“OK Soul Food Spot” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #270 of 977 Restaurants in Detroit
Description: This is a southern/soul food restaurant. This cuisine type is not specified in your list which is very surprsing. Awesome food recommended by locals who worked in a local museum.
Saint Louis, Missouri
“OK Soul Food Spot”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We were in Detroit for the Jr Olympics and this place was recommended to us. We went on a Thursday evening they told us it would be a 45 min wait for a group of 25. There were lots of out of town people here looking for soul food. When you drive up you find out you have to pay 3.00 to park on the parking lot, so I found a spot on the street. Its not located in the best part of town so dont park to far away. After 50 min they told us it would be another 45 min wait, this did not go over we'll with our group so we decided to leave. They some how found seating right away. Waitress was very nice and took our orders for food but never asked if we wanted something to drink. They did put a glass of water on the tables for each person. The food came in a reasonable amount of time. The food was very good and I heard no one complain about what they ordered. They need to spend some money to make the place look a better , but I would come here again. Prices were very reasonable.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

DETROIT
“Get a carryout”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The food is good, but the place is filthy and you pay for everything. The carpet and bathrooms are dirty. What is that purple stuff on the ceiling that looks like it holding bacteria? i went there to celebrate a birthday and our party bought the birthday cake and we were charge 1.50 per plate. We were told that it was " House rules" because they sell dessert. I do understand, however they do not sell Birthday cakes. Furthermore, we were told that they do not split checks. Doubt if I will ever dine there again!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ohio
“Food was good, bathrooms needed some work”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Once before I had visited this location and the food was exceptional. Absuloutly everything was great. The food was good this time, but someone used a lot of seasoning salt on the greens. We love greens, but this was the first time we left them on the plate. The chicken,dressing, gravy, macaroni and cheese, sweet potatoes, and cornbread were good. My family believes my cooking is better, but this cook was grateful to have someone else "slinging the hash". The wait staff were friendly and prompt. There is a valet assisted parking lot which we used, but free curb side parking is plentiful. My second complaint is with the bathrooms. I assume there was a big lunch rush, as we were seated in the late afternoon and no one had time to clean the bathrooms. However, they should always make time. Paper towels were on the floor and the floor was wet. It just wasn't the cleaniest place. I saw on line were someone complained about the dark decor. That didn't bother us as the food was more important. We made a side trip for this restaurant as we were actually heading for The Palace at Auburn Hills for a concert. The stop was worth it to us.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gwynn Oak, Maryland
“very good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I visited Southern Fires upon the recommendation of my cousin's relative. The restaurant is located in a converted warehouse in the city. The atmosphere is nice but not fancy. I had the four piece fried chicken, mac and cheese, and greenbeans. My cousin had the beef short ribs, green beans, and mashed potatoes; her relative had baked chicken breast, greens, and cornbread stuffing. We were all very happy with the taste and quality of the food. It was served hot and flavorful. Portions were very large! My only complaints are: they ran out of diet soda and had no alternative drink. One person in my party is diabetic and had nothing to drink other than water to choose from!; they ran out of peach cobbler!; the bathroom needed attention. We spoke to the manager who was quite friendly and assured us the bathroom would be attended to immediately. Note: there is valet parking for $3 but you can park on the street for free.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Detroit, Michigan
“dirty dirty place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I went there with some family there were chicken bones on the floor under our table, food ,straws, food in my chair ,table dirty, rude waitress's that got mad because I asked to clean the chicken bones under my table. The bathrooms were not fit for a dog to use just plain nasty.This use to be a nice place but not any more, if the dinning room nasty I wonder how clean is the kitchen.Never again will go to this fifthy place.

• Visited June 2013