and chat rather than being bowed to and run circles around. New owners and GM have put soul into this and it works wonderfully. I expect it to get better and better.

Room Tip: ask to get a room looking over the river
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Oak Park
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I really like to patronize the city that I grew up in by wanting to plan a yearend gathering at this historical location. However, the moment we arrived it went downhill.

1. Staff was not available to help us with our luggage.

2. We had to find the luggage cart ourselves, which I only saw two that are available for the entire hotel.

3. The young lady at the front desk, yet pleasant, did not understand that I should have received a AAA discount, but kept saying that the suite I had usually runs $599, so I already had a discount even without the AAA discount. We all know this is not the case. ;-(

4. When we arrived to the "so called" penthouse that was assigned to us, it was already occupied by someone else. The domestic staff member on the floor assisted us by calling the front desk, in which we heard the man at the desk going off and blaming us for getting the wrong room. WHAT???

5. We had to go all the way back to the front desk and they still could not figure out why our original "so called" penthouse was occupied. They hesitantly assigned us to another one like it was our fault!

6. When we arrived at the second assigned "so called" penthouse, we unloaded and proceeded to get ready for our event. However, we noticed that it was warm on the second level. We then turned up the air. However, we still had to go out to purchase a fan for the second level because it was still too warm.

7. During our gathering we then noticed that there were wires hanging out of a hole in the cathedral ceiling where it seems that a light fixture should have been placed.

8. There was also another gathering on this floor at the same time, so another residence wanted us to quiet down, in which we all complied. This information was given to us by the staff member that was the general manager. I have NEVER in my life seen a general manager of any establishment have such lack of professionalism in my life. The GM started off speaking to us like she was having a conversation with someone on the street, totally disrespectful!!!! She quickly changed her tone, when she figured out that she was speaking to women, who were educated and professional. This still did not set right with the women in our "so called" penthouse. Some of my guest went to the front desk to complain, but had to wait in line because there were several other guests at the front desk logging in their complaints about the hotel.

I just want to say that we WANT this establishment to succeed. However, we will NOT accept this type of service, especially if we are paying over $500 for a "so called" penthouse. We ask that you step your game up!

Regards,

Unsatisifed Guest

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

This was hands down the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. There was dried human excrement on one of the sheets, but even after several calls to the desk and a talk with housekeeping, they never replaced it. As if that's not enough, everything else about our stay was terrible too.

(1) They didn't have a menu for their restaurant in the rooms, and the desk didn't have a menu either.
(2) They couldn't/wouldn't recommend any nearby restaurants when it turned out that their restaurant is 100% meat (not even any fish), and my spouse is a vegetarian.
(3) We wanted a refrigerator in our room, and it took four phone calls over the course of a day and a half to finally get one.

Basically, the staff were completely unhelpful and would only do their jobs if you got right in their faces.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenwich, Ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

My husband had surgery at St John Hospital and needed a place to stay convenient enough to go back and forth. First of all, at check in, we were able to get a different type accommodation despite a large convention going on downtown. I read previous reviews complaining about lack of hot water and had same problem first night but engineer explained what to do due to age of building. No problem, just some patience. The evening front desk staff was so gracious and caring, asking nightly how my husband was doing. Bartender at downstairs bar was professional and welcoming to me as well as others. We will definitely return if we need to return to Detroit.

Rsdba
Connecticut

Room Tip: First floor room was very quiet with high ceiling
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

For the past three years, I always seem to come back to this private oasis on the Detroit River. The staff has a sense of humor, the hotel restaurant cuisine is impeccable, and the hotel's historic significance make this riverfront hotel an exceptional home away from home. One last thing - the hotel rates are right on the money!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Beautiful hotel with a friendly staff, however most of the things they offer are extremely limited. For example, they have a shuttle but it only runs every couple of hours. They have a continental breakfast that is little more than muffins and coffee, but they try to get you to buy food from their totally understaffed lounge. Don't do it. Its barely edible. There were no bathrobes, and we had to to request clean sheets when we arrived. Our room was never vacuumed or restocked with towels. The internet service is spotty at best. The double rooms are huge but dont have microwaves or refrigerators. They have a riverwalk that connects with downtown, except it was blocked off during our visit, which no one seemed aware of, since they recommended we walk that way to get to Hart Plaza
Over all I would say its an ok hotel, but not worth $100/night.

Room Tip: get a double. the singles are only about a quarter of the size, and make sure you request a fridge a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

PROS:

- It's not located downtown where all of the attractions are but was right on the river that seperates the US from Canada. If you go out the hotel lobby doors you are on the boardwalk. The boardwalk is a nice, well kept, 5 mile concrete stretch where you can walk along the water. It was a really nice day and my mom & walked for quite a ways & never felt like our safety
was in jeopardy. There were other people walking their dogs & riding bikes.

- What I liked best about this place is that the hotel has a shuttle that will drop you off and pick you up anywhere you want downtown which was awesome! We had "Vince" drop us off at MotorCity Casino & pick us up @ Hockeytown about 5 hrs later. All we had to do is call him and he came within 10 mins. We tipped him $4 each way since the ride was free.

- Parking is free & is out back on the old tennis courts. Its fenced in and our cars were fine overnight.

CONS:

- this hotel was pretty loud. talking/laughing/hollering/doors slamming in the hallways all hours of the night.

- theres an elevator but you still have to haul your luggage up and down the stairs which was difficult with your hands full.

- rooms could have been cleaner. I noticed a smear of blood on the wallpaper next to the toilet. yuck! And a little shampoo cap from the last guest sitting up on the shower ledge with black hair wrapped around it. Yuck again!

- I had absolutely NO cell phone signal in our room which was pretty irritating. As soon as I stepped outside of the building, I had full bars of service. It didn't make a difference when I tried connecting to their wi-fi either. It'd connect for 10 secs and then gone again. Must be some sort of interference in the rooms? This place used to be a pharmaceutical
building back in the day so who knows.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit? Share your experiences!